Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood steps preservation

A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

--
|_|O|_|
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2021 5:25 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

I know of people doing similar things and the wood lasted for years. Of
course, depending on how much he is pouring and where it goes, he may be
contaminating the ground water.

It will soak into the wood. Farmers have used it for fencing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2021 21:25:41 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert
wrote:

A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2021 2:25 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

I use Chevron Shingle oil every few years to coat the inside of my cedar
gutters. It is a thin non-drying oil that soaks into the wood, but lets
the wood breath, so moisture can get out of it. For wood gutters, any
coating that dries is likely to result in rot.

https://shop.sclubricants.com/chevron-shingle-oil

I would worry about slipping falls using oil for surfaces you walk on,
but have thought about that possibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/21 5:25 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

Spray it on my flatbed trailer every year (spruce tubasix bed), no signs of rust or rot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 5:25:49 PM UTC-4, Dan Purgert wrote:
A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

Why are wood steps in the ground? I guess if they are not part of
a structure, maybe steps down a landscape grade, I can see it.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

Probably, but it must make a hell of a mess that you have to walk over.
Which gets back to the question of where these actually are.

--
|_|O|_|

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2021 06:43:03 -0400, Daryl wrote:

On 5/4/21 5:25 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

Spray it on my flatbed trailer every year (spruce tubasix bed), no signs of rust or rot.

We used to sprey the old driving shed with engine oil mixed with
something else - can't remember if it was diesel or linseed or what,
but it kept the wood from rotting or being eaten by bugs (or
porcupines)

I imagine it would have flared and smoked pretty good if it had
caught fire!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 May 2021 22:31:52 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have been a
grand sight.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2021 02:55 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have been a
grand sight.

I use boiled linseed on my garden tool and ax handles and I'm careful
with any rags I use. I haven't done any fine woodworking in a long time
but linseed and turpentine was always my favorite finish. It develops a
nice patina. Last I looked you might have to take out a loan to buy real
turpentine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2021 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/07/2021 02:55 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It
spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have
been a
grand sight.

I use boiled linseed on my garden tool and ax handles and I'm careful
with any rags I use. I haven't done any fine woodworking in a long time
but linseed and turpentine was always my favorite finish. It develops a
nice patina. Last I looked you might have to take out a loan to buy real
turpentine.

I've not bought turps for years but a quick check is $22 to $45 a
gallon. Amazon has a glass bottle of 8 oz. for $20
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Fri, 7 May 2021 19:30:44 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

https://www.dover.nh.gov/government/...mill-fire.html

https://www.fosters.com/news/2019010...-investigation

It didn't destroy the building but one of other mills in Dover had a
fire

OK! What off topic bull**** is this now about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 May 2021 19:19:09 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I use boiled linseed on my garden tool and ax handles and I'm careful
with any rags I use. I haven't done any fine woodworking in a long time
but linseed and turpentine was always my favorite finish. It develops a
nice patina. Last I looked you might have to take out a loan to buy real
turpentine.

Wanna bet that your linseed and turpentine, too, thought that you were a
driveling bull**** artist? BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 May 2021 21:52:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/7/2021 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/07/2021 02:55 PM, Tekkie? wrote:
Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It
spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have
been a
grand sight.

I use boiled linseed on my garden tool and ax handles and I'm careful
with any rags I use. I haven't done any fine woodworking in a long time
but linseed and turpentine was always my favorite finish. It develops a
nice patina. Last I looked you might have to take out a loan to buy real
turpentine.

I've not bought turps for years but a quick check is $22 to $45 a
gallon. Amazon has a glass bottle of 8 oz. for $20

All solvents are out of sight. There isn't any more $1.49 a gallon
paint thinner.