DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/678314-t-12-4-ft-fluorescent-tube-disposal.html)

Wade Garrett August 2nd 20 06:55 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] August 2nd 20 07:26 PM

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

There are places that take them. Check with your local recycle company,
industrial electric suppliers and the like. There may be some state
resource center you can call.

Looks like Battery Plus stores will take them too
https://safety.lovetoknow.com/househ...t-tubes-safely

I've known people to just smash them and put them in the trash but have
no idea what the potential penalty would be if caught.

Peter[_36_] August 2nd 20 07:29 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Local school, library, factory, store, office that still uses them?

Dean Hoffman[_12_] August 2nd 20 07:30 PM

On 8/2/20 12:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Amazon has recycle kits.

Doug McMillon August 2nd 20 09:38 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter, T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Walmart recycles them.Â* Just place in a shopping cart and leave in the parking lot cart corral.

[email protected] August 3rd 20 12:27 AM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 13:55:15 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Take them to a county haz mat place or call around to the HOA site
managers. Some of them are still clinging to T12 fixtures
(Par 38s too)
Most industrial places have switched over to a 21st century style.

TimR[_2_] August 3rd 20 01:41 AM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

Lowes took mine.

[email protected] August 3rd 20 06:15 AM

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 10:55:21 AM UTC-7, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

TimR[_2_] August 3rd 20 01:24 PM

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:15:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

I tried an experiment, wrapped one in clear mailing tape and broke it with a hammer, figuring I'd put the glass pieces in the trash.

You have to hit them surprisingly hard, and when they pop the glass ignores the tape and you spend the next half hour picking it out of the grass.

Home Depot takes back CFLs but didn't want the tubes even though they sell them but Lowes took the rest of them.

Wade Garrett August 3rd 20 01:44 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 8/2/20 8:41 PM, TimR wrote:
Lowes took mine.

Thx, I called my local one and they do too!

Wade Garrett August 3rd 20 01:44 PM

On 8/2/20 2:30 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/2/20 12:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half
diameter, T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am
looking to get rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers
or my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Â*Â*Â*Â* Amazon has recycle kits.

for $45!!

Wade Garrett August 3rd 20 01:46 PM

On 8/2/20 4:38 PM, Doug McMillon wrote:
On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half
diameter, T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am
looking to get rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers
or my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

Walmart recycles them.Â* Just place in a shopping cart and leave in the
parking lot cart corral.

My Walmart is out of carts so I'll drop them off at the store near your
house instead ;-)

Frank[_29_] August 3rd 20 01:47 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 8/2/2020 1:55 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

My wife has been taking stuff to Staples. She even gave them an old mixer.

Wade Garrett August 3rd 20 01:51 PM

On 8/3/20 1:15 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 10:55:21 AM UTC-7, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

Nothing on their website and it's at least a half hour to 45 minutes on
hold if you call them.

They started out as a Mom and Pop operation and things were fine for
years but they've been acquired several times. Currently owned by some
Canadian mega waste disposal company. The phone wait times increased
with each acquisition!

trader_4 August 3rd 20 02:05 PM

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 1:55:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Are they new? Put them up on Craigslist for free and/or Ebay for $1 for
local pickup. If they are used, hard to imagine there are states today
that don't have an info website that will direct you to disposal.

[email protected] August 3rd 20 02:21 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 08:51:41 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 8/3/20 1:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

Sometimes you need to drill into several web pages to find it ...
Our municipality contracts curbside houshold garbage & recycling
to Bluewater Recycling - but they do not do hazardous waste -
so ... we have specified days to bring our household haz-waste
to a neighbouring town's collection site.

https://www.stratford.ca/en/live-her...S1wUgCWyi4I9TY

John T.

rbowman August 3rd 20 02:55 PM

On 08/03/2020 06:24 AM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:15:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

I tried an experiment, wrapped one in clear mailing tape and broke it with a hammer, figuring I'd put the glass pieces in the trash.

You have to hit them surprisingly hard, and when they pop the glass ignores the tape and you spend the next half hour picking it out of the grass.

Back in the '70s we subcontracted several projects involving
fluorescents, including the 4' tubes and 2' grow lights. When your
dealing in thousands of tubes you get about 5% that won't light. They'd
get thrown in the dumpster and not gently. Very few ever broke and that
was if they hit the edge of the dumpster on the way down.

The tubes came in cardboard boxes, stacked together with no spacers.
Inevitably boxes would get dropped unloading them from the truck or
moving them around the shop and I don't remember any breaking.

Peeler[_4_] August 3rd 20 03:22 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 07:55:15 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Back in the '70s we

Oh, no! Not yet again! Can't you talk about it to your inmates in the old
people's home, lowbrowwoman?

[email protected] August 3rd 20 07:00 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 8/2/20 8:41 PM, TimR wrote:
Lowes took mine.

I never knew they and Walmart did that.

trader_4 August 3rd 20 09:17 PM

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 2:00:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 8/2/20 8:41 PM, TimR wrote:
Lowes took mine.

I never knew they and Walmart did that.

Yeah, no problem, they just throw them in the woods out back. :)

[email protected] August 3rd 20 10:03 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

I guess that's better than the sword fighting way.

[email protected] August 3rd 20 10:15 PM

TimR wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:15:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

I tried an experiment, wrapped one in clear mailing tape and broke it with a hammer, figuring I'd put the glass pieces in the trash.

You have to hit them surprisingly hard, and when they pop the glass ignores the tape and you spend the next half hour picking it out of the grass.

Home Depot takes back CFLs but didn't want the tubes even though they sell them but Lowes took the rest of them.

Right next to the bay where they sell new tubes, HD have a cover in
plastic with one removable end cap. Its slightly bigger in diameter
than the tube. You take off the removable end, slide the old tube in,
replace the removable cap, put it over a garbage bin, hit the cover
with a hammer, the tube shatters, take off the removable end, and
finally pour the (by now tiny) shards of class into the bin. There
seems to be a little smoke or maybe dust. You could put on a hazmat
suit and a respirator if you're a real wuss. The garbage bin empties
into a black bag which is compacted by the garbage truck together with
hundreds of other peoples' garbage and goes (guess) to a landfill in
some flyover state.

https://www.avg.com

Bob F August 4th 20 12:44 AM

On 8/2/2020 10:55 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got about a dozen of the old style 4 ft long, inch and a half diameter,
T-12, 40 watt fluorescent tubes that I don't need and am looking to get
rid of. Some new, some used, all work fine.

Neighbors don't want them- nor do the local charity donation centers or
my trash pickup company.

Ideas?

I take them to my city HAZ Waste site.

[email protected] August 4th 20 02:49 AM

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 17:15:28 -0400, wrote:

TimR wrote:

[...]

Compared to the haz mat that ends up in the trash, the tiny amount of
mercury in a F-12 is not going to make much difference. Landfills are
lined these days so stuff like this doesn't leach into the ground
water.

TimR[_2_] August 4th 20 01:21 PM

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 5:15:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Right next to the bay where they sell new tubes, HD have a cover in
plastic with one removable end cap. Its slightly bigger in diameter
than the tube. You take off the removable end, slide the old tube in,
replace the removable cap, put it over a garbage bin, hit the cover
with a hammer, the tube shatters, take off the removable end, and
finally pour the (by now tiny) shards of class into the bin. There
seems to be a little smoke or maybe dust. You could put on a hazmat
suit and a respirator if you're a real wuss. The garbage bin empties
into a black bag which is compacted by the garbage truck together with
hundreds of other peoples' garbage and goes (guess) to a landfill in
some flyover state.

I've heard of that, but.............have you actually tried it?

Scott Lurndal August 4th 20 04:13 PM

wrote:

TimR wrote:

[...]

Multiply by thousands of TxxFy bulbs and you're talking
real hazards.

Landfills are
lined these days so stuff like this doesn't leach into the ground
water.

Please don't assume this, because it is not a correct statement.

Besides, it's a violation of the law in many localities to improperly
dispose of hazardous waste.

[email protected] August 5th 20 02:24 AM

TimR wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 5:15:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Right next to the bay where they sell new tubes, HD have a cover in
plastic with one removable end cap. Its slightly bigger in diameter
than the tube. You take off the removable end, slide the old tube in,
replace the removable cap, put it over a garbage bin, hit the cover
with a hammer, the tube shatters, take off the removable end, and
finally pour the (by now tiny) shards of class into the bin. There
seems to be a little smoke or maybe dust. You could put on a hazmat
suit and a respirator if you're a real wuss. The garbage bin empties
into a black bag which is compacted by the garbage truck together with
hundreds of other peoples' garbage and goes (guess) to a landfill in
some flyover state.

I've heard of that, but.............have you actually tried it?

Of course. I was actually surprised at the question arising. I thought
everybody did it that way. Many years ago I was disposing of tubes by
taking a batch of them to the garbage truck (not in a bag) and the
garbage guy told me that the problem was that they might shatter in
their face but if I wanted to put them in the truck go ahead. Well
that's a real risk so the next time I had a bunch I looked around for
a solution, hence the cover.

I had a similar reaction to dumping out a batch of old paint cans
containing paint residue. He said just put them in black bags and seal
them up.

Similar for batteries (not lead acid). I actually carried some to the
recycling bin at Lowes (or HD). My batteries were the only ones in the
box. I kept an eye out and I NEVER saw anyone else put anything in the
boxes.

https://www.avg.com

rbowman August 5th 20 03:57 AM

On 08/04/2020 07:24 PM, wrote:
Similar for batteries (not lead acid). I actually carried some to the
recycling bin at Lowes (or HD). My batteries were the only ones in the
box. I kept an eye out and I NEVER saw anyone else put anything in the
boxes

I bought a battery for the Mifi last year. iirc, the new battery was $29
and he wanted $20 to recycle the old one. Un-hunh...

I dropped a lead acid off at the recyclers and was pleasantly surprised
when they gave me money instead of vice versa. There's money in them.
When i was trucking I hauled more than one load of dead batteries from
Denver to LA. The reasoning escapes me but I never argued. Leaking junk
batteries are not HazMat so you can go through the tunnel. Pristine new
batteries are so you have to go over the mountain goat trail.

[email protected] August 5th 20 04:48 AM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 05:21:09 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 5:15:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Right next to the bay where they sell new tubes, HD have a cover in
plastic with one removable end cap. Its slightly bigger in diameter
than the tube. You take off the removable end, slide the old tube in,
replace the removable cap, put it over a garbage bin, hit the cover
with a hammer, the tube shatters, take off the removable end, and
finally pour the (by now tiny) shards of class into the bin. There
seems to be a little smoke or maybe dust. You could put on a hazmat
suit and a respirator if you're a real wuss. The garbage bin empties
into a black bag which is compacted by the garbage truck together with
hundreds of other peoples' garbage and goes (guess) to a landfill in
some flyover state.

I've heard of that, but.............have you actually tried it?

I put them in an empty 30 gallon can and break the bottom off with a
2x4 about 6 feet long (a rake or whatever I have handy) with the top
on sitting on the other end..
The rest falls in the can.

[email protected] August 5th 20 04:54 AM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

wrote:

TimR wrote:

[...]

That is far from the largest source of mercury and I am not disposing
of "Thousands" of these things. It is more like 2 every couple of
years. I get rid of a lot more batteries and they tell us to just put
them in the trash. When I had a way of getting them to a haz mat
place, like when my wife was running a big HOA, I put them with the
hazmat. I just think driving my car 50 miles to and from the haz mat
place might be worse for the environment than a milligram or two of
mercury in the landfill.

rbowman August 5th 20 06:18 AM

On 08/04/2020 09:54 PM, wrote:
That is far from the largest source of mercury and I am not disposing
of "Thousands" of these things. It is more like 2 every couple of
years. I get rid of a lot more batteries and they tell us to just put
them in the trash. When I had a way of getting them to a haz mat
place, like when my wife was running a big HOA, I put them with the
hazmat. I just think driving my car 50 miles to and from the haz mat
place might be worse for the environment than a milligram or two of
mercury in the landfill.

In this area a little mercury in a landfill is small potatoes compared
to the problems caused by copper, gold, and asbestos mines. Fish &
Wildlife advise you not to eat pike out of the Clark Fork but that goes
back to the mines at Butte 100 years ago.

Peeler[_4_] August 5th 20 09:39 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 23:18:24 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

In this area a little mercury in a landfill is small potatoes compared
to the problems caused by copper, gold, and asbestos mines. Fish &
Wildlife advise you not to eat pike out of the Clark Fork but that goes
back to the mines at Butte 100 years ago.

100 years ago? Those were real hard times for senile blabbermouths like you
back then, without any Internet, eh? LOL

Peeler[_4_] August 5th 20 09:45 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 20:57:08 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I dropped a lead acid off at the recyclers and was pleasantly surprised
when they gave me money instead of vice versa. There's money in them.
When i was trucking I hauled more than one load of dead batteries from
Denver to LA. The reasoning escapes me but I never argued. Leaking junk

"Leaking junk"? LOL I instantly thought that's the perfect term for an old
babbling geezer like you!

Scott Lurndal August 5th 20 06:11 PM

T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

writes:
On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 15:13:21 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

wrote:

TimR wrote:

[...]

Of course, it's all about you. How many other people live in the
country that take your advice?

It adds up.

It is more like 2 every couple of
years. I get rid of a lot more batteries and they tell us to just put
them in the trash. When I had a way of getting them to a haz mat
place, like when my wife was running a big HOA, I put them with the

As pointed out most hardware stores (ACE, HD, Lowes) will take them.