Philip Lewis

"Joe Fabeitz" writes:
If you lose power to the house [...] do VOIP phones still work?

well... if you have a UPS on devices required to make them work.
We have a similar situation with wireless phones. (see below)

If not, how do you call for help / repair?

Cell Phone?

That what we did when we had a fire in the house.
My first reaction after i realized i didn't want to open the door was
to go throw the main breaker. Then we realized the cordless phone
wasn't working. The cell phone was a handy backup.
(I need to get a battery backup for the cordless base unit)

We don't have VOIP, but we have a UPS on the wireless router and DSL
modem. Which means our laptops still function on the network when the
power goes out.

As to barry's original question, I *think* he was asking if he
disconnected the (presumably unused) feed from the telephone company,
and attached the output of a VOIP to standard telephone converter to
that junction box, would it work.

If your VOIP "magic box" was designed to feed a regular phone (plain
old telephone servive == POTS), it sounds like that method will work.
You should research the limit of how many phones the internet/POTS
unit is able to drive. It might only be rated for 1 unit in which
case multiple phones might overload it.

--
be safe.
flip