rv_russo

Default Best paint for steel garage door with minor rust

Hello,

I have a steel garage door on my house that I had installed about 14
years ago. It was nothing fancy, just your average steel garage door.
It was white when I got it and I never painted it. Other than some
minor rust at the very bottom edge of the door, it is in very good
shape (no flakey paint or anything). The rust at the bottom seems to
be more of a discoloration than an actual pitting.

Is there some kind of paint I can put along the bottom edge of the door
to keep the rust from spreading? I really don't want to paint the whole
door. I thought maybe if I sanded it a little and used Rustoleum
primer and some Rustoleum white paint over that it would work. Needless
to say, I don't know anything about paint or garage doors. Any
recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions.

Roberta

Sherman

On 24 Aug 2005 16:49:18 -0700, "rv_russo" wrote:

[...]

I'd sand all the paint off a small section that has the worst rust
color.
If you end up with shiny new metal after sanding thoroughly, then
your plan will work just fine.
If, on the other hand, you find the metal is rusted through, then
another plan is needed.

TP

Sherman wrote:
[...]

====

I just finished painting my 16 year old metal garage door. It
is a Wayne-Dalton with the factory finish. I lightly sanded the
small rust near the bottom, primed that area with a rustoleum
oil primer for rusty metal. Then scuffed up the rest of the door
with scotch brite pads. I used a Glidden oil base primer. Tinted
primer 50% what my top coat color is. Then used Glidden
endurance latex semi-gloss finish coat. Looks like new again.
The door has a southern exposure, so I made sure to paint when
the sun was not beating on it.

Have fun,
TP