Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint for steel door

New doors coming tomorrow from lowes.
32x80 primed steel full light Masonite.
Looking to paint it satin black. Looking at Rustolium but it has crap reveiws.
Any paint suggestions? Maybe spray can? Best brand with good reviews?
This is back door, stained new front fiberglass door a few months ago
and it came out fantastic. The new door will be on horses in basement so running paint will not be a big issue. It has non removable white grid. Storm door is Tradewinds no paint needed.
Thanks yall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 12:39:30 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
New doors coming tomorrow from lowes.
32x80 primed steel full light Masonite.
Looking to paint it satin black. Looking at Rustolium but it has crap reveiws.
Any paint suggestions? Maybe spray can? Best brand with good reviews?
This is back door, stained new front fiberglass door a few months ago
and it came out fantastic. The new door will be on horses in basement so running paint will not be a big issue. It has non removable white grid. Storm door is Tradewinds no paint needed.
Thanks yall.

Have you looked at automotive or tractor paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 10:39:27 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

New doors coming tomorrow from lowes.
32x80 primed steel full light Masonite.
Looking to paint it satin black. Looking at Rustolium but it has crap reveiws.
Any paint suggestions? Maybe spray can? Best brand with good reviews?
This is back door, stained new front fiberglass door a few months ago
and it came out fantastic. The new door will be on horses in basement so running paint will not be a big issue. It has non removable white grid. Storm door is Tradewinds no paint needed.
Thanks yall.

NEVER paint a steel door with a window black. First - no warranty.
Second - the window trim WILL warp - PARTICULARLY behind a glass storm
door. What direction does it point????

BAD idea, even if pointed north unless you have enough overhang that
direct sun will NEVER hit it.

From experience working for 2 different door / window companies.

As for what paint - other than colour? Automotive 2 part polyurethana
applied by an automotive body / paint shop is the best.
Good acrylic enamel is about second best. Sprayed if possible.

But again - and I can't stress it enough - NOT BLACK!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 10:39:27 -0800 (PST), Thomas posted for all of us to
digest...

New doors coming tomorrow from lowes.
32x80 primed steel full light Masonite.
Looking to paint it satin black. Looking at Rustolium but it has crap reveiws.
Any paint suggestions? Maybe spray can? Best brand with good reviews?
This is back door, stained new front fiberglass door a few months ago
and it came out fantastic. The new door will be on horses in basement so running paint will not be a big issue. It has non removable white grid. Storm door is Tradewinds no paint needed.
Thanks yall.

Not to be a smart ass but why not ask Lowes or the door manufacturer what they
recommend? That way if it doesn't turn out to your expectations you have
someone to yell at. I haven't painted a metal door in 40 years so my advice
would be bad. My off the cuff would be an enamel. Remember a door has 6 sides
to it - top, bottom, sides, front, back. Good luck with your project and please
get back to us with you results.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2021 2:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks yall.

NEVER paint a steel door with a window black. First - no warranty.
Second - the window trim WILL warp - PARTICULARLY behind a glass storm
door. What direction does it point????

BAD idea, even if pointed north unless you have enough overhang that
direct sun will NEVER hit it.

From experience working for 2 different door / window companies.

As for what paint - other than colour? Automotive 2 part polyurethana
applied by an automotive body / paint shop is the best.
Good acrylic enamel is about second best. Sprayed if possible.

But again - and I can't stress it enough - NOT BLACK!!!!!!

Let me add to this a bit. My door is black and no problem but for a
couple of reasons. It does not get direct sun as it is under a roof
and there is no storm door. With indirect sun I've measured temperature
and on spots it was 35 degree over ambient.

That said, not just black but any dark color in the sun, especially with
a storm door can be a big problem. My son had a dark green door and
when the sun hit it you could not touch the door. You could get a
serious burn. Screen not so bad but a glass storm door and greenhouse
effect would bring a black door in the sun well over 150 degrees or more.

It will be worse than getting into a black car that was sitting in the
sun for hours. Think pastel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 5:09:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/20/2021 2:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks yall.

NEVER paint a steel door with a window black. First - no warranty.
Second - the window trim WILL warp - PARTICULARLY behind a glass storm
door. What direction does it point????

BAD idea, even if pointed north unless you have enough overhang that
direct sun will NEVER hit it.

From experience working for 2 different door / window companies.

[...]

Sun will never hit this door. It starts white but i need paint for warranty. All the answers really confuse me.
Pennsylvania under a porch with awnings.
I like color but kitchen is mainly brown ish. Molding will be brown to match other doors and trim.
This door is almost full glass. 4 inches perimiter to paint.
Looking for best brand I guess that experience can cite.
Brush, roll, spray?
The heat will not be a factor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:08:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 2/20/2021 2:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks yall.

NEVER paint a steel door with a window black. First - no warranty.
Second - the window trim WILL warp - PARTICULARLY behind a glass storm
door. What direction does it point????

BAD idea, even if pointed north unless you have enough overhang that
direct sun will NEVER hit it.

From experience working for 2 different door / window companies.

[...]

I looked at a beautiful car for sale last Friday, but it had a black top
and black seats. Park it with the top down in the sun and it hurts a
lot to sit on it. You have to hover over it for a minute before it's
cool enough to sit on.** Especially if you're wearing short pants.

**IIRC I think that works, but I stopped buying cars like that 30 years
ago now I get tan tops and brown seats.

Also, when I had a dark green car and I'd come back to the block I was
parked on, my first thought was always Where is the car? since they've
been light colored, I see them right away.

And the accident rate is highest for black cars and higher the darker
the color.

And yet so many think black cars look like they're rich or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2021 6:38 PM, Thomas wrote:

Sun will never hit this door. It starts white but i need paint for warranty. All the answers really confuse me.
Pennsylvania under a porch with awnings.
I like color but kitchen is mainly brown ish. Molding will be brown to match other doors and trim.
This door is almost full glass. 4 inches perimiter to paint.
Looking for best brand I guess that experience can cite.
Brush, roll, spray?
The heat will not be a factor.

OK, no sun and just a small perimeter you should be OK with black.
Spray paint would be good if you can find a good brand. I know someone
that had doors sprayed at an auto shop with good results but it was
little glass. In your case, the setup time may be expensive for the
small area to be covered.

Auto paint is made to hold up to the elements. I have no idea how it
compared to Krylon and such.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It will be worse than getting into a black car that was sitting in the
sun for hours. Think pastel.

I looked at a beautiful car for sale last Friday, but it had a black top
and black seats. Park it with the top down in the sun and it hurts a
lot to sit on it. You have to hover over it for a minute before it's
cool enough to sit on.** Especially if you're wearing short pants.

Lawn tractor seats - black - duh !
... except Deere.

Black chrome socket sets - duh !

John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:38:14 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 5:09:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/20/2021 2:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks yall.
NEVER paint a steel door with a window black. First - no warranty.
Second - the window trim WILL warp - PARTICULARLY behind a glass storm
door. What direction does it point????

BAD idea, even if pointed north unless you have enough overhang that
direct sun will NEVER hit it.

From experience working for 2 different door / window companies.

[...]

With that little area to cover good automotive spray can should do
the job

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 10:39:27 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:

New doors coming tomorrow from lowes.
32x80 primed steel full light Masonite.
Looking to paint it satin black. Looking at Rustolium but it has crap reveiws.
Any paint suggestions? Maybe spray can? Best brand with good reviews?
This is back door, stained new front fiberglass door a few months ago
and it came out fantastic. The new door will be on horses in basement so running paint will not be a big issue. It has non removable white grid. Storm door is Tradewinds no paint needed.
Thanks yall.

I've had excellent results with Rustoleum. Painted a new garage entry door with it -
brush. But unless you're unhinging the door and laying it horizontal, so the paint levels,
I recommend spray cans. Just remember to use proper technique for spraying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:34:27 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Motorcycle saddles are typically black, Two of my bikes also are painted
black. Approach with care in August. I've had quite a few black cars and
I don't recall them getting hotter that other colors. They are all solar
ovens in the summer.

Let me guess, you got nobody in RL to talk to because everyone shuns you,
well, simply because you ARE an endlessly gossiping blabbermouth! And now
Usenet will have to pay for that!