Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default T-12 4 ft Fluorescent Tube Disposal

TimR wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:15:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Your Trash Pickup service can't tell you where?

I tried an experiment, wrapped one in clear mailing tape and broke it with a hammer, figuring I'd put the glass pieces in the trash.

You have to hit them surprisingly hard, and when they pop the glass ignores the tape and you spend the next half hour picking it out of the grass.

Home Depot takes back CFLs but didn't want the tubes even though they sell them but Lowes took the rest of them.

Right next to the bay where they sell new tubes, HD have a cover in
plastic with one removable end cap. Its slightly bigger in diameter
than the tube. You take off the removable end, slide the old tube in,
replace the removable cap, put it over a garbage bin, hit the cover
with a hammer, the tube shatters, take off the removable end, and
finally pour the (by now tiny) shards of class into the bin. There
seems to be a little smoke or maybe dust. You could put on a hazmat
suit and a respirator if you're a real wuss. The garbage bin empties
into a black bag which is compacted by the garbage truck together with
hundreds of other peoples' garbage and goes (guess) to a landfill in
some flyover state.

https://www.avg.com