Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No mask consequences

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 21:15:09 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 04:30 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 12:37:50 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2020 04:02 AM,
wrote:
The funny thing is people may get married in a church but at least
half of them fail and they end up having to go to the government to
get out of it.

Even with the license and gratuity to Peggy (the minister) it was a hell
of a lot cheaper to get into in than out of it. And that's with a fairly
friendly divorce. Massachusetts in the '70s was great. The acceptable
grounds were adultery, drunkenness, homosexuality, and some other
peaches. We settled on 'cruel and abusive treatment'.

When I left my first wife it was a no fault thing (Florida law) and
fairly amicable. Our marriage was all about the money and we cut a
deal we could both agree with and no drama at all. We are still fairly
good friends.

I think Massachusetts eventually went to a no fault or at least a less
draconian code since then. In the early '70s the state was still showing
its Puritanical roots.

My employer at the time was on the way to bankruptcy and was pocketing
the funds meant for health insurance. My wife is a T1 diabetic and tends
to run up medical bills. The settlement was a lump sum basically to
cover her expenses and was deductible whereas alimony would not have
been. She also got the Audi, which was one of the crueler things I did
to her. She traded it for a Rabbit which at the time was a step up. Audi
is still in business so I assume they have figured out how to build
cars. VW's first attempt at putting the engine and drive train at the
other end of the vehicle had problems.

I don't think either of us were meant to be married. We definitely were
clueless about playing house. Another cruel moment was when the
neighborhood Stepford Wives showed up to welcome us and I slipped out
the back leaving her to fend for herself.

I was going to Florida, stay or go with me. She stayed I went.
We were staying together for the house. I left it for her and I took a
big bag of money, my tools and my clothes. (A van, a trailer and what
fit in my Firebird). I was overweight crossing the Florida state line
on the Uhaul trailer a little but they let me put a couple of tool
boxes in the front of the van and sent me on my way.
It turned out I didn't need to go through the chicken coop in the
first place but I was there and they had to do something I guess.
It seemed pretty silly to me since my GVW did not change.