Roger

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

You can test for airtightness by inflating the bag, then closing off the
top, then putting weight on the bag to see if the bag deflates. Many bags
of this kind do leak from pinholes and bad seams, and it takes only a tiny
leak to reflate after sucking the air out, as the clothes exert outward
pressure on the bag once the air is withdrawn. I find freezer bags and
ziplocks much more likely to be airtight vs trash bags. Alternatively, you
could place the bags in boxes once the air is withdrawn, then close the
boxes. Make sure the bags are stored in a really dry place.