Al Kondo

Default Using vacuumed garbage bags to store clothes

I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

Al Kondo
John Harlow

Al Kondo wrote:
I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

Al Kondo

Put a coat in the bag and vacuum it. Put the vacuumed bag in a bucket of
water.

After the bag expands, remove the coat and put it on. If your neck is wet,
the bag has a leak in the top. If your ass is wet, it is leaking from the
bottom. If you're wet all over, get in the house - it's raining out!

Roger

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

You can test for airtightness by inflating the bag, then closing off the
top, then putting weight on the bag to see if the bag deflates. Many bags
of this kind do leak from pinholes and bad seams, and it takes only a tiny
leak to reflate after sucking the air out, as the clothes exert outward
pressure on the bag once the air is withdrawn. I find freezer bags and
ziplocks much more likely to be airtight vs trash bags. Alternatively, you
could place the bags in boxes once the air is withdrawn, then close the
boxes. Make sure the bags are stored in a really dry place.

Joseph Meehan

Al Kondo wrote:
I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

Al Kondo

I doubt if most bags are going to be able to hold the vacuum very long.
They just are not heavy enough to do it and it would be difficult to get a
good seal with the twist tie.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Doug Kanter

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

Al Kondo

The bags you're describing are about as cheap as can be, and still be sold
at price you'd be willing to pay for a bag that most people fill with trash
and throw away. The idea is a good one, though. Bed, Bath & Beyond sells
very thick plastic bags that are intended for the purpose you mentioned. A
friend of mine uses them and she's very happy with them. Personally, I don't
like my clothes crushed that way, but they do work. I haven't seen one in
awhile, but if I recall, they have an opening for the vacuum hose, with a
snap on or screw on cap, sort of like those inflatable beds.

m Ransley

Put your head in the bag, vacume out the air and listen where the leaks
are , to fix first.

Doug Kanter

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Put your head in the bag, vacume out the air and listen where the leaks
are , to fix first.

Vacume? Bush voter?

rotation slim

I doubt you will ever get garbage bags to hold the seal, but you don't
need to.

Vacuum the air out, then promptly pack them tightly in their storage
area, be it a plastic bin, whatever. If you pack it in densely, they
will let the air back in slowly, and they will expand to fill the area
that they are in, but you will still have the advantage of being able
to store a lot in a small area.

Problem will be when you pull out just one bag, the rest will inflate
to fill that bag's area.