Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UK couple win bid to name son Lucifer

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 04:40:20 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/07/2020 20:50, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/22/2020 12:59 PM, Bod wrote:
On 22/07/2020 17:56, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/22/2020 12:48 PM, Bod wrote:
On 22/07/2020 17:40, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10:42:30 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
On 22/07/2020 15:18, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 9:57:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up.* No matter what the
parents
say, the negative will always be there.* Perception is everything.

Yeah.* When he gets to be about 13 years old, he's either going
to be
a very fast runner or a very good fighter.

Cindy Hamilton

Nah, this isn't America. Most of us aren't religious.

In my experience, 13-year-old boys will take any excuse to put a
beatdown
on one of their classmates.* An unusual name suffices.

Cindy Hamilton

Most 13 year old boys are given mickey taking nicknames.
You can imagine what names my son* Belinda was called.

Perfect reason not to give a name like that to a child knowing they
may get some ridicule.** Even though Lucifer will mostly be called
"Lou", it is still on school records, driver license, and will be
known to others to pick on.
*
Blimey, are you Americans that sensitive that you can't take a bit of
ribbing.

Years ago we had a neighbor with 6 kids. The one younger one, Joey, was
often called Lucifer by others on the street and for good reason.

Most kids here probably wouldn't even associate it with a devil.
I don't know anyone who goes to a church. My parents weren't religious
nor any of my grandparents.
Where you have churches everywhere, we have pubs :-)

I think you guys are onto something there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2020 12:49 PM, notX wrote:
On 7/22/20 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

€œI tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means €˜light-bringer and €˜morning but she wouldnt listen.€

It tells you something about religion, that religious people have chosen
THAT as something really bad.

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 15:13:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/23/2020 12:49 PM, notX wrote:
On 7/22/20 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

€œI tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means €˜light-bringer and €˜morning but she wouldnt listen.€

It tells you something about religion, that religious people have chosen
THAT as something really bad.

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Two of my nieces are Debbie & Christy (Not Debra or Christine). They
had problems with teachers who could not get their head around that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/23/2020 01:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/23/2020 12:49 PM, notX wrote:
On 7/22/20 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

€œI tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means €˜light-bringer and €˜morning but she wouldnt listen.€

It tells you something about religion, that religious people have
chosen THAT as something really bad.

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

That must be a real burden for some black people. I never have figured
out if it is an exercise of creativity or lack of spelling skills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24/07/2020 07:14, wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 06:25:58 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 24/07/2020 00:21,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 15:13:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/23/2020 12:49 PM, notX wrote:
On 7/22/20 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

€œI tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means €˜light-bringer and €˜morning but she wouldnt listen.€

It tells you something about religion, that religious people have chosen
THAT as something really bad.

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Two of my nieces are Debbie & Christy (Not Debra or Christine). They
had problems with teachers who could not get their head around that.

There's a few ways of spelling Deborah..... and Debra is one of them.
I don't see what the big deal is. How often does one need to spell out
ones name.....answer= very few times.

It was a problem every year in the public system until they got old
enough to convince the school system that was their real name.

If I was told how to spell a persons name of a person that I saw
regularly, I'm pretty confident that I'd only need telling once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

insert "public school system" joke here
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Man created God in his own image.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/24/2020 1:23 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn,
that person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to
spell it correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

So he spelled is a "Lawyd"
I get enoyed when peepull miss pell simple wurds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 24 Jul 2020 12:23:21 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

I['m convinced there 3 common spellings for Malcomn, but maybe there
are only two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

I['m convinced there 3 common spellings for Malcomn, but maybe there
are only two.

I'm in the middle.

I'm probably telling a joke for an audience of one - me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

I['m convinced there 3 common spellings for Malcomn, but maybe there
are only two.

I'm in the middle.

I'm probably telling a joke for an audience of one - me.

Nah, it only about 20 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn, that
person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to spell it
correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

My FIL has the same problem. His first name is Lloyd. I just had to
tune up a girl at CVS a couple days ago when she couldn't find him in
the computer. I did get a compliment about how good I looked at 92 tho
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/24/2020 11:23 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 7/23/20 2:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Its not just religion, parents make their kid's live difficult because
they want to be cute.
Most everyone knows how to spell Karen but when you spell it Karyn,
that person will spend the rest of their life telling people how to
spell it correctly.

Most people who hear my name think there is only one 'l'. I've even
heard one who thought there was a 'w' in there (I forget where).

https://welearnwelsh.com/blog/how-to...e-ll-in-welsh/

Just be happy they don't go for the voiceless alveolar lateral
fricative. Or maybe the Spanish 'yoyd'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:19:42 +0100, Bod
wrote:

On 23/07/2020 07:10, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 06:35:08 +0100, Bod
wrote:

Most kids here probably wouldn't even associate it with a devil.

I think you should ask a bunch instead of guessing. I would hate to
think that British kids are so ignorant of the English language.

I don't know anyone who goes to a church. My parents weren't religious
nor any of my grandparents.

As I said before, it doesn't matter. Educated people, even moderately
educated children normally know lots of things that have some
relationship to religion without them themselves being religious.

Do you think UK kids have heard of the 10 Commandments? Mt. Sinai. The
birth of Jesus in Bethlehem?

Do you think people have to be British to have heard of the Thames
River, or the Tower of London, or Big Ben, or Buckingham Palace?

Do t hey know about Roman chariot races or gladiator fights? Do they
have to be Roman to know that?

So why would htey have to be religious to know what Lucifer means?

Where you have churches everywhere, we have pubs :-)

I never knew anything about the bible so I bought one and read it to
learn. Plenty of good salacious horror stories in there (if you like
that kind of thing).
I even tried going to a church for a while. I also joined a choir, but
only because I liked singing. I liked the atmosphere though, but it was
mostly boring.
I'd heard about a devil and a satan, but hadn't heard the word Lucifer
before.

So you're just generalizing from yourself. One person.

You have to understand that it's very different over here.

You have to understand that not everyone is like you. You shouldn't
have even said it in the first place, since you knew you were
generalizing from yourself alone.

So we don't know anything about what other Brits know.

UK secularism on rise as more than half say they have no
10 Jul 2019 - The growth of secularism in the UK is unabated with fresh
data showing stark generational differences and a new confidence among
the non-religious to declare themselves atheist. Only 1% of people aged
18-24 identify as Church of England, according to the British Social
Attitudes (BSA) survey for 2018.

So are you saying that Brits are so stupid they don't know about
anything they're not directly interested in?

The question was not about how religious Brits are -- you're just
repeating yourself. It was about how many knew what Lucifer referred
to.

The way to find out is to ask people. You do know some people, don't
you?

Not to give a monologue on an irrelevancy. Do y ou think if people
don't like peanuts they won't know that some people are allergic to
them? Or if they eat peanuts they won't know that? Or if they don't
speak French they won't know a single word of French. I hope that's not
true of Brits but even if it is, it's no more relevant than how many are
atheists.

And if I knew you, I certainly woudln't tell you that I believed in God
or that I belonged to some religion. Bear that in mind when you make
more nasty remarks in front of people you know.