Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Thomas is offline

Default Paint for steel door

On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 5:09:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/20/2021 2:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks yall.

NEVER paint a steel door with a window black. First - no warranty.
Second - the window trim WILL warp - PARTICULARLY behind a glass storm
door. What direction does it point????

BAD idea, even if pointed north unless you have enough overhang that
direct sun will NEVER hit it.

From experience working for 2 different door / window companies.

As for what paint - other than colour? Automotive 2 part polyurethana
applied by an automotive body / paint shop is the best.
Good acrylic enamel is about second best. Sprayed if possible.

But again - and I can't stress it enough - NOT BLACK!!!!!!

Let me add to this a bit. My door is black and no problem but for a
couple of reasons. It does not get direct sun as it is under a roof
and there is no storm door. With indirect sun I've measured temperature
and on spots it was 35 degree over ambient.

That said, not just black but any dark color in the sun, especially with
a storm door can be a big problem. My son had a dark green door and
when the sun hit it you could not touch the door. You could get a
serious burn. Screen not so bad but a glass storm door and greenhouse
effect would bring a black door in the sun well over 150 degrees or more.

It will be worse than getting into a black car that was sitting in the
sun for hours. Think pastel.

Sun will never hit this door. It starts white but i need paint for warranty. All the answers really confuse me.
Pennsylvania under a porch with awnings.
I like color but kitchen is mainly brown ish. Molding will be brown to match other doors and trim.
This door is almost full glass. 4 inches perimiter to paint.
Looking for best brand I guess that experience can cite.
Brush, roll, spray?
The heat will not be a factor.