Posted to alt.home.repair

Default daisy chain extension cords

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Theodore wrote:

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is
running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely
without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop
would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any
appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug
in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at
11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.

Theodore-

Try it and see. Do you have a voltmeter? I would hope for at least 108
VAC, which is 120 V minus ten percent. It would help if you could crank
the generator to ten percent high.

A small microwave may work if they temporarily unplug the refrigerator.

You might also try parking the generator 100 feet away and using the 12
gage cord to your house.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is
running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely
without power.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop
would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any
appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug
in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at
11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.

One very important appliance which is often forgotten is...
the sump pump.

If you and your neighbor have basements with sump pumps,
it's a good idea to make sure they've got power...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 7:32 PM, Theodore wrote:
Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

Is it fair to guess that the gas/fuel stations are shut down
also? Would an inverter in her vehicle be a practical solution?
We had them at work in company pickups to run light loads. I'm
thinking of drills and 1/2" impact wrenches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might also try parking the generator 100 feet away and using the 12
gage cord to your house.

Fred

Understood. The last suggestion is not an option for me. My generator is connected via a 10ft long 240V 3-wire to a transfer switch and powers my house (water pump, fridge, etc). I want to be helpful, but cannot be to my family's detriment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2020 8:32 PM, Theodore wrote:
Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

Put the 12 ga first of course. You may be able to even do the
refrigerator since most new ones take little power. Worth a try to save
food..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2020 6:39 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Theodore wrote:

[...]

Though those cords with high loads, not a chance. For charging small
devices, no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 17:32:43 -0700 (PDT), Theodore
wrote:

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

Have him buy a 250' roll of 10ga Romex.
It is legal for "temporary" wiring (a concession to the building
industry)
If you are interested I could run a voltage drop calc but there are
calculators all over the internet. Do it in 2 steps, 100" of #12 and
150 of #16 and add the drop together.
For some small loads it will work tho. I ran 2 condos on an extension
cord, Fridge, TV and a light or two. They were #12 tho. I had a cube
tap at the 1st 100' for one condo and the other end went into mine. He
had a 25' 16ga orange cord to the fridge and a 16ga zip cord for the
TV and light at the 1st condo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 22:28:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Why? Resistors in series add, no matter what order they are in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

Buy enough 12 gauge cord to reach. Say another 100 and 50 foot one.
You may want to see if there is a 10 gauge 100 foot cord, but I doubt
you would find one already made.

Then you could use a lot more power. If you have a voltmeter, if not
buy one of the $ 10 ones and check the voltage at the user end of the
cords. Stay above 110 volts and you would be ok.

remember that is the voltage AT the load, when the load is connected.
With no load there will be no voltage drop
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 6 Aug 2020 19:15:14 -0700 (PDT), Theodore
wrote:

You might also try parking the generator 100 feet away and using the 12
gage cord to your house.

Fred

Understood. The last suggestion is not an option for me. My generator is connected via a 10ft long 240V 3-wire to a transfer switch and powers my house (water pump, fridge, etc). I want to be helpful, but cannot be to my family's detriment.

Detriment comes in all degrees, so don't put it that way to your
neighbor. Say that you'd have to disconnnect eveything to move the
generator and could only reconnect a little bit to your own house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 10:30 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Buy enough 12 gauge cord to reach. Say another 100 and 50 foot one.
You may want to see if there is a 10 gauge 100 foot cord, but I doubt
you would find one already made.

I have found one at Lowes.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Christ rode on an ass, but now asses ride on Christ." -- Heine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 11:06 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Or buy a 250' roll of 10/2 WG wire and make a cord.

Will #10 solid wire fit normal ends?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Christ rode on an ass, but now asses ride on Christ." -- Heine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

So, how do you check the voltage when something is connected?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2020 1:56 PM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Use a voltmeter in a splitter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2020 1:14 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 8/6/20 11:06 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Or buy a 250' roll of 10/2 WG wire and make a cord.

Will #10 solid wire fit normal ends?

Heavy duty ones should work fine. Probably won't meet code, but 250'
linked extension cords would probably not either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 11:06 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Or buy a 250' roll of 10/2 WG wire and make a cord.

Will #10 solid wire fit normal ends?

Heavy duty ones should work fine. Probably won't meet code, but 250'
linked extension cords would probably not either.

Fretwell mentioned a way to do it. See his post on 8/6/20 at
10:25.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 11:06 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Or buy a 250' roll of 10/2 WG wire and make a cord.

Will #10 solid wire fit normal ends?

Heavy duty ones should work fine. Probably won't meet code, but 250'
linked extension cords would probably not either.

Hmmm .. which "code" would need to be met ?
... for emergency temporary 110 volt extension cords ..
... supplied from backup generator -
Good luck with that one !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 15:14:03 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 8/6/20 11:06 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Or buy a 250' roll of 10/2 WG wire and make a cord.

Will #10 solid wire fit normal ends?

It will fit in a commercial grade plug and you can use the handy box
method on the other end. Again this is only OK for a temporary deal
and OSHA doesn't even like that. It is just a loophole in the NEC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2020 9:15 PM, Theodore wrote:
You might also try parking the generator 100 feet away and using the 12
gage cord to your house.

Fred

Understood. The last suggestion is not an option for me. My generator is connected via a 10ft long 240V 3-wire to a transfer switch and powers my house (water pump, fridge, etc). I want to be helpful, but cannot be to my family's detriment.

I applaud your generosity ! That said , overcome your altruistic
tendencies and DON'T DO IT ! I say this because just as sure as the sun
is going to come up tomorrow your neighbor is going to plug in much more
than that cord set can handle . A couple of lights and maybe a fan , but
any more than that is going to overload that long run of small cord and
probably burn up the cords . Not to mention drawing the voltage down to
a level that may damage your stuff .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2020 4:56 PM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

You pull out the plug a tiny bit to fit the probe in the opening. There
are other ways too, plugging in a device between that you can check with..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 8:32:46 PM UTC-4, Theodore wrote:
Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

I ran some extension cords a couple hundred feet and I was surprised at how
well it worked. I think one was 10 or 12g, but the others were just
regular, probably 16g. Ran a fridge, freezer, exhaust fan for gas water
heater, gas furnace, lights, no problems.

Big thing to help, manage the loads and monitor the voltage, if you can.
Fridges and freezers in the last decade or two only pull about 100W when
running. Starting could be several times that for seconds, going down
over a couple minutes. You can also run one for two hours, then another,
etc. Just use common sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 13:56:32 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Carefully. Using a "splitter" or power bar makes it easy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 8:32 PM, Theodore wrote:
Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

Tell the sponge democrat to buy their own.Â* Giving welfare to democrats is what got us in to this palms-up dependence mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 4:56PM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

You should just check the outlet, not both outlet and device at the same time (as opposed to just checking continuity - just use a hot stick.) Anyway, if a running car's cigarette lighter has an AC inverter, that can free up another two outlets for you for use. But keep the car running to save on car battery care.