Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default first time changing car oil in two decades, question

On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 2:38:35 PM UTC-4, Bill Saunders wrote:
I know this is offtopic here, but I posted in some auto groups but
doesn't look like they're very active. Due to Covid, for the first time
in two decades, I changed my own oil today on my Ford Taurus, but I have
a question: how tight should the oil filter be? I coated it first with
the new oil, then tightened by hand followed by quite tight with the
filter wremch, but now I'm reading that I should have only tightened it
slightly beyond hand tight. Thanks in advance.

You got good answers on the oil filter.

But I suspect there were two things you unscrewed: the filter, and the oil drain plug. That plug or bolt also needs to be installed correctly, and some of them have a crush washer, that may or may not need replacement.

And there's a third bolt that often comes out, but obviously you were smart enough not to do this, so you should be okay. But it's not uncommon for a first timer to mistake the transmission plug for the oil drain. No harm done as long as you realize it and put it back in without leaks, and top off the transmission fluid as needed. I have a friend who drains some transmission fluid and some coolant every time he changes oil. He doesn't totally replace either fluid, but he figures over a few oil changes he gets it pretty clean, and he's been driving high mileage cars longer than anybody I know.