Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No mask consequences

On 08/08/2020 05:03 PM, Frank wrote:
My brother got an annulment to get remarried in the Catholic Church even
though he had four kids by his first wife. It took several years and
they called me in to testify and I told them that he was too immature to
be married the first time. Will not give details but he was doing
things you would not expect an engaged person to do.

That's the hard part of an annulment, convincing them the first marriage
had enough flaws that it really wasn't a valid marriage. Nobody ever
said Catholics aren't good at logic chopping, particularly the Jebs.

While all of our sons were baptized in the Catholic Church we did not
burden them with a religious upbringing. They have thanked me for that.

I was baptized but one year during Boy Scout week when they said you
should attend church with your family I made the fatal mistake of asking
"What's church?" .

I did have some inkling. A babysitter had dragged my in a church on Good
Friday where you were supposed to silently pray for 2 hours and then
kiss a crucifix lying on a purple satin pillow on your way out. iirc I
had a few nightmares about that.

By the time I got shuffled off to 'religious instruction' every
Wednesday afternoon I'd worked out my own animistic view of how the
world works. It did not include the concept of sin or the need for
salvation from sin and that's really the core of Christianity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 21:15:09 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 04:30 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 12:37:50 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 04:02 AM,
wrote:
The funny thing is people may get married in a church but at least
half of them fail and they end up having to go to the government to
get out of it.

Even with the license and gratuity to Peggy (the minister) it was a hell
of a lot cheaper to get into in than out of it. And that's with a fairly
friendly divorce. Massachusetts in the '70s was great. The acceptable
grounds were adultery, drunkenness, homosexuality, and some other
peaches. We settled on 'cruel and abusive treatment'.

When I left my first wife it was a no fault thing (Florida law) and
fairly amicable. Our marriage was all about the money and we cut a
deal we could both agree with and no drama at all. We are still fairly
good friends.

I think Massachusetts eventually went to a no fault or at least a less
draconian code since then. In the early '70s the state was still showing
its Puritanical roots.

My employer at the time was on the way to bankruptcy and was pocketing
the funds meant for health insurance. My wife is a T1 diabetic and tends
to run up medical bills. The settlement was a lump sum basically to
cover her expenses and was deductible whereas alimony would not have
been. She also got the Audi, which was one of the crueler things I did
to her. She traded it for a Rabbit which at the time was a step up. Audi
is still in business so I assume they have figured out how to build
cars. VW's first attempt at putting the engine and drive train at the
other end of the vehicle had problems.

I don't think either of us were meant to be married. We definitely were
clueless about playing house. Another cruel moment was when the
neighborhood Stepford Wives showed up to welcome us and I slipped out
the back leaving her to fend for herself.

I was going to Florida, stay or go with me. She stayed I went.
We were staying together for the house. I left it for her and I took a
big bag of money, my tools and my clothes. (A van, a trailer and what
fit in my Firebird). I was overweight crossing the Florida state line
on the Uhaul trailer a little but they let me put a couple of tool
boxes in the front of the van and sent me on my way.
It turned out I didn't need to go through the chicken coop in the
first place but I was there and they had to do something I guess.
It seemed pretty silly to me since my GVW did not change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/08/2020 11:35 PM, wrote:
I was overweight crossing the Florida state line
on the Uhaul trailer a little but they let me put a couple of tool
boxes in the front of the van and sent me on my way.
It turned out I didn't need to go through the chicken coop in the
first place but I was there and they had to do something I guess.
It seemed pretty silly to me since my GVW did not change.

It's axles. The spread out rear axles on some trucks change it a little
but on conventional setups you can have 34,000 on the drivers and rear
duals, 12,000 on the steering axle for a total of 80,000 GVW. Most
trailers have sliding rear axles so you can change the weight distribution.

Some states have a limit on the axle to axle dimensions or the length
from the kingpin to the rear axle. I had one load where I slid the rears
back to make the Montana coop but in North Dakota I was too long. Cost a
hundred bucks but they let me go on.

I don't know what the limit is on a U-Haul trailer.

That's the deal with the spread rear axles. The standard tandem axles
are about 5 feet apart and you're allowed 34,000 pounds. Spread them out
to 10' apart and you can have 20,000 on each axle. The GVW still is
80,000 but you don't have to worry about getting the load balanced just
right.

DOT regs don't always make a lot of sense but the coop dwellers are
happy to explain them as they're writing the ticket. I had a load so
close I had to take the tire chains off the hangers on the truck and
throw them in the back of the trailer to get a couple of hundred pounds
off the drivers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 21:26:53 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

That's the hard part of an annulment, convincing them the first marriage
had enough

FLUSH the senile gossip's latest drivel

Is there no medication yet for compulsive gossiping, senile blabbermouth?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 09:21:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll**** unread

--
FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 21:15:09 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I think Massachusetts

FLUSH the off topic senile blather
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 00:28:31 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

It's axles. The spread out

FLUSH yet another load of the inevitable off topic senile blather
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 00:28:31 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 11:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

That is probably what it was. They were happy when I got about 200
pounds in the passenger seat. It also moved more tongue load to the
truck since the stuff came out of the back of the trailer.
The max trailer weight was painted right on the trailer. That may have
been the deal too.
I had been driving 12 hours by then and I wasn't fresh when I started.
I really just wanted to get going and I might have thrown something in
the trash to get out of there.
Funny thing. A cup of truck stop coffee and 20mg of Biphetamine "and
my eyes were open wide" for that last 200 miles.