Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default More about Yeosemite

In article , lid says...

A lot of words are also not pronounced the way they
are spelled. This is because we borrow from so many
other languages and why English is so hard to pick
up as a second language.

American English has many words that are pronounced the same but spelled
differently and other words that are spelled differently but pronounced
the same. Then it can depend on the part of the country you are in as
to how to say the same word.

Where I worked there was an engineer that came from Germany. We had
trouble understanding what he wanted. He said he spoke perfect English.
One fellow told him he may speak perfect English, but needed to speak
Southern. For example he said he wanted a torch so the mechanics drug
some acelean and oxygen bottles and accessories up to him. Turned out
he relly wanted a flashlight.

I never learned to spell very well. Had it in my head that if I got a
very good job the secetary could take care of all the small stuff and if
not much of a job, I would not be doing any writing. Now we have spell
checkers and they sometimes use the wrong word or spelling.

I have seen many examples where if you get most of the letters right
anyone with an IQ that I want to deal with can understand it.

Here is a good example of technobable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4