Marty

Default Dehumidifier Repair

Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one every
time this happens.

Is this something I might be able to repair myself ?

What could be wrong ?

What would I have to do to repair it ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MARTS

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Do not post this **** in sci.engr.heat-vent-ac

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one every
time this happens.

Is this something I might be able to repair myself ?

What could be wrong ?

What would I have to do to repair it ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MARTS

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Joseph Meehan

Marty wrote:
Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one
every
time this happens.

Is this something I might be able to repair myself ?

What could be wrong ?

What would I have to do to repair it ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MARTS

They have recalled mine a number of times. After the last "fix" it no
longer causes the problem.

It seems they and most other makes, produce models for use in warm dry
areas and a more expensive version for cool damp areas like basements.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Marty

Thank You,

I am very sorry, I was not aware that this was an inappropriate post.

There is no need for anyone else to respond.

Dale Farmer

Marty wrote:

Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one every
time this happens.

Buy a timer for it. Give it a two hour rest every 12 hours to let
accumulated
ice melt off.

--Dale

Joe Bobst

Is this something I might be able to repair myself ?

Not likely.

What could be wrong ?

Whirlpool would know, have you asked them?

What would I have to do to repair it ?

Follow instructions from Whirlpool after you contact their customer service.
HTH

Joe

David W.

Dale Farmer wrote in
:

Marty wrote:

Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one
every time this happens.

Buy a timer for it. Give it a two hour rest every 12 hours to let
accumulated
ice melt off.

Or,if it has a "level" or humidity setting, turn it down so it doesn't run
so much.

It helps to clean off the condenser coil before you start using it each
year. Accumulated goop can increase the likelyhood of water freezing on the
coil.

"David W." in news:Xns9582F0AB6D551usenetwalccom@
216.196.97.136:

Buy a timer for it. Give it a two hour rest every 12 hours to let
accumulated ice melt off.

could you put one of those hceap two-fan window fans to blow across the
'coils' (never seen one of these dehumidifiers, so i can't visualize, but
A/C coils tend to ice).
Sam Goldwasser

"Marty" writes:

Thank You,

I am very sorry, I was not aware that this was an inappropriate post.

There is no need for anyone else to respond.

There was nothing wrong with your post. Some people are just very
intolerent.

Some of the likely causes for icing are (1) temperature too cold (below
around 60F), (2) insufficient airflow (dirt on coils or bad fan), and
(3) low Freon (not all that likely).

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Betsy

Really? Mine has been recalled once (it is maybe 4 years old max) but still
doesn't work properly, i.e. sometimes it just keeps running even when the
humidity setting is low.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Marty wrote:
Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one
every
time this happens.

Is this something I might be able to repair myself ?

What could be wrong ?

What would I have to do to repair it ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MARTS

They have recalled mine a number of times. After the last "fix" it no
longer causes the problem.

It seems they and most other makes, produce models for use in warm dry
areas and a more expensive version for cool damp areas like basements.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Betsy wrote:
Really? Mine has been recalled once (it is maybe 4 years old max) but
still
doesn't work properly, i.e. sometimes it just keeps running even when the
humidity setting is low.

Mine was recalled three times as I remember (I had ignored one of them)
and they tried to fix it once under warrantee. It was the last recall that
replaced the humidistat as I recall, that took care of the icing up.

Marty wrote:
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Sam's correct on all counts. Some models of dehumidifer have a "freeze
stat". Which is a thermostat that turns the compressor off when the coil
gets cold enough. Maybe a local appliance shop can put a freeze stat on your
machine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

There was nothing wrong with your post. Some people are just very
intolerent.

Some of the likely causes for icing are (1) temperature too cold (below
around 60F), (2) insufficient airflow (dirt on coils or bad fan), and
(3) low Freon (not all that likely).

James Sweet

"David W." wrote in message
. ..
Dale Farmer wrote in
:

Marty wrote:

Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one
every time this happens.

Buy a timer for it. Give it a two hour rest every 12 hours to let
accumulated
ice melt off.

Or,if it has a "level" or humidity setting, turn it down so it doesn't run
so much.

It helps to clean off the condenser coil before you start using it each
year. Accumulated goop can increase the likelyhood of water freezing on

the
coil.

Don't they have a temperature sensor on the evaporator coils to prevent them
from getting below freezing? A lot of automotive AC systems have this.

Me

Hi!