Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Wood steps preservation

On 05/07/2021 05:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/7/2021 6:16 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It
spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have
been a
grand sight.

I live in a small town and about 55 years go there was a fire that wiped
out a city block. The buildings were old and many had wood floors and
about 3 stories tall. Those floors probably had many layers of some
kind of oil on them. The buildings were brick on the outside.

In New England at least once a year one of the old mills would go up
like that as the wood floors were oil soaked. Most every town has a mill
building of some size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Worsted_Mill

https://www.dover.nh.gov/government/...mill-fire.html

https://www.fosters.com/news/2019010...-investigation

It didn't destroy the building but one of other mills in Dover had a
fire when I lived there. I really like those old mills; they have history.

https://www.nps.gov/lowe/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

The tours are very interesting. When you get your fill of mills you can
go searching for Jack Kerouac sites.