Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No mask consequences

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 19:26:13 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/05/2020 12:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I have mixed feelings about that. One the one hand, I feel people have
the right to be assholes. On the other hand, the situation is similar
to black people, and if we hadn't taken a stand there would still be
"colored" drinking fountains.

I was about 11 when I saw my first colored drinking fountain.
Disappointing. The water wasn't colored, just warm. I don't recall
taking a stand one way or the other.

I never saw it until we took a bus trip across the south, in the 50s,
Oklahoma to Florida and somewhere around the Mississippi line things
changed instantly. I didn't understand why I woke up on the back seat
of the bus surrounded by giggling little black girls. I thought it was
fun until someone dragged me up front. Being from DC, I didn't have a
problem with black girls.

Of course, this comes from someone who does not find homosexuality
unnatural or disgusting.

I don't have a problem with gays, including one of my nephews. I fully
support civil unions with all the legal benefits of marriage. However I
do think a marriage is between a man and a woman, 'man' being defined as
someone born with balls, and 'woman' as someone born without.

That whole problem would be solved if the government got out of the
marriage business. Marriage is a religious ceremony, everything the
government should be involved with is simple contract law and should
be available to any 2 or more consenting adults.
Being in God's waiting room, I can see the advantages to extending
what the government grants to married people, to the "Golden Girls".
(Hospital visitation, survivorship, inheritance, tax breaks etc) if
they are willing to sign the commitment contract.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 2:05:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:10:39 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far

....and the senile gossiping continues... LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:10:42 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

I wish that were the case here. At least when I was married, a minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid. We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 07:11:40 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 11:10:42 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

That's how it is in this state. A friend was a minister in the Church of
the Flying Spaghetti Monster and performed a very nice marriage
ceremony. As far as the state is concerned when you buy the license
you're married; if you don't you're not. An Episcopalian bishop has no
more legal standing than a minister of the FSM.

I wish that were the case here. At least when I was married, a minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid. We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

Cindy Hamilton

Any notary can do it in Florida but I doubt they really check on who
calls themselves a minister. The guy who did our ceremony offered but
we didn't have a license at the time. It would have been bigamy
anyway. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/07/2020 08:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I wish that were the case here. At least when I was married, a minister
or judge had to sign the license in order for it to be valid. We
found a minister who didn't look too closely at our religiosity or
lack thereof.

My wife dug up a female minister but I'm not sure what flavor. She did
have some attachment to reality. We were married in the RPI chapel and
there was a HVAC grate in front of the altar. "If you drop the ring,
just keep on going like nothing happened. We'll dig it out later."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 19:05:11 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

My wife dug up

??? Is that one those "progressive" same-sex marriages, lowbrowwoman? Is she
the"male", strong, silent part ...while you are the usual babbling female
gossip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/06/2020 02:14 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Only if the religious ceremony conferred no legal standing. Let's
get the various churches out of the legal business.

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/ordination/

You too can be an ordained minister...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:12:50 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/ordination/

You too can be an ordained minister...

I suppose ANY blabbermouth can be. You'd be perfect for the job,
lowbrowwoman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 13:14:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

In Florida the church service has absolutely zero force of law. The
only dispensation is a preacher is one of about a half dozen classes
of people who can witness the signatures on the marriage license and
then it has to be filed with the clerk of court, just like 100 other
types of document.
We had a ceremony on the beach with some old friend of ours presiding
who had no affiliation with anyone but he put on a good show and made
the parents happy. Then at a later date we pulled the "permit" and had
the office manager at Hawk's Cay in the Keys notarized it with all the
ceremony of swapping the title on a 96 Corolla. My wife didn't file it
right away, she said I was on probation.