zyx321

Default Wire for range repair...

The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt this wire, am I
right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN or MTW E53446*
(UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is the temperature
limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks in advance.

RBM

I can't tell you the proper wire type but THHN definitely won't do. There
are several types of high temp wire, I used to work on commercial electric
stoves and we generally used a nickel wire with a silicone and fiberglass
covering on it. you can probably call any appliance repair shop and get what
you need
"zyx321" wrote in message
. ..
The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt this wire, am
I right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN or MTW
E53446* (UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is the
temperature limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks in
advance.

Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources

Be sure to also use the proper high temperature connectors on the wire.
There are nickle plated ring terminals for appliance use.

"zyx321" wrote in message
The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt this wire, am
I right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN or MTW
E53446* (UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is the
temperature limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks in
advance.

Bill Kaszeta
Photovoltaic Resources Int'l
Tempe Arizona USA

zyx321

Would Home Depot or Lowes have such wire? If not, where might I find it?
Thanks again.

wrote in message
Regular wire will melt or burn. Ranges used to use asbestos coated
wire. I imagine they found a replacement for the asbestos these days.
it MUST be a hi-temp wire.

Mark

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:15:11 GMT, "zyx321"
wrote:

The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt this wire, am
right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN or MTW E53446*
(UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is the
temperature
limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks in advance.

TimPerry

"zyx321" wrote in message
. ..
Would Home Depot or Lowes have such wire? If not, where might I find it?
Thanks again.

http://www.gaumer.com/ProductFilter....olhightempwire

http://www.radix-wire.com/

search "high temp wire" or "high temperature wire"

the last old oven i did i just bought a kit at a local appliance service
center. i found it by trying Sears.

Phil Scott

"zyx321" wrote in message
. ..
The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't

know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from

something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt

this wire, am I
right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN

or MTW E53446*
(UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is

the temperature
limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks

in advance.

None of those... you need wire very specially intended to
serve heating elements at the point of connection. These are
generally finely stranded copper with each strand silver
plated, in a very high temperature rated insulation, asbestos
is currently approved in limited applications or a substitute,
This is generally then covered in a woven fiber glass
sheathing... same with the connectors...not the usual
connectors but silver plated rated for high temp application
at resistance heaters, This wire is not a yer local home
depot or usual electrical supply. THHN etc is not even close
to suitable for such applications.. it would be better of
course than THWN etc... but those are not rated for the
proximate connections to heating elements.. just to run i
mildly hot areas..

http://www.gaumer.com/ProductCategor...t=control_wire

Phil Scott

PAROADHOG

Be sure to also use the proper high temperature connectors on the wire.
There are nickle plated ring terminals for appliance use.

Should these terminals be crimped on or can they be soldered?
John Gilmer

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
THHN is rated at 90 deg C

That's just not high enough for the application. When the oven is running
HOT (especially is self-cleaning mode) the top of the over can get above
boiling.

indago

041124 2218 - zyx321 posted:

wrote:

The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt this wire, am
right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN or MTW E53446*
(UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is the
temperature
limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks in advance.

I got some of that wire at the local hardware store from their wire rack.
Usually the hardware personnel will know what you need for this.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

John Gilmer wrote:

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
THHN is rated at 90 deg C

That's just not high enough for the application. When the oven is running
HOT (especially is self-cleaning mode) the top of the over can get above
boiling.

PFAH and TFE types with nickel coated copper are rated to 250 C and are
approved for 'leads within apparatus' according to the NEC (Table
310.13). The question is whether 250 C is sufficient for connections
within a stove/oven.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Insert witty message here

John Gilmer

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
John Gilmer wrote:

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
THHN is rated at 90 deg C

That's just not high enough for the application. When the oven is

running
HOT (especially is self-cleaning mode) the top of the over can get above
boiling.

PFAH and TFE types with nickel coated copper are rated to 250 C and are
approved for 'leads within apparatus' according to the NEC (Table
310.13). The question is whether 250 C is sufficient for connections
within a stove/oven.

"Within" the over? Nope.

BUT the connections are not made at the truly HOT spots. The inside of the
over might easily be 500F and the space below the burners might be 250F.
The elements are designed so that there is no heat produced within the last
4 to 8" leading to where the connection is made. The connection is made
outside the over and arrangements are made for air to circumlate to keep the
area (relatively) cool. (For the surface burners, efforts are made to
shield the wires an connections from radiation from the hot parts of the
elements.)

Baring something like an oven fire, 250C wire should be safe.