Mark

Default Fluorescent light tube starter

About to change the starter in a fluorecent light fitting which has a 6
foot 75-85W tube.. Maplins sell 2 types of starters (65W & 125W). I
wasn't sure which to get but the assistant said the 125W is the one
fitted with 6 and 8 foot tubes. They're pretty cheap so I bought both
types anyway.

I tried the 125W starter but the light takes a good 15 to 20 seconds
before it even flickers and comes on. I then tried the 65W starter and
it works fine and comes on instantly. Is it ok to stick with the 65W?

BigWallop

"Mark" wrote in message
About to change the starter in a fluorecent light fitting which has a 6
foot 75-85W tube.. Maplins sell 2 types of starters (65W & 125W). I
wasn't sure which to get but the assistant said the 125W is the one
fitted with 6 and 8 foot tubes. They're pretty cheap so I bought both
types anyway.

I tried the 125W starter but the light takes a good 15 to 20 seconds
before it even flickers and comes on. I then tried the 65W starter and
it works fine and comes on instantly. Is it ok to stick with the 65W?

Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt starter is
only faster because you've over loading it.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BillR

BigWallop wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
About to change the starter in a fluorecent light fitting which has
a 6 foot 75-85W tube.. Maplins sell 2 types of starters (65W &
125W). I wasn't sure which to get but the assistant said the 125W
is the one fitted with 6 and 8 foot tubes. They're pretty cheap so
I bought both types anyway.

I tried the 125W starter but the light takes a good 15 to 20 seconds
before it even flickers and comes on. I then tried the 65W starter
and it works fine and comes on instantly. Is it ok to stick with
the 65W?

Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt
starter is only faster because you've over loading it.

Sounds like that to me too.
Surely one can fit higher rated starters to lower rated lamps?
Could be there's a problem with the 125W rated starter or lamp.

Mark

"BillR" wrote in message
Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt
starter is only faster because you've over loading it.

Sounds like that to me too.
Surely one can fit higher rated starters to lower rated lamps?
Could be there's a problem with the 125W rated starter or lamp.

I've just had a quick look on the web and see you can buy a starter
rated between 4 to 80w which is probably the one I need.

fred

In article , Mark
writes
"BillR" wrote in message
Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt
starter is only faster because you've over loading it.

Sounds like that to me too.
Surely one can fit higher rated starters to lower rated lamps?
Could be there's a problem with the 125W rated starter or lamp.

I've just had a quick look on the web and see you can buy a starter
rated between 4 to 80w which is probably the one I need.

If you are concerned about flickering/delay then Maplin do an electronic
one which will start faster, without flickering and has a rating span of
30-125W. Costs about a fiver.
--
fred

Mark

"fred" wrote in message news
In article , Mark
writes
"BillR" wrote in message
Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt
starter is only faster because you've over loading it.

Sounds like that to me too.
Surely one can fit higher rated starters to lower rated lamps?
Could be there's a problem with the 125W rated starter or lamp.

I've just had a quick look on the web and see you can buy a starter
rated between 4 to 80w which is probably the one I need.

If you are concerned about flickering/delay then Maplin do an

electronic
one which will start faster, without flickering and has a rating span

of
30-125W. Costs about a fiver.

Sorted it now. I also have a smaller 38w tube light fitting and that was
fitted with a 4W - 80W starter. I put the new 65w starter in that and
used the 80w starter in the 75w light fitting. Everything's working fine

N. Thornton

"Mark" wrote in message ...

Sorted it now. I also have a smaller 38w tube light fitting and that was
fitted with a 4W - 80W starter. I put the new 65w starter in that and
used the 80w starter in the 75w light fitting. Everything's working fine

Hi. Using a 65w starter in an 80w fitting works fine. The implications
are concerning guarantees, legal obligations etc, but functionally
they're quite happy.

Regards, NT

Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM
Light Switch Advise Chris Spyrou UK diy 10 October 10th 03 06:02 PM
fluorescent tube still flickering p cooper UK diy 6 October 2nd 03 08:09 PM
Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 11:56 AM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM