Phil Scott

"zyx321" wrote in message
. ..
The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't

know what type of
wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from

something else I did
but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt

this wire, am I
right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN

or MTW E53446*
(UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is

the temperature
limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks

in advance.

None of those... you need wire very specially intended to
serve heating elements at the point of connection. These are
generally finely stranded copper with each strand silver
plated, in a very high temperature rated insulation, asbestos
is currently approved in limited applications or a substitute,
This is generally then covered in a woven fiber glass
sheathing... same with the connectors...not the usual
connectors but silver plated rated for high temp application
at resistance heaters, This wire is not a yer local home
depot or usual electrical supply. THHN etc is not even close
to suitable for such applications.. it would be better of
course than THWN etc... but those are not rated for the
proximate connections to heating elements.. just to run i
mildly hot areas..

http://www.gaumer.com/ProductCategor...t=control_wire

Phil Scott