DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   No mask consequences (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/678463-re-no-mask-consequences.html)

[email protected] August 6th 20 07:03 PM

No mask consequences

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 19:26:13 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/05/2020 12:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I have mixed feelings about that. One the one hand, I feel people have
the right to be assholes. On the other hand, the situation is similar
to black people, and if we hadn't taken a stand there would still be
"colored" drinking fountains.

I was about 11 when I saw my first colored drinking fountain.
Disappointing. The water wasn't colored, just warm. I don't recall
taking a stand one way or the other.

I never saw it until we took a bus trip across the south, in the 50s,
Oklahoma to Florida and somewhere around the Mississippi line things
changed instantly. I didn't understand why I woke up on the back seat
of the bus surrounded by giggling little black girls. I thought it was
fun until someone dragged me up front. Being from DC, I didn't have a
problem with black girls.

Of course, this comes from someone who does not find homosexuality
unnatural or disgusting.

I don't have a problem with gays, including one of my nephews. I fully
support civil unions with all the legal benefits of marriage. However I
do think a marriage is between a man and a woman, 'man' being defined as
someone born with balls, and 'woman' as someone born without.

That whole problem would be solved if the government got out of the
marriage business. Marriage is a religious ceremony, everything the
government should be involved with is simple contract law and should
be available to any 2 or more consenting adults.
Being in God's waiting room, I can see the advantages to extending
what the government grants to married people, to the "Golden Girls".
(Hospital visitation, survivorship, inheritance, tax breaks etc) if
they are willing to sign the commitment contract.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] August 6th 20 09:14 PM

No mask consequences

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 2:05:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] August 6th 20 11:05 PM

No mask consequences

On 8/6/2020 2:03 PM, wrote:

That whole problem would be solved if the government got out of the
marriage business. Marriage is a religious ceremony, everything the
government should be involved with is simple contract law and should
be available to any 2 or more consenting adults.
Being in God's waiting room, I can see the advantages to extending
what the government grants to married people, to the "Golden Girls".
(Hospital visitation, survivorship, inheritance, tax breaks etc) if
they are willing to sign the commitment contract.

Oh so many legal situations affect marriage though. That would be the
tough part.

rbowman August 7th 20 04:10 AM

No mask consequences

On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

rbowman August 7th 20 04:12 AM

No mask consequences

On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/ordination/

You too can be an ordained minister...

T[_6_] August 7th 20 04:44 AM

No mask consequences

On 2020-08-06 20:06, rbowman wrote:
At least the South had signs. In the North black people had to figure
outÂ*whereÂ*theyÂ*weren'tÂ*supposedÂ*toÂ*be.

A black friend of my mother in law said that she preferred
the South as it was all up front and no subterfuge. You
always knew where you stood

[email protected] August 7th 20 04:45 AM

No mask consequences

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 13:14:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

In Florida the church service has absolutely zero force of law. The
only dispensation is a preacher is one of about a half dozen classes
of people who can witness the signatures on the marriage license and
then it has to be filed with the clerk of court, just like 100 other
types of document.
We had a ceremony on the beach with some old friend of ours presiding
who had no affiliation with anyone but he put on a good show and made
the parents happy. Then at a later date we pulled the "permit" and had
the office manager at Hawk's Cay in the Keys notarized it with all the
ceremony of swapping the title on a 96 Corolla. My wife didn't file it
right away, she said I was on probation.

[email protected] August 7th 20 04:51 AM

No mask consequences

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 18:05:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/6/2020 2:03 PM, wrote:

That whole problem would be solved if the government got out of the
marriage business. Marriage is a religious ceremony, everything the
government should be involved with is simple contract law and should
be available to any 2 or more consenting adults.
Being in God's waiting room, I can see the advantages to extending
what the government grants to married people, to the "Golden Girls".
(Hospital visitation, survivorship, inheritance, tax breaks etc) if
they are willing to sign the commitment contract.

Oh so many legal situations affect marriage though. That would be the
tough part.

Not really.
What part would be hard. In most states (if not all) marriage is a
civil union anyway.
In Florida it is about like transferring a simple deed.
The ramifications are still based on that "marriage license" document,
not anything God says. There is no reason any domestic partnership
couldn't have the same rights and duties as soon as you get religion
out of it.

rbowman August 7th 20 06:30 AM

No mask consequences

On 08/06/2020 09:56 PM, wrote:
I had a Wallace sticker on my car but I am sorry to say I actually
voted for Nixon.

Wallace eventually returned to what he had been and I don't think it was
all the born again thing. After the 1958 loss he did what he had to do
to win elections. Only he knew how much of it was an act.

I didn't vote for Nixon. I don't remember if I ever voted until Reagan's
first campaign. I didn't vote for his second term because I didn't think
he needed my vote.

Peeler[_4_] August 7th 20 08:55 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:10:39 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far

....and the senile gossiping continues... LOL

Peeler[_4_] August 7th 20 08:56 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:12:50 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/ordination/

You too can be an ordained minister...

I suppose ANY blabbermouth can be. You'd be perfect for the job,
lowbrowwoman.

Peeler[_4_] August 7th 20 08:58 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:06:35 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I was visiting my brother in Huntsville. That was the year George
0Wallace lost the governor's race.

Oh, no! Yet another lengthy story from the blabbermouth's life.

FLUSH

Peeler[_4_] August 7th 20 08:59 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 23:30:17 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Wallace eventually returned to what he had been and I don't think it was
all the born again thing. After the 1958 loss he did

Geezuz Christ! Are we back to 1958 now???

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] August 7th 20 03:11 PM

No mask consequences

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:10:42 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

I wish that were the case here. At least when I was married, a minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid. We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

Cindy Hamilton

Muggles[_28_] August 7th 20 03:38 PM

No mask consequences

On 2020-08-06 20:06, rbowman wrote:
At least the South had signs. In the North black people had to figure
outÂ*whereÂ*theyÂ*weren'tÂ*supposedÂ*toÂ*be.

A black friend of my mother in law said that she preferred
the South as it was all up front and no subterfuge.Â* You
always knew where you stood

I love the South, too. My moms side of the family is all southern, and
my dads side is southern by a hair. He grew up on the south side of the
Mason-Dixon line! haha

--
Maggie

[email protected] August 8th 20 12:45 AM

No mask consequences

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 07:11:40 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:10:42 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

I wish that were the case here. At least when I was married, a minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid. We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

Cindy Hamilton

Any notary can do it in Florida but I doubt they really check on who
calls themselves a minister. The guy who did our ceremony offered but
we didn't have a license at the time. It would have been bigamy
anyway. ;-)

rbowman August 8th 20 02:05 AM

No mask consequences

On 08/07/2020 08:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I wish that were the case here. At least when I was married, a minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid. We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

My wife dug up a female minister but I'm not sure what flavor. She did
have some attachment to reality. We were married in the RPI chapel and
there was a HVAC grate in front of the altar. "If you drop the ring,
just keep on going like nothing happened. We'll dig it out later."

Bod[_3_] August 8th 20 04:13 AM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

Our son got married on St Pete's beach St Petersburg Florida, the pastor
admitted to us that she didn't believe in god. That's why our son and
his fiance chose her.

[email protected] August 8th 20 05:32 AM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

Why bother with a minister then? The accountant at the hotel they were
staying is probably a notary. That was what we did.

Bod[_3_] August 8th 20 05:48 AM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

I think she was recommended. She was a very amusing character. I spoke
to her after the ceremony and we had a great laugh about religion.

Peeler[_4_] August 8th 20 09:29 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 19:05:11 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

My wife dug up

??? Is that one those "progressive" same-sex marriages, lowbrowwoman? Is she
the"male", strong, silent part ...while you are the usual babbling female
gossip?

[email protected] August 8th 20 11:02 AM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

It does sort of remind me of my first wedding. Her parents insisted on
a church wedding and none of us had a church.
The preacher literally asked "Why Me"?
My FIL said "Here's why" and handed him $100.
We ended up taking out vows in some back room but it was technically a
church wedding I guess. I really didn't give a ****.

The funny thing is people may get married in a church but at least
half of them fail and they end up having to go to the government to
get out of it.

Bod[_3_] August 8th 20 11:27 AM

No mask consequences

wrote:

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:10:42 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing.Â* Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the
Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop
has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

I wish that were the case here.Â* At least when I was married, a
minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid.Â* We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

Cindy Hamilton

Any notary can do it in Florida but I doubt they really check on who
calls themselves a minister. The guy who did our ceremony offered but
we didn't have a license at the time. It would have been bigamy
anyway.Â* ;-)

[...]

Anyway, I'd bet that Muggles thinks that marriage is a christian

concept. If she does, she'd be wrong, marriage predates christianity, it
was a Pagan concept.

Bod[_3_] August 8th 20 12:10 PM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

At the risk of upsetting Muggles even further: miracle birth stories
also predate the bible version.

6 Miracle Birth Stories Beyond Jesus

https://www.livescience.com/42187-mi...ond-jesus.html

[email protected] August 8th 20 07:03 PM

No mask consequences

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 11:27:39 +0100, Bod wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You can simply look at the Jewish tradition that predates Christ by
2000 years. That is a group that requires a church divorce. (along
with the Catholics).
These days you probably really need to be a true believer to buy that,
particularly a Jewish woman who is really the one in indenture to the
church. I bet there are plenty of them who say "Get" this MoFo, I am
not living with that weasel one more day".

rbowman August 8th 20 07:37 PM

No mask consequences

On 08/08/2020 04:02 AM, wrote:
The funny thing is people may get married in a church but at least
half of them fail and they end up having to go to the government to
get out of it.

Even with the license and gratuity to Peggy (the minister) it was a hell
of a lot cheaper to get into in than out of it. And that's with a fairly
friendly divorce. Massachusetts in the '70s was great. The acceptable
grounds were adultery, drunkenness, homosexuality, and some other
peaches. We settled on 'cruel and abusive treatment'.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] August 8th 20 08:17 PM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

You made me think of my first husband. He's going for marriage #3,
to a practicing Catholic. Every few months I get a questionnaire
from the Archdiocese of Youngstown asking me questions about our
marriage. We were married for four years and divorced 36 years ago.
I can barely remember it.

They also ask about my religious background. I probably should
have lied and never said I was baptized a Lutheran.

Cindy Hamilton

Peeler[_4_] August 8th 20 08:34 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 12:37:50 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Even with the license and gratuity to Peggy (the minister) it was a hell
of a lot cheaper to get into in than out of it. And that's with a fairly
friendly divorce.

Girl, you need to find a girlfriend that is just as talkative as you are!
;-)

Rod Speed August 8th 20 08:43 PM

No mask consequences

wrote:

[...]

Wrong, as always.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_(divorce_document)

More ignorant bull****.

rbowman August 8th 20 09:40 PM

No mask consequences

On 08/08/2020 12:03 PM, wrote:
You can simply look at the Jewish tradition that predates Christ by
2000 years. That is a group that requires a church divorce. (along
with the Catholics).

A Catholic annulment is not a divorce. It's a decision that there was
some impediment to the marriage so the marriage never was valid.

It is a problem for people who have divorced, remarried, and now want to
get back into the Church, often for the sake of the children. They have
to work up some grounds for an annulment of the first marriage which
isn't easy.

It's not a consideration but oddly if I wanted to become a Catholic in
good standing I'm in better shape according to canon law than many
divorced Catholics. Neither my wife nor I ever remarried so we're not
living in adultery. I confuse people by referring to my wife rather than
my ex, but though I'm not religious I do feel marriage is a one time
deal. She is a practicing Christian and while she never explicitly says
it I think she is relieved.

Peeler[_4_] August 8th 20 09:41 PM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:43:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:

rbowman August 8th 20 09:49 PM

No mask consequences

On 08/08/2020 01:17 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
You made me think of my first husband. He's going for marriage #3,
to a practicing Catholic. Every few months I get a questionnaire
from the Archdiocese of Youngstown asking me questions about our
marriage. We were married for four years and divorced 36 years ago.
I can barely remember it.

Yeah, that's a delicate situation. Technically my father was
excommunicated for marrying my mother who was a divorcee. Luckily by the
late '60s things had loosened up enough that they are both buried in a
Catholic cemetery and it didn't require a suitable donation to the
priest although donations were appreciated.

My family was cynical enough that most kids received a Catholic baptism.
If they wanted to marry a Catholic they were good to go. If not, I don't
think the Prods were as sticky as long it was some sort of Christian
baptism.

Peeler[_4_] August 8th 20 10:19 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 14:49:01 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Oh, ****, will this senile bull**** never end?

Peeler[_4_] August 8th 20 10:20 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 14:40:59 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

A Catholic annulment is not a divorce. It's a decision that there was
some impediment to the marriage so the marriage never was valid.

It is a problem for people who have divorced, remarri

And lowbrowwoman, the endlessly gossiping washerwoman, keeps gossiping and
gossiping and gossiping...

LOL

[email protected] August 8th 20 11:30 PM

No mask consequences

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 12:37:50 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 04:02 AM, wrote:
The funny thing is people may get married in a church but at least
half of them fail and they end up having to go to the government to
get out of it.

Even with the license and gratuity to Peggy (the minister) it was a hell
of a lot cheaper to get into in than out of it. And that's with a fairly
friendly divorce. Massachusetts in the '70s was great. The acceptable
grounds were adultery, drunkenness, homosexuality, and some other
peaches. We settled on 'cruel and abusive treatment'.

When I left my first wife it was a no fault thing (Florida law) and
fairly amicable. Our marriage was all about the money and we cut a
deal we could both agree with and no drama at all. We are still fairly
good friends.

[email protected] August 8th 20 11:33 PM

No mask consequences

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 14:40:59 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 12:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

I understand but if you think the church married you, catholics and
jews think the church has to release them from that marriage or they
just say **** the church I'm out of here.

Frank[_29_] August 9th 20 12:03 AM

No mask consequences

On 8/8/2020 4:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/08/2020 01:17 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
You made me think of my first husband.Â* He's going for marriage #3,
to a practicing Catholic.Â* Every few months I get a questionnaire
from the Archdiocese of Youngstown asking me questions about our
marriage.Â* We were married for four years and divorced 36 years ago.
I can barely remember it.

Yeah, that's a delicate situation. Technically my father was
excommunicated for marrying my mother who was a divorcee. Luckily by the
late '60s things had loosened up enough that they are both buried in a
Catholic cemetery and it didn't require a suitable donation to the
priest although donations were appreciated.

My family was cynical enough that most kids received a Catholic baptism.
If they wanted to marry a Catholic they were good to go. If not, I don't
think the Prods were as sticky as long it was some sort of Christian
baptism.

I may have been excommunicated for marrying in the Greek Orthodox Church
but when our first son was born and we went to the Catholic Church to
get him baptised, they pulled us back into a side chapel and married us
in the Catholic Church.

I was at a rehearsal dinner for a Jewish friends son marrying a Catholic
girl in the Catholic Church and the half drunken priest told me that if
the girl wanted she could divorce the Jewish guy and remarry in the
Church since he was a heathen. Thought that was funny.

My brother got an annulment to get remarried in the Catholic Church even
though he had four kids by his first wife. It took several years and
they called me in to testify and I told them that he was too immature to
be married the first time. Will not give details but he was doing
things you would not expect an engaged person to do.

While all of our sons were baptized in the Catholic Church we did not
burden them with a religious upbringing. They have thanked me for that.

Rod Speed August 9th 20 12:21 AM

No mask consequences

On 08/08/2020 12:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's wrong with the jews.

or they just say **** the church I'm out of here.

rbowman August 9th 20 04:15 AM

No mask consequences

wrote:
The funny thing is people may get married in a church but at least
half of them fail and they end up having to go to the government to
get out of it.

Even with the license and gratuity to Peggy (the minister) it was a hell
of a lot cheaper to get into in than out of it. And that's with a fairly
friendly divorce. Massachusetts in the '70s was great. The acceptable
grounds were adultery, drunkenness, homosexuality, and some other
peaches. We settled on 'cruel and abusive treatment'.

When I left my first wife it was a no fault thing (Florida law) and
fairly amicable. Our marriage was all about the money and we cut a
deal we could both agree with and no drama at all. We are still fairly
good friends.

I think Massachusetts eventually went to a no fault or at least a less
draconian code since then. In the early '70s the state was still showing
its Puritanical roots.

My employer at the time was on the way to bankruptcy and was pocketing
the funds meant for health insurance. My wife is a T1 diabetic and tends
to run up medical bills. The settlement was a lump sum basically to
cover her expenses and was deductible whereas alimony would not have
been. She also got the Audi, which was one of the crueler things I did
to her. She traded it for a Rabbit which at the time was a step up. Audi
is still in business so I assume they have figured out how to build
cars. VW's first attempt at putting the engine and drive train at the
other end of the vehicle had problems.

I don't think either of us were meant to be married. We definitely were
clueless about playing house. Another cruel moment was when the
neighborhood Stepford Wives showed up to welcome us and I slipped out
the back leaving her to fend for herself.