Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Why only cloth masks

On 1/1/2021 3:37 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 8:55:10 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 20:26:25 -0500, Hal Bundy
wrote:

On 1/1/2021 12:24 AM, micky wrote:
OT? Why is it that everyone one sees on the news, politicians of both
parties and others, is wearing a cloth mask rather than an N95 or even
KN95 mask?

You can tell by looking that they are cloth.

But in addition, all N95 masks have, aiui, rubber bands around the head
rather than earloops. KN95 masks seem to all have earloops and I'm not
sure why, but afaik they all seem to be "beak" masks and no one on the
news is wearing that.

Is it just because they can't get N95 masks? I try not to be cynical
but when did that stop a US Senator, esp. for example McConnell?

Someone recently published a list of dozens of hypocrite politicians who were ordering people to wear masks but were later caught in public without one.

But it's way beyond that. I'm talking about people who wear masks not
for the image it gives, but because they don't want to get sick,

Masks aren't for preventing you from getting sick. They're for preventing
you from making other people sick. Even if you're a politician.

That's what surgical masks are for. If a surgeon doesn't want to get
patient goo on him, he wears a face shield.

but
still wear only cloth masks, which doctors and scientists say are much
more beneficial for other people around you than they are for the
wearer. So why don't they get better masks?

They don't need better masks. The general public doesn't need
better masks, and politicians don't need better masks.

Cindy Hamilton

I think KN97's work fine for me. Haven't worn a cloth mask yet. $1.50
each last time I bought them. I did wear surgical masks for a while at
the start.