Old August 2nd 20, 06:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Old August 2nd 20, 07:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

There are places that take them. Check with your local recycle company,
industrial electric suppliers and the like. There may be some state
resource center you can call.

Looks like Battery Plus stores will take them too
https://safety.lovetoknow.com/househ...t-tubes-safely

I've known people to just smash them and put them in the trash but have
no idea what the potential penalty would be if caught.

Old August 2nd 20, 07:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Local school, library, factory, store, office that still uses them?
Old August 2nd 20, 07:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/20 12:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Amazon has recycle kits.
Old August 2nd 20, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter, T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Walmart recycles them.* Just place in a shopping cart and leave in the parking lot cart corral.

Old August 3rd 20, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 13:55:15 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Take them to a county haz mat place or call around to the HOA site
managers. Some of them are still clinging to T12 fixtures
(Par 38s too)
Most industrial places have switched over to a 21st century style.
Old August 3rd 20, 01:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Lowes took mine.
Old August 3rd 20, 06:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 10:55:21 AM UTC-7, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?
Old August 3rd 20, 01:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:15:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

I tried an experiment, wrapped one in clear mailing tape and broke it with a hammer, figuring I'd put the glass pieces in the trash.

You have to hit them surprisingly hard, and when they pop the glass ignores the tape and you spend the next half hour picking it out of the grass.

Home Depot takes back CFLs but didn't want the tubes even though they sell them but Lowes took the rest of them.

Old August 3rd 20, 01:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/20 8:41 PM, TimR wrote:
Lowes took mine.

Thx, I called my local one and they do too!