Old July 30th 20, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default liquid tight connector to pvc conduit

On 7/29/2020 8:26 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I don't see a heat-gun on Harbor site for $10, I do see 1 for $15 by Warrior ? Menards has a gun for $20 by WEN that comes with a case.
Menards and HD also carry 3/4" AFC metallic cable w/O.D. of 1" that could be shoved down the middle to help the 1-1/4" PVC hold its shape during bending ?
In one of the U-Tube videos on PVC-bending the author stated that one of the best features to look for in heat-gun is the ability to stand-up on its back, leaving you both hands to hold your work. (Hard to tell if the WEN or Warrior will do that from the pics on-line)

Project:
40 years ago, when our Antenna tower was erected, the contractor took a short-cut, at about 9' AGL he strung the wires straight across to the the house from the antenna tower. The antenna tower is about 10' feet from the house, and the sidewalk for the side entrance to the house (the one everyone uses) runs underneath it.

I want to take the eyesore down and run the wires directly to the ground and bury them and run them to a discreet location for entrance to the house.
So right now, 3 wires: 14-2 to power the dusk-to-dawn security light, Coax for the antenna, and multi-pair for the rotor. I can direct-bury the 14-2, but the other two I don't want to in case I need to replace them and/or add another.

Why can't you use standard PVC conduit 90 degree bends wide bends?

Old July 30th 20, 06:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:26:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

They usually have a coupon that gets you that gun for around $10 in a
"everything has to go" sale.

If you are running a conduit for low voltage, spend the extra money
and put in at least 3/4" and 1" is better if you are pulling the
connectors too. Normal low voltage wire is a regular PVC jacket that
doesn't have the slick cover like THHN and it doesn't pull all that
easy. Use plenty of lube. (Yellow 77 or something similar, not dish
soap or WD40)
Old July 30th 20, 11:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Aren't there requirements for keeping the low voltage separate
from the wiring to power the lights? It sounds like that's what he
intends to do.

Old July 30th 20, 01:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

How many custom bends do you need to make for this small project? If it's
just a couple, like I said, I've heated PVC over a gas stove burner.
Gas grill? Or you could use a propane torch. Experiment on a scrap piece.

Old July 30th 20, 02:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Custom Bends: about 8 (and that's before I start digging !)

Old July 30th 20, 09:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2020 9:28 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/30/2020 8:55 AM, wrote:

Custom Bends: about 8* (and that's before I start digging !)

You'll never get it pulled, then, unless you can run sections at a time.
*Remember the Code 360 rule. That applies to the power run.

While it's not Code, it is very common for industrial specs (like phone
and optical) to enforce a 180 rule as even more restrictive given the
less forgiving nature of the conductors and that the cable is as
somebody else already pointed out, harder to pull.

GEEZER STORY ALERT/

We had to pull coax for the coal analyzer detector head -- a NaI(Tl)
scintillation counter. In the days before vendors developed integral
electronics it required both a HV (1200 VDC) bias supply and a second
signal cable for the preamp input to the multichannel analyzer. We
would have customer pull at least two pair if not three for at least one
spare.

At one site, the analyzer on the coal belt had to be across large drive
area back to the office where the monitor equipment rack was located.
It was roughly 100 yds across and had to be buried deep enough large
equipment typical of mine wouldn't crush. They ran 3" plastic conduit
for the pull.

But, they weren't able to pull it by hand -- being miners, they did the
obvious--tied it to the nearest frontend loader and had no problem at
all in pulling it.

We weren't on site for the prep work; when went for final install of the
sources and startup/calibration, all seemed fine. Left it operational
and went home (mine in middle E-KY, office in E TN about 3 hours drive
thru the mountains). Lasted until first rain and lost HV. Had them try
the spare -- it worked and were back on line. That lasted about a week
until next rainy spell. They had only pulled two, so that was the end
of it until figure out what happened.

Service call proved was dead short on both HV cables and one of the
signal cables and the second signal cable was degraded.

They were unable to pull the existing cables back out; dug up the near
end to the shack down to the elbow (about 3 ft). They had pulled so
hard/fast with the endloader had melted thru the conduit and welded the
cable in place...had to re-run the whole installation...this time made
sure they did it so the cable could be pulled...

The new cables lasted the 7-8 more years I was still in TN...it's now
been another 20 almost since...now idea if the mine is still
operational, even.

Old July 31st 20, 11:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He said he was going to bury the power and put the signal wires in conduit.

Old July 31st 20, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2020 5:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Even a hot hair dryer might do it.

Old August 1st 20, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If your area’s building codes are that similar to the NEC, yes. Stuff like 120v low voltage phase A is black, B is red and the 3rd phase is blue. 277v Lighting voltage is phase A Brown, B orange and C yellow. Fingernail polish or tape of those colors is allowed when the wire isn’t showing.