Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More about Yeosemite

Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.
The last of the 5 ships was the USS Yosemite AD-19. The commissioning
crew used that pronunciation as a joke and it stuck. I myself was
stationed on the USS Dixie AD-14.

So after trump mispronounced it, they probably assigned 3 people to find
some basis for his mistake, and if they came across this, they'd claim
trump had known about it and was honoring the crew of the destroyer for
saying it that way .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2020 6:08 PM, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.
The last of the 5 ships was the USS Yosemite AD-19. The commissioning
crew used that pronunciation as a joke and it stuck. I myself was
stationed on the USS Dixie AD-14.

So after trump mispronounced it, they probably assigned 3 people to find
some basis for his mistake, and if they came across this, they'd claim
trump had known about it and was honoring the crew of the destroyer for
saying it that way .

Lots of words are not pronounced like they are spelled.* Only a moron would be amused by such silliness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 15:08, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.
The last of the 5 ships was the USS Yosemite AD-19. The commissioning
crew used that pronunciation as a joke and it stuck. I myself was
stationed on the USS Dixie AD-14.

So after trump mispronounced it, they probably assigned 3 people to find
some basis for his mistake, and if they came across this, they'd claim
trump had known about it and was honoring the crew of the destroyer for
saying it that way .

Trump can be forgiven for mispronouncing Yosemite. He
is from New York. He had trouble pronouncing HUGE, which
he pronounces YUGE. At least he pronounces Nevada
correctly.

It is somewhat amusing that a lot of people do not realize
what the word Yosemite means:

Those who kill

It was the original tribe's name for the US soldiers that
came and murdered virtually all of them. Not our finest hour.

Folks say the word Yosemite and think beautiful national
park, but do not realize the word was not the original name
for the area, but for the murders that cleared out the park
of the original inhabitants who were completely defenseless.

Those same ass holes that did that tried it on the Apache
a bit later and got their asses righteously handed to
them. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 15:26, A noiseless patient Spider wrote:
On 8/9/2020 6:08 PM, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.
The last of the 5 ships was the USS Yosemite AD-19. The commissioning
crew used that pronunciation as a joke and it stuck. I myself was
stationed on the USS Dixie AD-14.

So after trump mispronounced it, they probably assigned 3 people to find
some basis for his mistake, and if they came across this, they'd claim
trump had known about it and* was honoring the crew of the destroyer for
saying it that way .

Lots of words are not pronounced like they are spelled.* Only a moron
would be amused by such silliness.

A lot of words are also not pronounced the way they
are spelled. This is because we borrow from so many
other languages and why English is so hard to pick
up as a second language.

Remember this rule from Publik Skool:

"I" before "E" unless it is the word "received"
or the word you are trying to spell?

This is because IE and EI are pronounced in reverse
in German and other language we borrow from.

But, what the heck, I believe Mark Twain hit
the nail on the head:

Anyone who can only think of one way to spell
a word obviously lacks imagination.
-- Mark Twain

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 16:14, Ralph Mowery wrote:
For example he said he wanted a torch so the mechanics drug
some acelean and oxygen bottles and accessories up to him. Turned out
he relly wanted a flashlight.

Chuckle. Torch is Brit for flashlight. And Germans
learn Oxford English.

Here is a couple of good ones.

Pants:
American: trousers
Brit: underwear

****ed:
American: angry
Brit: drunk

Wazoo
American: abundance
Brit: they are complete baffled

I have yet to get a Brit to confirm for me
if "****ed off" mean you are sober. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 15:08, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.
The last of the 5 ships was the USS Yosemite AD-19. The commissioning
crew used that pronunciation as a joke and it stuck. I myself was
stationed on the USS Dixie AD-14.

So after trump mispronounced it, they probably assigned 3 people to find
some basis for his mistake, and if they came across this, they'd claim
trump had known about it and* was honoring the crew of the destroyer for
saying it that way .

Trump can be forgiven for mispronouncing Yosemite.* He
is from New York.* He had trouble pronouncing HUGE, which
he pronounces YUGE.* At least he pronounces Nevada
correctly.

Not according to every reference I could find.

"It is pronounced, phonetically, Nev-AD-A. "
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 04:37 PM, T wrote:
A lot of words are also not pronounced the way they
are spelled. This is because we borrow from so many
other languages and why English is so hard to pick
up as a second language.

That's why I really like German. The compound nouns can be clunky but
there are no surprises.

I was curious about Yosemite. I never thought about it but it doesn't
work in Spanish. Supposedly it's a pejorative Miwok term for Paiutes up
the line of Navajo which supposedly was derived from the Hopi word for
'head bashers'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 05:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Where I worked there was an engineer that came from Germany. We had
trouble understanding what he wanted. He said he spoke perfect English.
One fellow told him he may speak perfect English, but needed to speak
Southern. For example he said he wanted a torch so the mechanics drug
some acelean and oxygen bottles and accessories up to him. Turned out
he relly wanted a flashlight.

That's what happens when you learn English from the English.

I never learned to spell very well. Had it in my head that if I got a
very good job the secetary could take care of all the small stuff and if
not much of a job, I would not be doing any writing. Now we have spell
checkers and they sometimes use the wrong word or spelling.

My brother couldn't spell or type but he never needed to. He didn't know
squat about computers either. That's what secretaries and young
engineers are for. When he started out it was all slide rules and by the
time the technology changed he was too high up the food chain to be
bothered.

His wife sussed out computers enough to find recipes on the internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 05:27 PM, T wrote:
Chuckle. Torch is Brit for flashlight. And Germans
learn Oxford English.

I expect what I learned is formal Hochdeutsch circa 1929. In high school
we used 'Emil and the Detectives' which was a 1929 kids' book. College
German was more about reading German technical papers before the Germans
stopped writing technical papers in German.

These days, I mostly cope with Schwedenkrimi. Germans love the stuff and
unlike 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' many of the Swedish crime novelists
get translated to German before they make it to English, if ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 04:29 PM, T wrote:
It is somewhat amusing that a lot of people do not realize
what the word Yosemite means:

Those who kill

It was the original tribe's name for the US soldiers that
came and murdered virtually all of them. Not our finest hour.

The story I read it was the Paiutes that were doing the killing and the
Miwoks the killees. The indigenous peoples were peaceful, nature loving
folks. Don't forget it.

One of the local features is Hellgate Canyon. That name came from the
French trappers who found all the dead Nez Perce that had wandered into
the Blackfeet's favorite ambush site on their way to the buffalo supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 15:08, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.
The last of the 5 ships was the USS Yosemite AD-19. The commissioning
crew used that pronunciation as a joke and it stuck. I myself was
stationed on the USS Dixie AD-14.

So after trump mispronounced it, they probably assigned 3 people to find
some basis for his mistake, and if they came across this, they'd claim
trump had known about it and* was honoring the crew of the destroyer for
saying it that way .

Trump can be forgiven for mispronouncing Yosemite.* He
is from New York.* He had trouble pronouncing HUGE, which
he pronounces YUGE.* At least he pronounces Nevada
correctly.

Not according to every reference I could find.

"It is pronounced, phonetically, Nev-AD-A. "

It is the politicians that come to our state and
tell us that Nev-odd-da is their favorite state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 08/09/2020 05:27 PM, T wrote:
Chuckle. Torch is Brit for flashlight. And Germans
learn Oxford English.

I expect what I learned is formal Hochdeutsch circa 1929. In high school
we used 'Emil and the Detectives' which was a 1929 kids' book. College
German was more about reading German technical papers before the Germans
stopped writing technical papers in German.

They still do, particularly with chemistry.

These days, I mostly cope with Schwedenkrimi. Germans love the stuff and
unlike 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' many of the Swedish crime novelists
get translated to German before they make it to English, if ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 16:14, Ralph Mowery wrote:
For example he said he wanted a torch so the mechanics drug
some acelean and oxygen bottles and accessories up to him.* Turned out
he relly wanted a flashlight.

Chuckle.* Torch is Brit for flashlight.* And Germans
learn Oxford English.

Here is a couple of good ones.

Pants:
** American:* trousers
** Brit:***** underwear

****ed:
** American: angry
** Brit:**** drunk

Wazoo
** American: abundance
** Brit:**** they are complete baffled

I have yet to get a Brit to confirm for me
if "****ed off" mean you are sober.** :-)

It doesn't. ****ed off just means your annoyed or fed up.

****ed just means drunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 09:42 PM, %% wrote:

They still do, particularly with chemistry.

Not surprising. One of my chemistry classes was taught by Herr Doktor
Bernhard Wunderlich and he was more comfortable in German. His specialty
was high pressure crystalline lattices and I'm not sure I would have
understood it much better in English.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 15:08, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

[...]

Ne VAD ah works for me although just where the V hangs out is moot. For
me it sort of bridges the two syllables.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 16:14, Ralph Mowery wrote:
For example he said he wanted a torch so the mechanics drug
some acelean and oxygen bottles and accessories up to him. Turned out
he relly wanted a flashlight.

Chuckle. Torch is Brit for flashlight. And Germans
learn Oxford English.

Here is a couple of good ones.

Pants:
American: trousers
Brit: underwear

Thats not accurate, it also means casual trousers in british english.

****ed:
American: angry
Brit: drunk

Also means angry in british english.

Wazoo
American: abundance
Brit: they are complete baffled

I have yet to get a Brit to confirm for me
if "****ed off" mean you are sober. :-)

It doesn't. ****ed off just means your annoyed or fed up.

****ed just means drunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 23:01, %% wrote:

Pants:
****American:**trousers
****Brit:******underwear

Thats*not*accurate,*it*also*means*casual *trousers*in*british*english.

Chuckle! You can't get any more casual than walking around
in your underwear!

Here are more of them:

15 American English Words that British People Don't Understand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LhgAVD06Z0

College and university are good ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-08-09 15:08, micky wrote:
Yosumight.

Someone wrote that actually that pronounced name dates back to the
early
1940's when the last of the Dixie Class Destroyer Tenders were built.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 19:55:26 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I expect what I learned is formal Hochdeutsch

FLUSH more useless senile drivel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 13:42:01 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 23:32:28 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Not surprising. One of my chemistry classes was taught by Herr Doktor
Bernhard Wunderlich

Oh, no! Not yet more senile ****!

FLUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 16:01:12 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 19:48:16 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

My brother couldn't spell or type but he never needed to. He didn't know
squat about computers either.

Yep, we know already, you stem from a huge family of inbred hayseeds,
lowbrowwoman ...hence your endless blabbering! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 19:43:04 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I was curious about Yosemite. I never thought about it but it doesn't
work in Spanish. Supposedly it's a pejorative Miwok term for Paiutes up
the line of Navajo which supposedly was derived from the Hopi word for
'head bashers'.

ROTFLOL What an endlessly blabbering asshole!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 23:37:23 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Ne VAD ah works for me although just where the V hangs out is moot. For
me it sort of bridges the two syllables.

For me you are a blithering asshole, senile gossip! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 20:01:42 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The story I read it was the Paiutes that were doing the killing and the
Miwoks the killees. The indigenous peoples were peaceful, nature loving
folks. Don't forget it.

One of the local features is Hellgate Canyon. That name came from the
French trappers who found all the dead Nez Perce that had wandered into
the Blackfeet's favorite ambush site on their way to the buffalo supply.

Good grief! Do you REALLY have nobody in RL to talk to? Could it be it's
because you talk way too much? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 23:32:28 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/09/2020 09:42 PM, %% wrote:

They still do, particularly with chemistry.

Not surprising. One of my chemistry classes was taught by Herr Doktor
Bernhard Wunderlich and he was more comfortable in German. His specialty
was high pressure crystalline lattices and I'm not sure I would have
understood it much better in English.

My high school science teacher was German but we went along with his
story that he was really Swiss and that scar on his cheek was a bike
accident ;-)

The Chemistry teacher was a retired US treasury chemist who worked
during prohibition. He had lots of stories about that. He did tune up
my moonshining skills tho, a skill I still have but seldom use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 09:42 PM, %% wrote:

They still do, particularly with chemistry.

Not surprising. One of my chemistry classes was taught by Herr Doktor
Bernhard Wunderlich and he was more comfortable in German. His specialty
was high pressure crystalline lattices and I'm not sure I would have
understood it much better in English.

My high school science teacher was German but we went along with his
story that he was really Swiss and that scar on his cheek was a bike
accident ;-)

The Chemistry teacher was a retired US treasury chemist who worked
during prohibition. He had lots of stories about that. He did tune up
my moonshining skills tho, a skill I still have but seldom use.

My high school chemistry teacher was Polish. She was in the Resistance
during WWII.

Unsurprisingly, she didn't put up with any bull**** from the students.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 09:42 PM, %% wrote:

[...]

That was an interesting thing about going to school in the 50s and
early 60s. There were quite a few teachers who were around in the
Depression or WWII. They could put a little different spin on things.
Our main high school math teacher was a West Point instructor during
WWII. He did Geometry and Algebra. There was another guy who did
general math and trig. He was a grad student at Georgetown picking up
a few extra bucks. I always thought that was a strange mix tho.