Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood steps preservation

On 5/7/2021 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/07/2021 02:55 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It
spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have
been a
grand sight.

I use boiled linseed on my garden tool and ax handles and I'm careful
with any rags I use. I haven't done any fine woodworking in a long time
but linseed and turpentine was always my favorite finish. It develops a
nice patina. Last I looked you might have to take out a loan to buy real
turpentine.

I've not bought turps for years but a quick check is $22 to $45 a
gallon. Amazon has a glass bottle of 8 oz. for $20