Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can these cost $68?

How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/20 9:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

It looks like one is $68. Hit the plus key on the side to watch
the dollars change. Are there five pictured because one can build up to
a five wide light rack?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2020 10:32 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/23/20 9:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68?Â* There just little metal? rings.Â*Â* What are
they?Â* They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages.Â* I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not.Â* I found them under fog lights.Â*Â* I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels?Â*Â* Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* It looks like one is $68.Â* Hit the plus key on the side to watch
the dollars change.Â* Are there five pictured because one can build up to
a five wide light rack?

No, says 5 pcs in small print above
KC HiLiTES 5 Pcs. Black Ed Coated KC Flex Bezel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2020 10:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

Easy. People that build those thing just want it. Probably costs no
more than $8 to produce them. When I worked in the hobby industry
retail price was at least 5X cost to produce. Then there is tooling to
amortize.

They are also ED coated. That is a couple of bucks but many people have
never heard of it.

ED Coating is known by many names like Electrodeposition,
Electropheretic, Electrophoresis Coating, Cationic E-Coat and Cathodic
Electro Deposition just to name a few. It is an organic coating method
that uses electrical current to deposit paint onto a part or assembled
product
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/20 10:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

Where do you see these are for a Solara ?

They are replacement rings on a after-market 5 lamp "off-road" light bar
made by KC Hilites

See
https://www.amazon.com/KC-HiLites-28... 17566&sr=8-58

Also see
https://www.amazon.com/KC-HiLiTES-30.../dp/B015EBIMJ0 where
there is a video at the bottom of the page showing the bezels being
swapped to change color of the bezel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 23 Sep 2020 23:26:29 -0400,
wrote:

On 9/23/20 10:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

Where do you see these are for a Solara ?

I put Solara in in the first place, and then looked for bulbs for my
car, and I hope everything they show also fits my car. Maybe not.

They are replacement rings on a after-market 5 lamp "off-road" light bar
made by KC Hilites

See
https://www.amazon.com/KC-HiLites-28... 17566&sr=8-58

Thanks. Wow. $484 for the lights, which Amazon cleverly says will not
fit my car. Actually they only list Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT
Rubicon Steel Bumper Option. My car is nothing like those.

I guess if you'll spend 484 for lights, 68 is nothing for colored
bezels.

Also see
https://www.amazon.com/KC-HiLiTES-30.../dp/B015EBIMJ0 where
there is a video at the bottom of the page showing the bezels being
swapped to change color of the bezel.

So the thing is only a foot wide.

I do my off-roading in the daytime. :-)

And cheaper too, only $41 for what Autozone wanted 68. But hey, if
you've got it in your pocket, spend it. You can worry about old age if
you live that long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 23 Sep 2020 23:20:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 9/23/2020 10:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

Easy. People that build those thing just want it. Probably costs no
more than $8 to produce them. When I worked in the hobby industry
retail price was at least 5X cost to produce. Then there is tooling to
amortize.

They are also ED coated. That is a couple of bucks but many people have
never heard of it.

I'd never heard of it either.

ED Coating is known by many names like Electrodeposition,
Electropheretic, Electrophoresis Coating, Cationic E-Coat and Cathodic
Electro Deposition just to name a few. It is an organic coating method
that uses electrical current to deposit paint onto a part or assembled
product

I want some!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 22:19:48 -0400, micky
wrote:

How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

Because they can?

I just looked a refrigerator door gasket and they want $140-150 for
them. (one of 2 on a french door fridge).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 10:20:35 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68?

Because somebody (probably quite a few somebodies) are willing to
pay that much for them.

Why are diamonds and gold expensive? Apart from some interesting
industrial uses, they are of no practical value.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2020 10:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

If you don't like the price you could always buy a chunk of stainless steel and carve one out with your pocket knife.

Or buy a SLS RP that does metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2020 6:23 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 10:20:35 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68?

Because somebody (probably quite a few somebodies) are willing to
pay that much for them.

Why are diamonds and gold expensive? Apart from some interesting
industrial uses, they are of no practical value.

Cindy Hamilton

I dunno, used properly even an ugly guy can get laid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery writes:
In article ,
says...

Just as some are willing to pay lots of money for old coins and stamps.
Just the collector value that some place on them. Probably one of the
biggest 'fools' I know of was that there is a canceled postage stamp
that is reported to be about the only one in the world and it auctioned
off for over a million bucks. A totally worthless square inch of paper.

Are you sure that you're not confused about a fictional scene in
_Brewster's Millions_?

Who are you to judge someone elses purchase?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Just as some are willing to pay lots of money for old coins and stamps.
Just the collector value that some place on them. Probably one of the
biggest 'fools' I know of was that there is a canceled postage stamp
that is reported to be about the only one in the world and it auctioned
off for over a million bucks. A totally worthless square inch of paper.

Are you sure that you're not confused about a fictional scene in
_Brewster's Millions_?

Who are you to judge someone elses purchase?

I think that scene was where he bought a rare stamp and then mailed a
letter with it. It may have been the airmail stamp with the upside down
airplane, but I am not sure as I only saw that movie once and it was a
long time ago.

No, it is a real stamp and last sold for around 9.4 million dollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Guiana_1c_magenta

If the origional buyer would have kept it and sold it at that price it
would probably have been one of the greatest returns on an investment.
Going from one cent to 9.4 million dollars.

It has been rumored that another was found and auctioned off and the
buyer was the one that owned the first one. He then destroied the one
he just bought so his would still be the only one in the world. That is
just a rumor and probably not true.

As one of the wiser men once said 'a fool and his money are soon
parted'.

If someone has the money to throw away I do not care how he spends it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 10:53:54 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
n Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 10:20:35 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68?

Because somebody (probably quite a few somebodies) are willing to
pay that much for them.

Why are diamonds and gold expensive? Apart from some interesting
industrial uses, they are of no practical value.

The industral diamonds are almost worthless. It is just the DeBeers had
a lock on the jewlery grade diamonds for many years and had convienced
all the women that they needed them.

Just as some are willing to pay lots of money for old coins and stamps.
Just the collector value that some place on them. Probably one of the
biggest 'fools' I know of was that there is a canceled postage stamp
that is reported to be about the only one in the world and it auctioned
off for over a million bucks. A totally worthless square inch of paper.

Not too many years ago the Cabbage Patch dolls were a hot item for
Christmas and people were fighting over them and paying several hundred
bucks for them. Now you can't hardly give them away.

What? Are you saying my "Furby" is worthless ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My understanding is that each state has the power to select its EC electors
as they see fit, and all this time the states have seen fit to give that
power to the people, as exercised through a popular vote. However, about
all the states have to do is mumble something about potential fraud and
presto, the popular vote can be tossed out, leaving the state to select its
electors.

Bush v Gore affirmed that the states retain the power to select their EC
electors.

Some states are reliably red and some states are reliably blue, so none of
those states would have to get pulled into the chaos. For the toss-up
states, though, it could be a wild ride. Between outright tossing the
popular vote to tying things up in court, it looks like things are going to
get messy.

Separately, but related, some states have laws that prevent any actions WRT
mail-in ballots prior to election day. For example, some states have laws
that say comparing signatures or counting ballots can't start until
election day. That's going to make it hard to declare a winner on election
day in some cases, then as mail-in ballot results start to come in you can
expect to see court challenges begin.

It's like Trump said yesterday, when asked if he would commit to a peaceful
transfer of power if he loses the election, "If we toss the ballots there
won't be a transfer of power, there'd be a continuation of power."

"If we toss the ballots"? Which third world dictatorship did he pull that
from?

Ralph Mowery writes:
[...]

You referred to them as "fools", twice. That's judgement. So obviously you
do care.

It's no different from someone buying a 1.5 million dollar McLaren and
crashing it the next day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:00:30 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

[...]

That's ridiculous to pay 9+ million.

I wouldn 't have given more than 5 million.

If the origional buyer would have kept it and sold it at that price it
would probably have been one of the greatest returns on an investment.
Going from one cent to 9.4 million dollars.

It has been rumored that another was found and auctioned off and the
buyer was the one that owned the first one. He then destroied the one
he just bought so his would still be the only one in the world. That is
just a rumor and probably not true.

As one of the wiser men once said 'a fool and his money are soon
parted'.

If someone has the money to throw away I do not care how he spends it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:32:07 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/23/20 9:19 PM, micky wrote:
How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are
they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I
don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or
not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why
would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2.
One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...zel/474955_0_0

It looks like one is $68. Hit the plus key on the side to watch
the dollars change. Are there five pictured because one can build up to
a five wide light rack?

No, the price is for 5. They are special "custom" "bling" specially
made for KC HiLite lamps. Not for Mikey's Solara fog lites
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 24 Sep 2020 13:40:45 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I like the story of someone that went around to restraunts and offered a
napkin he had scribbled on for the price of the meal. Over the years
those napkins became probably worth the restraunts he ate in as he
became a famous artist.

During the Manhattan Project, when Enrico Fermi and his crew ate lunch
at the Quadrangle Club, they hired deaf waiter(s) to serve the lunch,
and they had agents assigned to burn the napkins after the meal. At
least any that he wrote on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I like the story of someone that went around to restraunts and offered a
napkin he had scribbled on for the price of the meal. Over the years
those napkins became probably worth the restraunts he ate in as he
became a famous artist.

During the Manhattan Project, when Enrico Fermi and his crew ate lunch
at the Quadrangle Club, they hired deaf waiter(s) to serve the lunch,
and they had agents assigned to burn the napkins after the meal. At
least any that he wrote on.

.... and yet the Soviets still got all of the research data ... from a
British spy. (Fuchs) It just shows how hard it is to keep a secret.

There are lots of "Picasso and the napkin" stories floating around,
spun just about every way imaginable. I am not sure any of them are
actually true.