Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default first time changing car oil in two decades, question

On 08/27/2020 02:58 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:56:31 -0400, Bill Saunders posted for all of us to
digest...

On 8/27/20 2:52 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:38:30 -0400, Bill Saunders wrote:

I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

Slightly beyond hand tight is the correct answer. Maybe a quarter- to a
half-turn beyond with the wrench. "Snug" would be appropriate.

Uh oh. Looks like I better wait until the engine cools then carefully
loosen and re-tighten because I tightened it down way more than that.

Using even the old oil to coat the mating surface is sufficient. Just dip
your finger in the drain pan and run it around the edge of the new filter.
Just don't screw it in dry...

No problem there, just looks like I tightened it way too much!

Do not loosen it if it is installed and *leak free*. Leave it alone. Just be
aware the next time the filter is changed it may be a bear to to remove. Be
mindful of any leaks. Next time read the directions (not being snarky). I just
had mine done at the dealers and garages are open in PA.

+1 on that. Leave it alone and have a decent filter wrench the next
time. Or just take it to the dealer's and let them handle it. I've found
the end cap type wrenches work well but every filter manufacturer uses a
slightly different pattern. I have a collection between the bikes and
the car.