Al Kondo

Default Using vacuumed garbage bags to store clothes

I once saw a great suggestion from the "Haley's Hints" book on storing
clothes, blankets, pillows, etc. The book suggested putting the
items into a large black garbage bag and then vacuuming out the air
with the hose attachment of one's vacuum cleaner. It works like a
charm, except for one problem...... I can't get the vacuum to stay.
After one hour or so after vacuuming out the bag, the air seems to
seep in and the bag returns to its original size. I try to make sure
the top is securely closed by twisting the end and securing it with
rubber bands. I use new, heavy guage garbage bags so I can't imagine
that there are holes in them. What can be the problem? Help please.

Al Kondo