Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default daisy chain extension cords

On 8/7/2020 1:56 PM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

Buy enough 12 gauge cord to reach. Say another 100 and 50 foot one.
You may want to see if there is a 10 gauge 100 foot cord, but I doubt
you would find one already made.

Then you could use a lot more power. If you have a voltmeter, if not
buy one of the $ 10 ones and check the voltage at the user end of the
cords. Stay above 110 volts and you would be ok.

remember that is the voltage AT the load, when the load is connected.
With no load there will be no voltage drop

So, how do you check the voltage when something is connected?

Andy

Use a voltmeter in a splitter.