Eric G

Default VCR repair advice

Try Telepart, or Grandata for replacement heads, unless you are rich
.you want the "replacement" head not the OEM one. While you are there,
get the relevant service kit and replace all the consumables (pinch
roller, idler, belts, etc).

-A

The above was quoted from a recent post on a VCR repair problem.

I brought my JVC vcr in to be repaired at an "authorized" JVC repair
depot almost three weeks ago. There was no picture, just grainy black
and white lines and the sound was slowed down to half speed or slower.

The machine is more than ten years old but has given me virtually no
problems in the past. The new problem started after I popped in a
commercial promo tape distributed at our school.
There were no symptoms whatsoever before I played this tape.

Any tape inserted after this 'promo' tape resulted in the same problem
mentioned above.

I picked up my 'repaired' VCR last night (had to drive to another
city). Today when I put in a first tape, the same problem occured.
I took it out, put in a second tape and the tape played OK for a few
minutes, then displayed some of the same problem symptoms. I started
the tape again and it was OK.

I waited about twenty minutes, and then tried the same tape followed
by several other good tapes and the same old problem was back. I
couldn't get any tape to play properly.

I quoted the above message because it mentions
get the relevant service kit and replace all the consumables (pinch
roller, idler, belts, etc

My repair sheet mentions 'sevice kit' used for parts and that's it.
Parts were just $17.

I'm obviously not too happy about the repair.
What would you do if you were in my situation?
Thanks! Eric
Sam Goldwasser

Take it back to where it was supposedly repaired an demonstrate that it
wasn't fixed.

It does sound like a mechanical problem that should have been taken care
of by replacing the rubber parts and a good cleaning. I don't know if
that's what a "service kit" is supposed to be.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

(Eric G) writes:

[...]

Eric G

On 10 Jan 2004 20:46:26 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

Take it back to where it was supposedly repaired an demonstrate that it
wasn't fixed.

It does sound like a mechanical problem that should have been taken care
of by replacing the rubber parts and a good cleaning. I don't know if
that's what a "service kit" is supposed to be.

Thanks Sam, I'll bring it back this week and show him the problem
is still there. Eric
Sofie

Eric G:
IMPORTANT: ........ This may or may not have been a repair problem.... but
maybe a tape problem?? Since you said the VCR had no symptoms and played
OK after the repair until you attempted to play the Promo tape..... this may
be a tape problem. ? ?
Be certain to bring along your suspect Promo TAPE to the shop with the VCR..
A bad, contaminated, worn, previously eaten, etc, etc.... or even new
untested tape can cause these symptoms with a properly operating VCR.....
then, once the VCR tape path is dirty or contaminated, other tapes will not
work properly in the VCR and in fact those subsequent tapes could get
contaminated and/or ruined by inserting them into the contaminated VCR. To
save yourself more anguish.... DO NOT insert your Promo tape or any
subsequent tapes in your other VCRs until the repair shop can give you some
answers.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

wrote:

Take it back to where it was supposedly repaired an demonstrate that it
wasn't fixed.

It does sound like a mechanical problem that should have been taken care
of by replacing the rubber parts and a good cleaning. I don't know if
that's what a "service kit" is supposed to be.

Thanks Sam, I'll bring it back this week and show him the problem
is still there. Eric

Sam Goldwasser

"_Al_" writes:

i personally would have went and spent 30-40$ and bought a new vcr....why
repair a 10 year old unit, let the poor thing die.

You must own a land fill.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

BOB URZ

_Al_ wrote:

i personally would have went and spent 30-40$ and bought a new vcr....why
repair a 10 year old unit, let the poor thing die.

Because, 10 years ago they know how to build a decent VCR.
Not the lightweight junk they sell now that self destructs in 90 days
or 90 tapes which ever comes first...

Bob

Eric G

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:31:25 -0800, "Sofie" wrote:

Eric G:
IMPORTANT: ........ This may or may not have been a repair problem.... but
maybe a tape problem?? Since you said the VCR had no symptoms and played
OK after the repair until you attempted to play the Promo tape..... this may
be a tape problem. ? ?
Be certain to bring along your suspect Promo TAPE to the shop with the VCR..
A bad, contaminated, worn, previously eaten, etc, etc.... or even new

Hi Daniel,

To make myself clearer.
I wasn't going to take any chance with the promo tape after the
repair. That tape will go in the garbage.

I used other tapes that were functioning properly, to test out the
machine when I got it back home.

Eric

wrote:

Take it back to where it was supposedly repaired an demonstrate that it
wasn't fixed.

It does sound like a mechanical problem that should have been taken care
of by replacing the rubber parts and a good cleaning. I don't know if
that's what a "service kit" is supposed to be.

Thanks Sam, I'll bring it back this week and show him the problem
is still there. Eric

Eric G

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:07:32 -0800, "_Al_" wrote:

i personally would have went and spent 30-40$ and bought a new vcr....why
repair a 10 year old unit, let the poor thing die.

Al, Bob got it right in his reply.

There are several reasons why I'd much prefer to fix this unit rather
than buy a cheapo to replace it.

First of all, this is/was a quality unit when purchased ($600+).
It is extremely well-built. Solid metal chasis. I bought a cheapo a
few weeks ago to try out but returned it the next day because the
plastic chasis couldn't contain any of the tape travel noise. It was
loud as heck!

Secondly, this particular unit has special features that can't be
found on newer models. Years ago JVC experimented with
picture-in-picture and other special digital effects. I later
discovered that they discontinued these features because it was too
expensive to produce.

With this machine I can watch TV in a corner of the screen and a VCR
tape at the same time. And move the TV image into any of the four
corners. Many other bells and whistles too that can't be found on
$70-90 vcrs today. Eric

"Eric G" wrote in message
[...]

Ken G.

I doubt even the service center knows how to fix that vcr ..all they do
is stick new rubber parts in it & give it back .

It sounds like that capacitor on the bottom of the head motor is going
bad and or the tracking arms are loose .