Scott Packard

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:43:02 +0000, Red Neckerson wrote:

"SteveB" wrote

Not sure where you live, but here, used refrigerators are less than $100,
and mostly in the $60 range. Unless you want the expensive ones. For a
garage fridge, I like the $75 ones that you just shoot when they quit
working.

I'll second that!

I have one that has been in my (unheated) garage (in the mid-East where we
get temps in the teens sometimes) for the past 10 years and it is still
going strong! I keep beers and sodas in it and I bought it used for $25. If
it ever craps out, I'll just toss it and buy another used one. Look in your
local paper for people that are moving OR updating their kitchen. They may
ASK $100 or more, but call them and give them your phone number and ask them
to call you when they DON'T sell it and tell the you will come and "take it
off their hands" for them. It's in your garage. Who cares if it "looks" good
or not. Even if it doesn't, spray paint works wonders.....

I know you're a pro R. N., but for the non-pros out there it's
difficult to move an old refrigerator in a truck.
The springs in the compressor become brittle after use and
may break during transportation (google for hydrogen embrittlement,
and the hydrogen is from the refrigerent oil). Also, transport
upright only. Other than that, knock yourself out.
They're really made to be operated in a warm environment, but
there are thousands that sit in garages and they seem to work.

Regards, Scott