Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default first time changing car oil in two decades, question

On 8/27/20 2:56 PM, Bill Saunders wrote:
On 8/27/20 2:52 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:38:30 -0400, Bill Saunders wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active.Â* Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be?Â* I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight.Â* Thanks in advance.

Slightly beyond hand tight is the correct answer. Maybe a quarter- to a
half-turn beyond with the wrench. "Snug" would be appropriate.

Uh oh.Â* Looks like I better wait until the engine cools then carefully
loosen and re-tighten because I tightened it down way more than that.

Using even the old oil to coat the mating surface is sufficient. Just dip
your finger in the drain pan and run it around the edge of the new
filter.
Just don't screw it in dry...

No problem there, just looks like I tightened it way too much!

Agree.

Back it off a little then re-tighten- either to what the filter says or
if no info there, a quarter-turn past hand-snug is about right.

Many years ago, I over-tightened an oil filter which slightly deformed
the gasket and it developed a leak.

--
Been sheltering in the house with my wife for a few months now with
access to HBO, Netflix, internet, cell service, home delivery of just