Michael

Default Buying a Refrigerator for a Garage

Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

I have heard that certain types of refrigerators have problems, but I
have a bunch of neighbors that have refrigerators in their garages in
my same type of house and say that they work fine.

Any hints to pick a good one? Someone once mentioned about making
sure that it had separate temperature controls for the refrig. and for
the freezer or something like that. Not sure of the details.

Michael
Greg

The best description I have heard of the problem is that if it is colder than
the fridge temp setting the compressor won't run and the freezer unfreezes.
Of course if it is really cold for a long time everything will freeze even if
the fridge is unplugged
Joseph Meehan

Michael wrote:
Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

I have heard that certain types of refrigerators have problems, but I
have a bunch of neighbors that have refrigerators in their garages in
my same type of house and say that they work fine.

Any hints to pick a good one? Someone once mentioned about making
sure that it had separate temperature controls for the refrig. and for
the freezer or something like that. Not sure of the details.

Michael

That is a very poor place for a frig. They have no way of keeping the
food in the frig above freezing in the winter. They generally can't be set
to maintain the proper temperature in both the frig and freezer for both
summer and winter. Many can be damaged when used in those temperatures.

You will see some vending machines outside in winter and summer, but
they are very expensive and designed for that use. You would not want to
pay what you would need to pay for a frig that would do what you want even
if you could find one.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Art

Consumer Reports recently rated a refrigerated made for the garage. Has a
heater built in. They were not impressed. Very expensive too. Check
recent issues at your local library.

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

I have heard that certain types of refrigerators have problems, but I
have a bunch of neighbors that have refrigerators in their garages in
my same type of house and say that they work fine.

Any hints to pick a good one? Someone once mentioned about making
sure that it had separate temperature controls for the refrig. and for
the freezer or something like that. Not sure of the details.

Michael

bumtracks

"Greg" wrote in message
The best description I have heard of the problem is that if it is colder

than
the fridge temp setting the compressor won't run and the freezer

unfreezes.
Of course if it is really cold for a long time everything will freeze even

if
the fridge is unplugged

Florida here doesn't have any freezing winter problems,
and summer weather doesn't seem to bother a garage fridge.
The more beer a garage fridge contains the more static stored energy it will
have.
Several cases of beer may actually even lower your overall power bills -
really!.

Greg

Florida here doesn't have any freezing winter problems,
and summer weather doesn't seem to bother a garage fridge.
The more beer a garage fridge contains the more static stored energy

I know what you mean (Lee County here)
I keep the fridge full of beer and the freezer full of bottled water. Great
hurricane insurance.

SteveB

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

I have heard that certain types of refrigerators have problems, but I
have a bunch of neighbors that have refrigerators in their garages in
my same type of house and say that they work fine.

Any hints to pick a good one? Someone once mentioned about making
sure that it had separate temperature controls for the refrig. and for
the freezer or something like that. Not sure of the details.

Michael

Not sure where you live, but here, used refrigerators are less than $100,
and mostly in the $60 range. Unless you want the expensive ones. For a
garage fridge, I like the $75 ones that you just shoot when they quit
working.

YMMV.

Steve

Red Neckerson

"SteveB" wrote

Not sure where you live, but here, used refrigerators are less than $100,
and mostly in the $60 range. Unless you want the expensive ones. For a
garage fridge, I like the $75 ones that you just shoot when they quit
working.

I'll second that!

I have one that has been in my (unheated) garage (in the mid-East where we
get temps in the teens sometimes) for the past 10 years and it is still
going strong! I keep beers and sodas in it and I bought it used for $25. If
it ever craps out, I'll just toss it and buy another used one. Look in your
local paper for people that are moving OR updating their kitchen. They may
ASK $100 or more, but call them and give them your phone number and ask them
to call you when they DON'T sell it and tell the you will come and "take it
off their hands" for them. It's in your garage. Who cares if it "looks" good
or not. Even if it doesn't, spray paint works wonders.....

Jed

I live in Massachusetts, so I had a chance to experiment with my fridge in 0
degrees and below (it got to -25 with windhchill last winter, so 0 degrees
was a safe bet for inside my garage. The key for me is that we put our old
fridge out in the garage when we redid our kitchen, so I couldn't care less
what happens to it. Bottom line? I kept Heinekens in it all winter, and they
were icy cold all winter long and never frozen. There is nothing better than
an ice cold Heiny! It's all about the beer.

Don't go out and buy a new fridge for your garage. Find a piece of crap used
one and be happy (and stock with plenty of Heineken.

"George Wenzel" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

If the garage temperature gets below freezing, it'd probably not be a
great idea to have a refrigerator there. Fridges are designed to cool
things, not to warm them up. If the temperature is below freezing in the
garage, the stuff in the fridge will freeze also, unless you have
something present (another poster mentioned an electric blanket) to keep
the fridge above the freezing point.

Regards,

George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail:

TURTLE

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

I have heard that certain types of refrigerators have problems, but I
have a bunch of neighbors that have refrigerators in their garages in
my same type of house and say that they work fine.

Any hints to pick a good one? Someone once mentioned about making
sure that it had separate temperature controls for the refrig. and for
the freezer or something like that. Not sure of the details.

Michael

This is Turtle.

If your going to buy a frig. for the carport , i would say get you a Whirlpool
or Roper cheapest they make and have a static type condenser coil on it. This
means it has a big coil / radiator on the back and not a fan motor type blowing
through a coil under it. All the cheap refrigerators will come with the coil on
the back and you might even look for a NON- frost free with no defrost system on
it for they seem to weather well in the bad weather or hot area of the carports.
Also try not to get the ones that are energy Star Rated with a green sticker on
it for the more efficent it is, the more likely it may screw up in a very cold
area and in cold weather. You want the one that says Energy Hog where the Energy
Star rating sticker would be stuck on it.

OR Buy you one that was made about 20 years ago with a Energy Hog sticker on it.
The more energy that it waist will cause heat to be put into the system and help
in freezing weather. This is the reason that very old refrigerator work best on
carports.

Now I said Cheap and not trash equipment and try to go with Whirlpool or Roper.
Now if you want a refrigerator so you can have to work on it ever so often. Get
you a Frigidaire.

TURTLE

willshak

Michael wrote:

Any things I need to make sure if I want to buy a refrigerator to put
in my garage. The garage is inside the house, but it is not very well
insulated and gets pretty cold in the winter (water bottles will
freeze) and gets real hot in the summer.

I have heard that certain types of refrigerators have problems, but I
have a bunch of neighbors that have refrigerators in their garages in
my same type of house and say that they work fine.

Any hints to pick a good one? Someone once mentioned about making
sure that it had separate temperature controls for the refrig. and for
the freezer or something like that. Not sure of the details.

Michael
=20

I have had a refridgerator/freezer in my unheated attached garage for 15 =

years. It used to be in my kitchen until I redid the kitchen. The garage =

is insulated from the rest of the house (two walls and ceiling) and the=20
outside walls, and is sheetrocked on all walls and ceiling. I have two=20
wooden 8' overhead garage doors and two double hung, double gazed,=20
windows. I live in NYS where the temps often go into the teens, or=20
lower, in winter. The garage is never below 40=BA. Since I redid the=20
kitchen, the kitchen refridgerator has had three service calls (extended =

warrantee), but the garage refridgerator is still running strong without =

any problems. Last year, I put a chest freezer in the garage too.
=20
Scott Packard

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:43:02 +0000, Red Neckerson wrote:

"SteveB" wrote

[...]

I know you're a pro R. N., but for the non-pros out there it's
difficult to move an old refrigerator in a truck.
The springs in the compressor become brittle after use and
may break during transportation (google for hydrogen embrittlement,
and the hydrogen is from the refrigerent oil). Also, transport
upright only. Other than that, knock yourself out.
They're really made to be operated in a warm environment, but
there are thousands that sit in garages and they seem to work.

Regards, Scott

Garage supply and new meter? T i m UK diy 22 March 16th 04 01:25 PM
Garage slab slopes in Duke Home Repair 4 February 20th 04 04:05 AM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM