Posted to alt.home.repair

Default first time changing car oil in two decades, question

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/20 2:38 PM, Bill Saunders wrote:
I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

Follow the directions on the filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:38:30 -0400, Bill Saunders wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

Slightly beyond hand tight is the correct answer. Maybe a quarter- to a
half-turn beyond with the wrench. "Snug" would be appropriate.

Using even the old oil to coat the mating surface is sufficient. Just dip
your finger in the drain pan and run it around the edge of the new filter.
Just don't screw it in dry...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/20 2:52 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:38:30 -0400, Bill Saunders wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

Slightly beyond hand tight is the correct answer. Maybe a quarter- to a
half-turn beyond with the wrench. "Snug" would be appropriate.

Uh oh. Looks like I better wait until the engine cools then carefully
loosen and re-tighten because I tightened it down way more than that.

Using even the old oil to coat the mating surface is sufficient. Just dip
your finger in the drain pan and run it around the edge of the new filter.
Just don't screw it in dry...

No problem there, just looks like I tightened it way too much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:56:31 -0400, Bill Saunders wrote:

Uh oh. Looks like I better wait until the engine cools then carefully
loosen and re-tighten because I tightened it down way more than that.

You received the correct answers already so I'll just point out that
rec.autos.tech & alt.home.repair are fine for such questions.
o http://tinyurl.com/rec-autos-tech
o http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:38:30 -0400, Bill Saunders
wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

I've only changed the oil myself a couple times, but iirc, I didn't even
use the wrench to tighten it. ???? Though I was pretty firm with my
hand. Just a little beyond where it first stopped turning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2020 11:56 AM, Bill Saunders wrote:
On 8/27/20 2:52 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:38:30 -0400, Bill Saunders wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

Slightly beyond hand tight is the correct answer. Maybe a quarter- to a
half-turn beyond with the wrench. "Snug" would be appropriate.

Uh oh.Â* Looks like I better wait until the engine cools then carefully
loosen and re-tighten because I tightened it down way more than that.

Using even the old oil to coat the mating surface is sufficient. Just dip
your finger in the drain pan and run it around the edge of the new
filter.
Just don't screw it in dry...

No problem there, just looks like I tightened it way too much!

An oil filter wrench is used only to remove an oil filter, never to
install one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/20 2:56 PM, Bill Saunders wrote:
[...]

Agree.

Back it off a little then re-tighten- either to what the filter says or
if no info there, a quarter-turn past hand-snug is about right.

Many years ago, I over-tightened an oil filter which slightly deformed
the gasket and it developed a leak.

--
Been sheltering in the house with my wife for a few months now with
access to HBO, Netflix, internet, cell service, home delivery of just
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:56:31 -0400, Bill Saunders posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

Do not loosen it if it is installed and *leak free*. Leave it alone. Just be
aware the next time the filter is changed it may be a bear to to remove. Be
mindful of any leaks. Next time read the directions (not being snarky). I just
had mine done at the dealers and garages are open in PA.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

Good luck getting that sucker off 6 months from now. I'd loosen it
NOW and tighten to spec - usually about 1/4 turn past "seated".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/20 1:38 PM, Bill Saunders wrote:
I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

Tighten it by hand firmly. Someone else said snug. That's a
good description. But loosen it now. It could be a royal pain if you
wait a few months or a year down the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

Good luck getting that sucker off 6 months from now. I'd loosen it
NOW and tighten to spec - usually about 1/4 turn past "seated".

I just did. Thanks to the group. Although the oil change seemed
simple, I'm going to jot down some notes so I don't forget the small
things. It could be quite some time before my mechanic does it again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

Â* Good luck getting that sucker off 6 months from now. I'd loosen it
NOW and tighten to spec - usually about 1/4 turn past "seated".

I just did.Â* Thanks to the group.Â* Although the oil change seemed
simple, I'm going to jot down some notes so I don't forget the small
things.Â* It could be quite some time before my mechanic does it again.

Good goin'...when they get "growed on" or over tight, one can have the
whole can collapse or even tear when try to remove later; there's not
that much to them -- a little more than a tin can, but not a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had to order everything too after my mechanic had done the task all
these years, so it took a couple of weeks for the oil, filter, drain
container and filter wrench to arrive (all ordered online and shipped
here).

The only question was the oil. 5W20, but wasn't sure if I should use
high mileage or regular oil as the car has 170K miles. So I went with
Pennzoil "conventional" high mileage oil. Maybe next time maybe I'll go
with synthetic high mileaage oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message

[...]

Makes more sense to replace it with another new one now to avoid that.

Be mindful of any leaks. Next time read the directions (not being
snarky).
I just had mine done at the dealers and garages are open in PA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:26:35 +1000, "Joshua Snow"
wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message

[...]

No need to replace it now - the rubber has not been baked hard so just
loosening it and tightening to the proper torque will fix the problem.

Be mindful of any leaks. Next time read the directions (not being
snarky).
I just had mine done at the dealers and garages are open in PA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/27/2020 12:56 PM, Bill Saunders wrote:
[...]

If anything they tighten and you play hell when it comes time to remove
it. I go for quarter to half turn with my hand, not a wrench, which
means I can usually take it off by hand too. I've been changing spin on
filters since they went to them from cartridge filters and never had one
fall off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/27/2020 02:58 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

+1 on that. Leave it alone and have a decent filter wrench the next
time. Or just take it to the dealer's and let them handle it. I've found
the end cap type wrenches work well but every filter manufacturer uses a
slightly different pattern. I have a collection between the bikes and
the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When you're driving a screwdriver through what's left of the can you
know it's a bad day. I'm a little weird; when I go shopping for a car I
pop the hood and make sure I can get to the stuff that needs getting to.
I think some manufacturers don't give a lot of thought to how you're
going to get the filter out when they drop the engine into the chassis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28/8/20 4:38 am, Bill Saunders wrote:
I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

Most used to be something like two thirds of a turn beyond the point
where the seal makes contact with the face.

A lot of people take that 2/3 of a turn to read 2 to 3 turns, at least
it seems that way when I've tried to remove some filters.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28/8/20 3:25 pm, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Indeed, I have also never had one leak by following the instructions
included with or printed on the filter. After a few hundred you develop
a sense of feel for them. ;-)

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 2:38:35 PM UTC-4, Bill Saunders wrote:
I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

You got good answers on the oil filter.

But I suspect there were two things you unscrewed: the filter, and the oil drain plug. That plug or bolt also needs to be installed correctly, and some of them have a crush washer, that may or may not need replacement.

And there's a third bolt that often comes out, but obviously you were smart enough not to do this, so you should be okay. But it's not uncommon for a first timer to mistake the transmission plug for the oil drain. No harm done as long as you realize it and put it back in without leaks, and top off the transmission fluid as needed. I have a friend who drains some transmission fluid and some coolant every time he changes oil. He doesn't totally replace either fluid, but he figures over a few oil changes he gets it pretty clean, and he's been driving high mileage cars longer than anybody I know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/20 8:23 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

I made sure to find and watch a video on my car first. I also use ramps
and wanted to be certain there would be no issues with the oil pan screw
being at the correct place at the start (back of pan instead of front,
for example).

Since visiting my mechanic won't be done now unless there's no other
choice, I have to also consider the coolant and transmission fluid
changes as well, or maybe just drain some of them and top off like your
friend does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:26:35 +1000, Joshua Snow posted for all of us to
digest...

"Tekkie®" wrote in message

[...]

That is a possibility.

Be mindful of any leaks. Next time read the directions (not being
snarky).
I just had mine done at the dealers and garages are open in PA.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2020 1:22 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:26:35 +1000, Joshua Snow posted for all of us to
digest...

Makes more sense to replace it with another new one now to avoid that.

That is a possibility.

That means having a clean container in which to catch all the brand new
oil just put in the crankcase...or a refill of what loses in the process.

Not the optimal thing to have to do when can just back off the present a
little.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2020 12:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/29/2020 1:22 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:26:35 +1000, Joshua Snow posted for all of us to
digest...

Makes more sense to replace it with another new one now to avoid that.

That is a possibility.

That means having a clean container in which to catch all the brand new
oil just put in the crankcase...or a refill of what loses in the process.

Not the optimal thing to have to do when can just back off the present a
little.

--

You lose the volume of oil in the filter, which could be dumped back
into the engine. Unless the filter is bent up, it probably is

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2020 01:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/29/2020 1:22 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:26:35 +1000, Joshua Snow posted for all of us to
digest...

Makes more sense to replace it with another new one now to avoid that.

That is a possibility.

That means having a clean container in which to catch all the brand new
oil just put in the crankcase...or a refill of what loses in the process.

Not the optimal thing to have to do when can just back off the present a
little.

It all depends... On my Toyota you can remove the filter and just lose
the contents of the filter. If that's the case on the OP's engine,
filling the filter with fresh oil should be good enough. I do that
during a normal oil change out of habit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 23:32:14 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

When you're driving a screwdriver through what's left of the can you
know it's a bad day. I'm a little weird;

I'd like to drive a screwdriver throught your senile head, senile
blabbermouth!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 23:25:01 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

If anything they tighten and you play hell when it comes time to remove
it.

Just what does it take to remove YOU, senile gossip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 23:28:07 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

+1 on that. Leave it alone

Just leave ahr alone, senile blabbermouth!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:41:04 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

It all depends... On my Toyota you can remove the filter

You need a big filter over your big mouth, senile blabbermouth!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:41:04 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/29/2020 01:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/29/2020 1:22 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:26:35 +1000, Joshua Snow posted for all of us to
digest...

Makes more sense to replace it with another new one now to avoid that.

That is a possibility.

That means having a clean container in which to catch all the brand new
oil just put in the crankcase...or a refill of what loses in the process.

Not the optimal thing to have to do when can just back off the present a
little.

It all depends... On my Toyota you can remove the filter and just lose
the contents of the filter. If that's the case on the OP's engine,
filling the filter with fresh oil should be good enough. I do that
during a normal oil change out of habit.

That is true of virtually every engine built with an oil filter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2020 11:38 AM, Bill Saunders wrote:
I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

You got a lot of good answers here.

Bottom line, hand tighten plus 1/4 turn. That's all.

Since you really torqued the thing on, it will be a real hassle to
change it. You may have to have it done at a shop.,

Some said to back it off a little now. You could, but just watch for
leaks. Some said to replace now while you can still get it off. Your
choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Been there when I was young. I learned fast not to second guess
instructions.