Barry Feldman

Default wiring house phones for VOIP?

Here's the deal. My Modem is in such a place that I can't really put it
near the main phone box.

I was told that if I disconect the incoming hard wires on the existing
phone lines and go out of the VOIP box with just a phone wire into an
existing phone jack the house will be wired.

First of all is this correct? Secondly I don't know which are the
incoming wires from the copper system is it the blue and white wires.
There's an old 2 copper pole connector box that looks around 40 years
old where the wire enters the house and disperses to the jacks.

Anyone with any knowledge of how to do this or if it can be done. The
sound on VOIP is good and the price difference is ridiculous

BF
Glen Head NY
PrecisionMachinisT

"Barry Feldman" wrote in message

Here's the deal. My Modem is in such a place that I can't really put it
near the main phone box.

I was told that if I disconect the incoming hard wires on the existing
phone lines and go out of the VOIP box with just a phone wire into an
existing phone jack the house will be wired.

First of all is this correct? Secondly I don't know which are the
incoming wires from the copper system is it the blue and white wires.
There's an old 2 copper pole connector box that looks around 40 years
old where the wire enters the house and disperses to the jacks.

Anyone with any knowledge of how to do this or if it can be done. The
sound on VOIP is good and the price difference is ridiculous

Pair 1 is usually gonna the blue pair.

Once youve disconnected your incoming CO line at the demark point, you can
connect the voip modem anywhere to your existing phone wiring.

Curious.....what voip service provider are you using??--I been thinking of
maybe going this route for all our long distance outgoing calls for some
time now.....

--

SVL

Barry Feldman

The blue pair one meaning the blue and white I see coming in?

I'm using Optonline service. It works very well but it's not pure VOIP.

Pure VOIP would be straight into a broadband modem via an adapter and
the analogue sound would be converted by the box provided by, say,
Vonage, ot internet packets.

Optonline accepts the signal and sends it out to their own dedicated
lines via analogue. At some point after that they convert to VOIP for
the delivery of the call but it's got to go back to analogue for the
"last mile" as the telco's call it.

Optonline makes their money taking over the first mile from Verizon. I
haven't used pure VOIP ie:Vonage yet.

so again all I see connecting from the outside in are a blue and white
wire - two wires?

BF
Glen Head

In article , PrecisionMachinisT
wrote:

[...]

Chet Hayes

Barry Feldman wrote in message ...
The blue pair one meaning the blue and white I see coming in?

I'm using Optonline service. It works very well but it's not pure VOIP.

Pure VOIP would be straight into a broadband modem via an adapter and
the analogue sound would be converted by the box provided by, say,
Vonage, ot internet packets.

Optonline accepts the signal and sends it out to their own dedicated
lines via analogue. At some point after that they convert to VOIP for
the delivery of the call but it's got to go back to analogue for the
"last mile" as the telco's call it.

I believe this is incorrect. Optonline supplies you with a broadband
cable modem telephony device which sits in your house and goes between
the cable and the analog phones. This is exactly what Vonage also
supplies. As far as I know, the conversion from digital to analog in
each direction is done in that device, which makes sense for a number
of reasons. Have you seen any info which suggest otherwise?

Optonline makes their money taking over the first mile from Verizon. I
haven't used pure VOIP ie:Vonage yet.

I think Vonage is virtually identical in terms of technology.
Cablevision may have better quality of service because of their
internet network and ability to control routing within their own
network, but the basic system is the same.

wrote:

[...]

Barry Feldman

I read this about Optonline in the NY Times or in Newsday. It's a
hybrid and it's not pure VOIP. I just was doing a google search and
couldn't find the information that I read - but I'm pretty sure T'm
right. Cablevision doesn't supply the "black box" that vonage, Verizon,
MCI et al do when you get their VOIP service.

Look, I hope there's no difference because I hate cablevision and
always switch as soon as there's a better deal around :-)

wrote:

[...]

JerryMouse

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Curious.....what voip service provider are you using??--I been
thinking of maybe going this route for all our long distance outgoing
calls for some time now.....

We use Unlimited Voice from Earthlink for our outbound business calls.

We pay $33/month for another POTS line (with the extras: Caller-ID, voice
mail, etc.) and all the LD we can use. Sucker plugs right into our PBX. No
excise tax, no fuel-surcharge tax, no 911 fee, no Al Gore tax, no sales tax,
no capital equipment reclamation fee, nada.

Our LD bill went from $200/month (at 3.5 cents/min) to zero.

Couldn't be more pleased.

Philip Lewis

"Joe Fabeitz" writes:
If you lose power to the house [...] do VOIP phones still work?

well... if you have a UPS on devices required to make them work.
We have a similar situation with wireless phones. (see below)

If not, how do you call for help / repair?

Cell Phone?

That what we did when we had a fire in the house.
My first reaction after i realized i didn't want to open the door was
to go throw the main breaker. Then we realized the cordless phone
wasn't working. The cell phone was a handy backup.
(I need to get a battery backup for the cordless base unit)

We don't have VOIP, but we have a UPS on the wireless router and DSL
modem. Which means our laptops still function on the network when the
power goes out.

As to barry's original question, I *think* he was asking if he
disconnected the (presumably unused) feed from the telephone company,
and attached the output of a VOIP to standard telephone converter to
that junction box, would it work.

If your VOIP "magic box" was designed to feed a regular phone (plain
old telephone servive == POTS), it sounds like that method will work.
You should research the limit of how many phones the internet/POTS
unit is able to drive. It might only be rated for 1 unit in which
case multiple phones might overload it.

--
be safe.
flip

Dave

Barry Feldman wrote in message ...
Here's the deal. My Modem is in such a place that I can't really put it
near the main phone box.

I was told that if I disconect the incoming hard wires on the existing
phone lines and go out of the VOIP box with just a phone wire into an
existing phone jack the house will be wired.

First of all is this correct? Secondly I don't know which are the
incoming wires from the copper system is it the blue and white wires.
There's an old 2 copper pole connector box that looks around 40 years
old where the wire enters the house and disperses to the jacks.

Anyone with any knowledge of how to do this or if it can be done. The
sound on VOIP is good and the price difference is ridiculous

BF
Glen Head NY

The Vonage.com site has a help document that explains how to modify
your wiring. If you can't find it there, try www.vonage-forum.com and
search the FAQs there...if I remember correctly, they have some nice
diagrams, etc., on what to do.

Dave
Art Todesco

As far as loss of power, a lot depends on your ISP. If it is DSL,
especially from a telco, they probably will back up power for a pretty
long time. Telephone offices are traditionally very well backed up by
batteries, for the short term, and diesels, for the long term. That
said, my ISP is broadband over the cable. When my cables company had
their old tree and branch system, reliability was poor at best during a
power failure. A power failure on one side of town could drop cable
service to everyone downstream and it used to do exactly that; power
would be down in a part of town, not by me, and cable would go down.
Now we have a fiber-based system with remote nodes (mini head ends) and
the power reliability is very good. I have had power failures, running
my backup generator, and the cable was still up and running! I, too, am
interested in VoIP. I am still concerned about small cable dropouts
that seem to occur in the morning when the cable company is doing
maintenance. I'm also concerned about delays that can occur in VoIP. I
asked AT&T, the local VoIP provider, if they use some type of priority
routing through the IP (Comcast), and they really couldn't answer the
question. Typical! I do have a UPS on my cable modem/router/computer,
so that shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, with the high proliferation of
cell phones, the whole power thing is becoming less important. Sorry
for babbling on so long.

Philip Lewis wrote:
"Joe Fabeitz" writes:

[...]

A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
hot house in summer malcolm Home Repair 22 June 18th 04 10:15 PM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Ownership 21 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM
Ceiling rose wiring old house Driving me mad arr Toby UK diy 1 July 9th 03 03:20 PM