Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default More about Yeosemite

On 08/09/2020 05:27 PM, T wrote:
Chuckle. Torch is Brit for flashlight. And Germans
learn Oxford English.

I expect what I learned is formal Hochdeutsch circa 1929. In high school
we used 'Emil and the Detectives' which was a 1929 kids' book. College
German was more about reading German technical papers before the Germans
stopped writing technical papers in German.

These days, I mostly cope with Schwedenkrimi. Germans love the stuff and
unlike 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' many of the Swedish crime novelists
get translated to German before they make it to English, if ever.