Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Wood steps preservation

On Wed, 05 May 2021 22:31:52 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On Wed, 5 May 2021 06:43:03 -0400, Daryl wrote:

On 5/4/21 5:25 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
A neighbor has wood steps that are very dark and look almost new.
He said they are not pressure treated and are more than a decade old.

They've been in the ground this whole time and haven't aged a bit.

He pours his old motor oil on them whenever he changes his oil.
I could see where he did in that some wide steps were stained darker.

Does motor oil prevent bacteria and mold and insects from eating the wood?

Spray it on my flatbed trailer every year (spruce tubasix bed), no signs of rust or rot.

We used to sprey the old driving shed with engine oil mixed with
something else - can't remember if it was diesel or linseed or what,
but it kept the wood from rotting or being eaten by bugs (or
porcupines)

I imagine it would have flared and smoked pretty good if it had
caught fire!!

Probably linseed oil, that was the good ol wood protectant. It spontaneously
combusts if left in piled rags. If the shed caught fire it would have been a
grand sight.

--
Tekkie