Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why only cloth masks

OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 21 00:24:42 UTC, micky wrote:

OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?

Just perpetuating the party line that cloth masks or any face covering
is just fine. They are still trying to prevent a run on real masks, in
spite of the fact that they are everywhere now.
Amazon had a box of Chinese imitation surgical masks on my doorstep in
a day. When I play the game, I at least try to do it like real medical
people, use them and throw them away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2021 12:24 AM, micky wrote:
OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?

Someone recently published a list of dozens of hypocrite politicians who were ordering people to wear masks but were later caught in public without one.

I suspect the politicians secretly know masks don't work and most people (not all) have realized that as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 20:26:25 -0500, Hal Bundy
wrote:

On 1/1/2021 12:24 AM, micky wrote:
OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?

Someone recently published a list of dozens of hypocrite politicians who were ordering people to wear masks but were later caught in public without one.

But it's way beyond that. I'm talking about people who wear masks not
for the image it gives, but because they don't want to get sick, but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

I suspect the politicians secretly know masks don't work and most people (not all) have realized that as well.

I wrote my first sentence above as if you were reasonable, even though I
figured this was where you were going. NO ONE knows that masks don't
work. They may believe it but you can't know something that is false.
Most people don't think so either, don't t hink they don't work. That's
a fantasy that antivaccers and their ilk tell themselves.

And I don't know why. None of them have the ability to learn the facts
directly. They can only read and if you read, since even some people
say they work, even if these were a minority (and they're not. They're
a large or overwhelming majority) and if I had doubts (which I don't),
I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because they are still more necessary for HCWs and supplies should be
reserved for them. Besides which, the general public most likely
wouldn't don them or doff them properly anyway which would defeat their
purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Chinese surgical masks seem to be a glut on the market right now. I
doubt HE's are having trouble getting them. Now finding a "certified"
surgical mask might be a bit tougher. Nobody knows what these things
they sell at Costco, Walmart or Amazon do.

I do agree about how people wear their mask. About 20% have them below
the nose. I also still see plenty of bandanas and neck gaiters.

I usually wear a face shield. That shuts people up and I can breathe.
The surgical mask makes my nose run and pretty soon it is trash.
Fortunately I carry a box of them in my car for the places that seem
really seem like virus central.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The face shields do very little to protect anyone. They might keep you
from getting infected in the eyes, but next to nothing either way for
inhaled virus.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Masks aren't for preventing you from getting sick. They're for preventing
you from making other people sick. Even if you're a politician.

That's what surgical masks are for. If a surgeon doesn't want to get
patient goo on him, he wears a face shield.

but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

They don't need better masks. The general public doesn't need
better masks, and politicians don't need better masks.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It makes the mask police happy tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/21 12:24 AM, micky wrote:
OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?

A cynic might suggest it's mainly for their image. They want to
look like
common people who have lost their lively hoods and can't go to a restaurant
to sit down to eat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F pretended :

wrote:

[...]

That's a good thing, as they are (or should be) single use and better
than cloth ones.

I doubt HE's are having trouble getting them. Now finding a "certified"
surgical mask might be a bit tougher. Nobody knows what these things
they sell at Costco, Walmart or Amazon do.

I do agree about how people wear their mask. About 20% have them below
the nose. I also still see plenty of bandanas and neck gaiters.

True, they can't even get the easy ones right. Try fitting a respirator
properly and then envision one of those people trying to use one. They
might as well just chew gum or something -- but then they can't walk.

I usually wear a face shield. That shuts people up and I can breathe.
The surgical mask makes my nose run and pretty soon it is trash.
Fortunately I carry a box of them in my car for the places that seem
really seem like virus central.

The face shields do very little to protect anyone. They might keep you from
getting infected in the eyes, but next to nothing either way for inhaled
virus.

At least he's doing something, he is otherwise (at least here) quite
the contrarian.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/1/2021 12:24 AM, micky wrote:

Someone recently published a list of dozens of hypocrite politicians who were ordering people to wear masks but were later caught in public without one.

But it's way beyond that. I'm talking about people who wear masks not
for the image it gives, but because they don't want to get sick, but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2021/01...caught-n302630

Oh no! Looks like Sarah lost her face mask and maybe her nipple mask is about to fall off too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2020 10:00 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:29:43 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

snip
Because they are still more necessary for HCWs and supplies should be
reserved for them. Besides which, the general public most likely
wouldn't don them or doff them properly anyway which would defeat their
purpose.

Chinese surgical masks seem to be a glut on the market right now. I
doubt HE's are having trouble getting them. Now finding a "certified"
surgical mask might be a bit tougher. Nobody knows what these things
they sell at Costco, Walmart or Amazon do.

I do agree about how people wear their mask. About 20% have them below
the nose. I also still see plenty of bandanas and neck gaiters.

I usually wear a face shield. That shuts people up and I can breathe.
The surgical mask makes my nose run and pretty soon it is trash.
Fortunately I carry a box of them in my car for the places that seem
really seem like virus central.

Why aren't all the non-maskers dead by now? SHRUGS

I'm guessing it's because they're either healthy, their immune systems
are working just fine, or covid is NOT the big bad contagious killer the
MSM and politicians CLAIM?

I go where I want and when I want w/o ever wearing a mask. When a mask
nazi at the door of a business asks if I want a mask, I tell them, "No
thanks, I can't wear them," and I just keep on walking. I do my
shopping, SMILE at everyone as they pass, and some people even smile
back at me because they aren't wearing masks, either!

It's a sad thing to see people muzzled. The look in their eyes is
pitiful quite often.

I've breathed FRESH AIR all my life and my immune system has done it's
job. When it comes to this new covid vaccine, I'm NOT taking it.
Perhaps, in 3 to 5 yrs enough people will have revealed all the negative
reactions to it and it'll be tweaked to remove THOSE issues. I've never
taken a vaccine that wasn't tested for at least that long. Let OTHER
people be the guinea pigs for new vaccines - NOT ME!

More people need to be doing this, and it looks like the idea is
catching on, too. Freedom speaks way louder than being muzzled.

Anti-Mask Flash Mobs Begin to Show Up in Stores Around the Country,
Loudly Encouraging Freedom
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2020...VEoD5zKjVsExcQ
--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2021 18:42, Muggles wrote:
On 12/31/2020 10:00 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:29:43 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

snip
[...]

More than 900 US healthcare workers have died of Covid-19 and the toll
is rising.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-900-have-died

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think KN97's work fine for me. Haven't worn a cloth mask yet. $1.50
each last time I bought them. I did wear surgical masks for a while at
the start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oops, that's KN95's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why aren't all the non-maskers dead by now? SHRUGS

Medical science is often difficult to understand -
and sometimes it even leaves room for variables -
certainly it's not 100 % all the time.
Whereas religeous zealotry is very easy and is
always 100 % true and correct - no room for doubt !
So - find your comfort in your beliefs - facts be damned.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/1/2021 12:24 AM, micky wrote:
OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

I should have said N95 or KN95 respirator, but calling them masks is
very common, and only means the same devices.

[...]

What does 'that' refer to. What is what surgical masks are for?
Preventing you from making other people sick or preventing you from
getting sick.

If a surgeon doesn't want to get
patient goo on him, he wears a face shield.

Fair enough.

But From wikip, A surgical mask, also known as a medical face mask, is
intended to be worn by health professionals during healthcare
procedures. Surgical masks are intended to prevent infections in
patients and treating personnel by catching bacteria shed in liquid
droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose.[3][4][5] They
are not designed to protect the wearer from breathing in airborne
bacteria or viruses whose particles are smaller, but could be protective
because viruses on droplets are filtered-out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_mask **

So I guess some of these are better than cloth masks, but they still
protect other people, not the wearer. I'm happy to protect other
people, even though I haven't been sick and haven't actually protected
anyone, but I definitely want to protect myself.

but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

They don't need better masks. The general public doesn't need
better masks, and politicians don't need better masks.

Huh? Why do you say that? Everyone would be better off if there were
enough N95 masks / repirators to go around, and, of course, if they were
worn. I'm lucky that I had 2 unused ones and one moderately used one
that I bought to prevent inhaling fiberglass. The rubber bands broke
after an hour or two so I sewed new elastic on one. I don't go out
much and I'm still using it, but it's starting to look old.

I asked the cardiologist** I had to see twice in December and he said
that some N95 masks are better than others but all are better than
non-N95 masks. He said the better ones did make it harder to breathe,
like some people have complained. **The guy who did my cardiac
catheterization wore two masks (one N95 and one not and a face shield.
The face shield had a big violet button on either side that the ear
loops from the mask attached two, so his ears wouldnt' get "tired" two.

** Surgical masks were originally designed to protect medical personnel
from splashes or sprays of bodily fluids, but the effectiveness of
surgical masks against influenza-like infections has not been confirmed
by high-quality randomized controlled trials.[8] Surgical masks vary by
quality and levels of protection. Despite their name, not all surgical
masks are appropriate to be used during surgery. Surgical masks may be
labeled as surgical, isolation, dental, or medical procedure masks.[9]
Chinese health officials distinguish between medical (non-surgical) and
surgical masks.[10]

Surgical masks are made of a nonwoven fabric created using a melt
blowing process. They came into use in the 1960s and largely replaced
cloth facemasks in developed countries.[11] The dark blue (or green)
side of the mask (the fluid-repellant layer) is to be worn outward, with
the white (absorbent) layer on the inside.[12][13][14] With respect to
some infections like influenza surgical masks could be as effective (or
ineffective) as respirators, such as N95 or FFP masks;[15][16][17]
though the latter provide better protection in laboratory experiments
due to their material, shape and tight seal.[18][19]

......A surgical mask, by design, does not filter or block very small
particles in the air that may be transmitted by coughs, sneezes, or
certain medical procedures. Surgical masks also do not provide complete
protection from germs and other contaminants because of the loose fit
between the surface of the face mask and the face.[28]

A surgical mask is a loose-fitting, disposable device that creates a
physical barrier between the mouth and nose of the wearer and potential
contaminants in the immediate environment. If worn properly, a surgical
mask is meant to help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays,
or splatter that may contain viruses and bacteria, keeping it from
reaching the wearer's mouth and nose.[28] Surgical masks are effective
barriers for retaining large droplets released from the mouth and nose
by the wearer in public.[26] Surgical masks help reduce exposure of the
wearer's saliva and respiratory secretions to others[28] that could
otherwise travel up to 26 feet.[29] Surgical mask also remind wearers
not to touch their mouth or nose, which could otherwise transfer viruses
and bacteria after having touched a contaminated surface.[27]

A surgical mask is not to be confused with a respirator and is not
certified as such. Surgical masks are not designed to protect the wearer
from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles and are less
effective than respirators, which are designed for this purpose.[26]
Collection efficiency of surgical mask filters can range from less than
10% to nearly 90% for different manufacturers masks when measured using
the test parameters for NIOSH certification. However, a study found that
even for surgical masks with "good" filters, 80100% of subjects failed
an OSHA-accepted qualitative fit test, and a quantitative test showed
1225% leakage.[30]

Modern surgical masks are made from paper or other non-woven material
and should be discarded after each use.[

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2021 1:42 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've breathed FRESH AIR all my life and my immune system has done it's
job.* When it comes to this new covid vaccine, I'm NOT taking it.
Perhaps, in 3 to 5 yrs enough people will have revealed all the negative
reactions to it and it'll be tweaked to remove THOSE issues.* I've never
taken a vaccine that wasn't tested for at least that long.* Let OTHER
people be the guinea pigs for new vaccines - NOT ME!

I know you don't believe in science but there are plenty of facts and
answers here. The vaccine was actually started years ago to be ready
when Covid came along.

https://imgur.com/gallery/sqRMb9r

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 1 Jan 2021 07:17:56 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 1/1/21 12:24 AM, micky wrote:
OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?

A cynic might suggest it's mainly for their image. They want to

I was trying, until my last word, to not make it partisan, but it may be
that Republicans especially don't think they are of mdeical value. But
some thing they are of medical value, especially Democrats, and even tey
don't wear N95 or even KN95, or even the disposeable paper masks which
iiuc are still better than cloth masks. And those are the people I'm
asking about.

Is it that they can't get n95? They're hard to get. For a while some
were on Amazon and not reserved for clinics, hospitals, etc who have ID,
but even then in the reviews a couple were saying they were imitation
and not really N95. When I looked a couple days later, either they were
gone or they required medical ID.

look like
common people who have lost their lively hoods and can't go to a restaurant
to sit down to eat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Considering some Costco associates wear face shields and they have the
strictest mask policy around, I think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was trying, until my last word, to not make it partisan, but it may be
that Republicans especially don't think they are of mdeical value. But
some thing they are of medical value, especially Democrats, and even tey
don't wear N95 or even KN95, or even the disposeable paper masks which
iiuc are still better than cloth masks. And those are the people I'm
asking about.

Micky - you are sounding like a moron.
... even more than usual.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Surgical masks are for preventing the surgeon from breathing
germs into his work.

[...]

Then stay at home.

but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

They don't need better masks. The general public doesn't need
better masks, and politicians don't need better masks.

Huh? Why do you say that? Everyone would be better off if there were
enough N95 masks / repirators to go around, and, of course, if they were
worn.

Who's going to properly fit all these masks and train the wearer in their
proper use? Otherwise they might just as well wear a bandana.

I'm lucky that I had 2 unused ones and one moderately used one
that I bought to prevent inhaling fiberglass. The rubber bands broke
after an hour or two so I sewed new elastic on one. I don't go out
much and I'm still using it, but it's starting to look old.

Do these N95 masks have output valves? If so, they're useless
for protecting other people.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's what I thought you meant.

[...]

Or get a better mask, which is what I've done.

but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

They don't need better masks. The general public doesn't need
better masks, and politicians don't need better masks.

Huh? Why do you say that? Everyone would be better off if there were
enough N95 masks / repirators to go around, and, of course, if they were
worn.

Who's going to properly fit all these masks and train the wearer in their
proper use?

This is not rocket science. YOu can see how to wear them by reading
instructions and looking at how others do.

Otherwise they might just as well wear a bandana.

I'm lucky that I had 2 unused ones and one moderately used one
that I bought to prevent inhaling fiberglass. The rubber bands broke
after an hour or two so I sewed new elastic on one. I don't go out
much and I'm still using it, but it's starting to look old.

Do these N95 masks have output valves? If so, they're useless
for protecting other people.

I think they did but they were square with holes along the bottom. The
valves can be plugged through the holes in the bottom front. 3 holes
side by side, and one seems big enough to push some non-permeable
material through, but if not, the little ribs between the holes can be
broken and then there's plenty of room.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky expressed precisely :

wrote:

[...]

Like the one pictured here?

https://www.ferguson.com/content/tra...espirator-mask
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2020 10:00 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:29:43 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

snip
[...]

So? People die every day. Are you upset by the deaths of babies in the
womb from abortion? What about deaths from the flu? OH WAIT!! The flu
has been cured by covid. What about deaths from bacterial pneumonia?
WAIT!! They don't report on pneumonia, either. EVERY DEATH THESE DAYS
IS VIA COVID!! Not even car accidents cause death, now. It's ALL COVID.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2021 8:11 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It has been explained to her over and over again that despite their mindset, anti-maskers are not displaying their bravado at being unscared by the pandemic, but that they are sociopathic individuals who don't care about protecting others from their
possible spewing of contamination in public spaces.

Your cloth mask is about protecting other people, a concept that sociopaths don't care to think about.

And you never know when you'll stumble across an unhinged democrat. LOL

On New Years Eve, left-wing journalist and New York Times bestselling author Kurt Eichenwald wished pain & misery on Republicans and said that he wants to find an antimasker and beat them to death.

During the volatile rant, Eichenwald also scolded alleged anti-mask F***ING Christians who preen about God saving [them] from COVID, claiming they are who Jesus condemns.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/journ...-them-to-death

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky expressed precisely :

wrote:

[...]

Don't confuse these people with facts.
I didn't see bandanas or ripped up T shirts folded and sewn into a
"face covering" on that list anywhere.

They are seriously talking about respirators designed to filter
particles larger than 0.3 microns. Nobody is willing to say they do
**** on a virus that is 1/3d that size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2021 1:02 PM, Muggles wrote:

** Medical science is often difficult to understand* -
and sometimes it even* leaves room for variables* -
* certainly it's not 100 %* all the time.
** Whereas* religeous zealotry* is* very easy* and* is
always* 100 %* true* and* correct* -* no room for doubt !
* So - find your comfort in your* beliefs -* facts be damned.
*** John T.

The FACTS are not wearing masks keep people healthy. Wearing masks make
people SICK!

Can you show the science behind that? Surely you have some references.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 1:02:42 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 1/1/2021 1:37 PM, wrote:

Why aren't all the non-maskers dead by now? SHRUGS

Medical science is often difficult to understand -
and sometimes it even leaves room for variables -
certainly it's not 100 % all the time.
Whereas religeous zealotry is very easy and is
always 100 % true and correct - no room for doubt !
So - find your comfort in your beliefs - facts be damned.
John T.

The FACTS are not wearing masks keep people healthy. Wearing masks make
people SICK!

Wearing a mask has never made me sick.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 1:06:59 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 1/2/2021 1:54 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 01 Jan 2021 14:37:15 -0500,
wrote:

Why aren't all the non-maskers dead by now? SHRUGS

I agree with your shrugging. If you have to ask that question, you
don't understand disease or disease transmission or percentages and
other arithmetic concepts.

Well, being a data analyst and being highly trained in analytics, &
marketing, I think I'm good.

Marketing is bull**** and whatever "analytics" you think you know is
a tiny, tiny fraction of what statistics really does.

Cindy Hamilton