malcolm

Default hot house in summer

Hi, I hope this is the correct newsgroup to post this problem. If not my
apologies up front.

I bought a house last year and am having problems cooling it late in the
afternoon. With the weather warming up down here (Alabama), I am already
finding myself bumping up the AC throughout the day so it does not run
constantly. My house is a two level house with an unfinished basement
garage. The AC can hold the house at the set temp during the morning hours
and/or if it is cloudy all day. But if the sun is shining especially late
afternoon the AC cannot hold the set temperature on the themostat (Even with
the AC running the inside temp. continues to rise). So, of course unless I
bump up the thermostat the AC continues to run until the sun goes down and
then it slowly start to recover itself. The back part of the house over the
unfinished basement stays cool, but the main part of the house continues to
warm up throughout the day. This part includes the kitchen, living room,
and dining room and all three of these rooms reside over the garage area.
This is also the same side of the house the sun is beating down on in the
afternoon and into the evening. If I cook dinner in the kitchen then the
temperature in the house really jumps up (no outside vent in the kitchen).

What I am wondering is what I can do to remedy this problem. I have tried
buying a box fan to try blowing the warm air out of the house. I have also
covered the windows on my garage doors. The garage doors themselves are
un-insulated wood doors that already need replacing. Sometime soon I plan
on replacing them with windowless, insulated steel doors. Also I have no
insulation in the basement/garage area under the main level flooring. Would
it help to insulate the floor between the main level and garage? Of course
this would help somewhat, but is it worth it? I have been reading some
about attic fans to pull heat out of the attic on hot days. Could this be
the problem. Btw, the attic is fully insulated. I am also assuming a vent
to the outside in the kitchen may help. For sure when the oven and stove
are on.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Malcolm

Rob Green

malcolm wrote:

[...]

I don't use air conditioning since I live in a somewhat mountainous area
and my house is made of stone, but I do know that keeping my attic
venelated is very important in keeping my house cooler in the summer. If
the attic is all closed up and the fan is not running up there, it is
much harder to cool off the second floor.

Rob
Penna
~KJPRO~

"malcolm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

So when was the last time you had the HVAC system checked out?
It might not be operating up to snuff.

There may be something there that can easily be remedied.

~kjpro~

HvacTech2

Hi malcolm, hope you are having a nice day

On 16-Jun-04 At About 11:36:01, malcolm wrote to All
Subject: hot house in summer

m From: "malcolm"

m I bought a house last year and am having problems cooling it late in
m the afternoon. With the weather warming up down here (Alabama), I
m am already finding myself bumping up the AC throughout the day so it

The only way to fix it is to call someone local who can check it for you.
there isn't any way to check it properly over the internet. you need someone
there who can run all of the needed tests.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... Anybody can win, unless there is a second entry.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
I avoid my neighbors

From: "malcolm"
Date: 6/16/04 10:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

If possible...get some awnings. They can help save on cooling costs during the
summer time.

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm

I love to avoid my neighbors.

HvacTech2

Hi Lost-In-Translation, hope you are having a nice day

On 17-Jun-04 At About 04:50:40, Lost-In-Translation wrote to All

L From: "Lost-In-Translation"

L if your AC is working fine other parts of the day, its not likely there
L is anything wrong with it.

This statement is totally wrong. there are several ways an a/c can fail and
only partially cool

-= HvacTech2 =-

... And on the other hand... there was a glove.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
TURTLE

"malcolm" wrote in message .. .
[...]

This is Turtle.

Have you ever thought that it might be something wrong with it and a hvac service company might be able to tell you what it is and
maybe fix it. Not all HVAC equipment in this world is perfect and sometimes has problem that could be fixed.

TURTLE

---

Joseph Meehan

malcolm wrote:
[...]

While you should consider the usual things like better insulation,
awnings etc., but it is an A/C problem.

I say it is an A/C problem because when the system was installed, it
should have been designed to handle the existing situation. Now you have a
system that either is not working as it should or was poorly designed from
the start.

It is time to call in the professional to determine what your options
are. Maybe it just needs service. It is also possible that it was
undersized or the distribution system is not properly designed etc. You
need a professional on site to give you your answers.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Lost-In-Translation

Most likely from lack of insulation down there in Bama. You could also try
heavy drapes or window tinting on the front of the house. Is the attic
ventilated? There could be any number of causes but if your AC is working
fine other parts of the day, its not likely there is anything wrong with it.

"malcolm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Lost-In-Translation

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

L if your AC is working fine other parts of the day, its not likely

there
L is anything wrong with it.

This statement is totally wrong. there are several ways an a/c can fail

and
only partially cool

No, that statement is totally true. If the AC cools the house some of the
time, but not when the sun is high in the sky, then the house isn't very
well insulated. While it's true it could be insulation, a duct come undone,
leaky windows or what have you, none of those mean there is anything wrong
with the AC. I still believe that if it works and cools well some of the
time, some other factors must be coming into play later in the day that the
AC simply can't keep up with.

Or, the damn thing is busted. Hard to say over the net.

Joseph Meehan

Lost-In-Translation wrote:
"HvacTech2" wrote in message

if your AC is working fine other parts of the day, its not likely
there is anything wrong with it.

This statement is totally wrong. there are several ways an a/c can
fail and only partially cool

No, that statement is totally true. If the AC cools the house some
of the time, but not when the sun is high in the sky, then the house
isn't very well insulated.

Wrong!

If the A/C is undersized, it may be able to cool the home when the load
is low, but not when the load is high. The same result would occur if the
unit was properly sized, but air flow was restricted, or it was not working
to full capacity for other reasons. There are many possible reasons.

Frankly while insulation is important and should be up to standard, if
the installer did a proper install, he would have known the insulation was
substandard and increased the size of the unit (also informed the
homeowner.)

Give me a big enough unit and I can cool a un-insinuated airport hanger.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

You need a repair person to check it out. But using a box fan you say to
pull hot air outside leaves me thinkin you need a rethinkin on
insulation, AC operation, . You need your house and Ac checked out
completly.

Lost-In-Translation

As I stated, it could be a host of things. At this point, we are all just
guessing without knowing room size, Sq footage of house, size of the AC
unit, is it gable mount/all in one, is it tied into the furnace, etc. We're
really taking stabs in the dark here. Therefore, both our statements
basically apply.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Lost-In-Translation wrote:
"HvacTech2" wrote in message

[...]

Tim

"HvacTech2" wrote in message ...
Hi malcolm, hope you are having a nice day

On 16-Jun-04 At About 11:36:01, malcolm wrote to All

m From: "malcolm"

m I bought a house last year and am having problems cooling it late in
m the afternoon. With the weather warming up down here (Alabama), I
m am already finding myself bumping up the AC throughout the day so it

The only way to fix it is to call someone local who can check it for you.
there isn't any way to check it properly over the internet. you need someone
there who can run all of the needed tests.

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. Anybody can win, unless there is a second entry.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Have you checked the basics?

Is the air filter clogged?

Check the difference in temperature between the air going into the
system via the returns and the air coming out the vents...it should be
at least 15 degrees.

Are there air returns near the floor and higher on the wall ? You may
want to close off the floor returns if you have both high and low
returns. My system worked much better for cooling when I closed off
the floor level return and opened a new high return. The system also
seems to blow less dust out into the house now.

Do you have blinds or something to limit the sunlight/heat coming in
the windows? Those or window film/tinting can make a big difference.
rj

We live in a 100-yr old house in South Alabama and use 4 window units.
SWMBO found some silver-tinted mylar film and covered the windows which get
the most sun, saved over $40.00 a month on electricity and we're comfortable
(but a bit dark)
RJ
"HvacTech2" wrote in message

Hi malcolm, hope you are having a nice day

On 16-Jun-04 At About 11:36:01, malcolm wrote to All

m From: "malcolm"

m I bought a house last year and am having problems cooling it late in
m the afternoon. With the weather warming up down here (Alabama), I
m am already finding myself bumping up the AC throughout the day so it

The only way to fix it is to call someone local who can check it for you.
there isn't any way to check it properly over the internet. you need

someone
there who can run all of the needed tests.

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. Anybody can win, unless there is a second entry.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

HvacTech2

Hi Lost-In-Translation, hope you are having a nice day

On 17-Jun-04 At About 06:31:54, Lost-In-Translation wrote to All

L No, that statement is totally true. If the AC cools the house some
L of the time, but not when the sun is high in the sky, then the house
L isn't very well insulated. While it's true it could be insulation,
L a duct come undone, leaky windows or what have you, none of those
L mean there is anything wrong with the AC. I still believe that if
L it works and cools well some of the time, some other factors must
L be coming into play later in the day that the AC simply can't keep
L up with.

L Or, the damn thing is busted. Hard to say over the net.

As I said the first time the statement you made that if it cools when it is
cooler outside it is ok is WRONG!!! there are several items that could cause
this such as, low charge, compressor valves failing, dirty condenser among
others. the only way to tell is to have it checked out. but to say if it
cools when it is cooler outside it is ok is totally wrong.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "I'm living on a one-way, dead-end street." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
CBHVAC

"Lost-In-Translation" wrote in
message nk.net...

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

[...]

No..that statement is totally false.

The units not working right, EVEN IF ITS DEAD ON, if it is not able to keep
the home cool.

Working right means keeping the home at a set temp even on the warmest day.
It broke 100F here today, with a seriously muggly 91%RH, and I am sitting
here in nice 70F air...same air its been all day.
Guess what?
Mines sized right.
Wrong size, means that no matter how hard that unit works, at a given temp,
its going to fail, meaning, its not working right, due to it being the wrong
unit for the home.
It also could be that its under, or overcharged, air flow isnt correct, TEV
is clogged, or a filter dryer is partially clogged.....want me to continue??

CBHVAC

"Lost-In-Translation" wrote in
message ink.net...
As I stated, it could be a host of things. At this point, we are all just
guessing without knowing room size, Sq footage of house, size of the AC
unit, is it gable mount/all in one, is it tied into the furnace, etc.

We're
really taking stabs in the dark here. Therefore, both our statements
basically apply.

Nope....

Actually, with a few more questions, those of us that have a clue, could
about narrow it down to one of three things..

Lost-In-Translation wrote:
"HvacTech2" wrote in message

[...]

malcolm

Hello, thanks for all the replies and information.

I just recently had my AC checked and also replaced most of my duct work.
Once I replaced the duct work the house did seem to cool more evenly until
it started getting hotter outside. I also keep my blinds shut during the
day, especially during the later afternoon/evening. I am planning to put
tinting on some of my windows (non-inuslated too btw).

Today it reached the 90s. My attic temp got a little above 100, so I think
it is vented fine. Not to mention a lot of the roof is shaded during the
late afternoon. The AC is holding around 80-81, but will not go lower until
the sun goes down. Intake temperature is 78 and it is pushing out 64
degrees. The intake is close to the floor on one of the walls.

I am thinking now, after several of the replies, that I may need to upgrade
my unit. I know that it is a half ton too small. (1500+- sq.feet and 3 ton
unit). I had the same thought that if it cooled at other times then it
could not be the tonage. However, after reading some of the replies I see
that I was mistaken. I also don't think the previous owners ever changed
the filter or had the AC serviced. I had never seen a filter so clogged
when I replaced the one in the house when I moved in. Also, the AC guy said
that the unit was running hot or had a high head temp or something and the
outside coil was filthy. He did say this could shorten the life of the
unit.

I am thinking that upgrading the unit, tinting some windows and maybe adding
some insulation in the basement garage area under the floor of the living
space may solve my problem. But before I do that I will probably call a
professional out for an on-site diagnosis.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Malcolm

Joseph Meehan

malcolm wrote:
Hello, thanks for all the replies and information.

I am thinking now, after several of the replies, that I may need to
upgrade my unit. I know that it is a half ton too small. (1500+-
sq.feet and 3 ton unit).

... But before I do that I will probably call a professional out for an

on-site diagnosis

Don't make it just a probably, make it "I will call.."

How do you know it is half a ton too small? Size of home is NOT how you
determine the size needed. The only way to determine the size of the unit
is to do the measurements and computations needed. I only say this, because
just replacing the unit with a larger one without doing the math may well
result in more disappointment. Be sure to do any insulation or other
changes before running the calculations. The Tech needs to do a "Manual J"
calculation.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

You say the air filter was dirty, did the tek look at and clean the
Air handler A coil, They crap up fast with no maintenance. You
really need a complete assesment of your house, Blower door test ,
Load calculations, You may get by with less expensive solutions,
better solutions for the long run. What are your windows, insulation
values. BTU requirements. . You say the attic was 10 over thats not
bad but what about R value. R 50 would help. Do you have an attic
fan. If they are to large and you are undervented you can easily pull
cooled air up and outside. Im in total shade a tight house super
high R and 2 ton is too big for 1250 sq upper plus a 625 sq
basement. And I never run more than 5 hrs a day, you run 24 ? How old
is your AC ? Get a different AC pro out to go over your AC. Are
your new ducts sealed and insulated. Do you have a restrictive filter
or free flowing. I beleive a real pro will ck superheat and
supercool not just freon pressures to see if you are really running
optimaly, But I beleive you said he did that.

malcolm

Hmmm, I am not sure of the answer to all of your questions. But I will be
sure to keep these questions and ask them to the AC person when they come
out. Unfortunately the last one to come out didn't even know as much as I
do and obviously that is very little. Someone told me once you could
estimate the size of the unit you need based on the size of the house or
area you need to cool. They said it was a rough estimate only. But now I
see that info too is false. It sounds like the best course of action is to
get a professional on-site assessment.

Thanks for all the replies and information. At least now I will have a
better idea of what to ask someone when they come out.

Malcolm.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Zemedelec

Sounds like a good description of my atttic.
zemedelec