Posted to rec.woodworking

Default reclaimed lumber wood preservation question

I've got a small pile of reclaimed 2x4's that were originally
purchased to build shelves in my basement. There is a thrift store
locally that gets the wood out of homes that are being demolished. My
parents ended up getting us heavy duty plastic shelves as a housewarming
gift, so now the lumber sits there unused, taking up space.

I also have a need for some bed edging in my yard - to keep me from
mowing the mulch around a couple of fruit trees and a blueberry hedge.
I'm interested in using some of this ~ 80 year old wood for the job.

Can anyone recommend a good wood preservative that I can apply with a
paintbrush that would stand a good chance of helping the wood stand up
to constant contact with the ground and moisture for perhaps 6 years?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

The simple answer would be . . . .. NO.

Agreed. About the only thing possibly reasonable to apply would be
(expensive) tung oil, plus the time to apply it. Might as well go buy
treated lumber, which is much more appropriate for that application
than anything you could apply, yourself, to those boards.

Another option: Since they are for no other purpose, than taking up
space, paint them, with an oil base primer & paint, and get some use
from them.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Sonny wrote:
The simple answer would be . . . .. NO.

Agreed. About the only thing possibly reasonable to apply would be
(expensive) tung oil, plus the time to apply it. Might as well go buy
treated lumber, which is much more appropriate for that application
than anything you could apply, yourself, to those boards.

Tung oil (or anything similar) would be wasted for the application/purpose.

If OP is adamant of using this for the purpose, something otoo the
CopperCoat or CreoCoat treatments is at least of some value...

http://www.wolman.com/product_category_list.asp?CatId=82

Wolman is just one manufacturer; OP should check at whatever is his
favorite local retailer for what is at hand.

Another option: Since they are for no other purpose, than taking up
space, paint them, with an oil base primer & paint, and get some use
from them.

If this is good salvage material as it sounds as is, I'd personally
suggest taking them back to the Habitat (or similar) store and go buy
treated landscape timbers for the purpose. That way both somebody can
get useful service from the framing lumber and OP will have something
suitable for his purpose as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking

This green stuff is great to keep fungus and all sorts of bug eating
stuff. We used it to coat under our houses when living in a rain forest.
It is available in Northern Ca. and I suspect elsewhere. Check fence companies
if hardware and garden suppliers fail.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/12/2010 1:17 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Ohioguy wrote:
I've got a small pile of reclaimed 2x4's that were originally
purchased to build shelves in my basement. There is a thrift store
locally that gets the wood out of homes that are being demolished. My
parents ended up getting us heavy duty plastic shelves as a
housewarming gift, so now the lumber sits there unused, taking up
space.
I also have a need for some bed edging in my yard - to keep me from
mowing the mulch around a couple of fruit trees and a blueberry hedge.
I'm interested in using some of this ~ 80 year old wood for the job.

Can anyone recommend a good wood preservative that I can apply with
a paintbrush that would stand a good chance of helping the wood stand
up to constant contact with the ground and moisture for perhaps 6
years?

Cuprinol No. 10 Green Wood Preservative. You may have trouble finding it
though. Check at marine stores.

reclaimed lumber TD Driver Woodworking 0 November 20th 08 02:06 AM
Reclaimed wood, fungal grief lurking? Tim Southerwood Woodworking 8 April 20th 08 01:05 PM
Tips for using reclaimed solid wood flooring?? Eusebius UK diy 5 September 10th 06 02:29 PM
Reclaimed wood, pests and kiln drying [email protected] Woodworking 6 March 17th 06 06:07 AM
Reclaimed wood Capt. 321 Woodworking 1 March 23rd 05 09:34 AM