Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default daisy chain extension cords

In article ,
Theodore wrote:

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is
running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely
without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop
would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any
appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug
in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at
11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.

Theodore-

Try it and see. Do you have a voltmeter? I would hope for at least 108
VAC, which is 120 V minus ten percent. It would help if you could crank
the generator to ten percent high.

A small microwave may work if they temporarily unplug the refrigerator.

You might also try parking the generator 100 feet away and using the 12
gage cord to your house.

Fred