Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default More about Yeosemite

On 08/09/2020 04:29 PM, T wrote:
It is somewhat amusing that a lot of people do not realize
what the word Yosemite means:

Those who kill

It was the original tribe's name for the US soldiers that
came and murdered virtually all of them. Not our finest hour.

The story I read it was the Paiutes that were doing the killing and the
Miwoks the killees. The indigenous peoples were peaceful, nature loving
folks. Don't forget it.

One of the local features is Hellgate Canyon. That name came from the
French trappers who found all the dead Nez Perce that had wandered into
the Blackfeet's favorite ambush site on their way to the buffalo supply.