Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UK couple win bid to name son Lucifer

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

We were really excited to go and get him registered but the woman
looked at us in utter disgust, Mr Sheldon said.

She told us he would never be able to get a job, and that teachers
wouldnt want to teach him.

I tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means light-bringer and morning but she wouldnt listen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 9:57:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

Yeah. When he gets to be about 13 years old, he's either going to be
a very fast runner or a very good fighter.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

Yeah. When he gets to be about 13 years old, he's either going to be
a very fast runner or a very good fighter.

Cindy Hamilton

Nah, this isn't America. Most of us aren't religious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:57:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

The idea that the government has to appreove names is looked on as
authoritarian or worse in the USA. And by me.

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

It's not nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

But you're right.

We were really excited to go and get him registered but the woman
looked at us in utter disgust, Mr Sheldon said.

She told us he would never be able to get a job, and that teachers
wouldnt want to teach him.

Good advice, although he can still use another name for most purposes.

I tried to explain that we are not religious people,

Which really has nothing to do with it.

and Lucifer in
Greek means light-bringer and morning but she wouldnt listen.

That's right. I looked this up or maybe just came across something a
few years ago and originally it was either the word Lucifer or the
original Hebrew that it translates that had no negative meaning. It was
"light bearer" and referred to the morning "star", the planet Venus.
The "morning star" because it is often the bightest thing in the sky
shortly after dawn and before dark.

But despite all that, in English, Lucifer means "the Devil".

Well, wikip has more info than I remember reading, and apparently even
the planet Venus had negative connotations to some Europeans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Actually, In the book of Isaiah 14:12, the whole thing was a metaphor
for the king of Babylonia, a real, live (at the time) human being.
IIUC with some faults but a pretty good person altogeher and nowhere
near as bad as "the Devil".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

"light bearer" and referred to the morning "star", the planet Venus.
The "morning star" because it is often the bightest thing in the sky
shortly after dawn and before dark.

But despite all that, in English, Lucifer means "the Devil".

Well, wikip has more info than I remember reading, and apparently even
the planet Venus had negative connotations to some Europeans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

Yeah. When he gets to be about 13 years old, he's either going to be
a very fast runner or a very good fighter.

Cindy Hamilton

Nah, this isn't America. Most of us aren't religious.

In my experience, 13-year-old boys will take any excuse to put a beatdown
on one of their classmates. An unusual name suffices.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

Yeah. When he gets to be about 13 years old, he's either going to be
a very fast runner or a very good fighter.

Cindy Hamilton

Nah, this isn't America. Most of us aren't religious.

In my experience, 13-year-old boys will take any excuse to put a beatdown
on one of their classmates. An unusual name suffices.

Cindy Hamilton

Most 13 year old boys are given mickey taking nicknames.
You can imagine what names my son Belinda was called.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up.* No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there.* Perception is everything.

Yeah.* When he gets to be about 13 years old, he's either going to be
a very fast runner or a very good fighter.

Cindy Hamilton

Nah, this isn't America. Most of us aren't religious.

In my experience, 13-year-old boys will take any excuse to put a beatdown
on one of their classmates.* An unusual name suffices.

Cindy Hamilton

Most 13 year old boys are given mickey taking nicknames.
You can imagine what names my son* Belinda was called.

Perfect reason not to give a name like that to a child knowing they may
get some ridicule. Even though Lucifer will mostly be called "Lou", it
is still on school records, driver license, and will be known to others
to pick on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Blimey, are you Americans that sensitive that you can't take a bit of
ribbing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

BTW: Lucifer is 4,035th in popularity in the United States for boys in 2018
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 13:09:07 +0100, Bod wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

Agreed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 1:55 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 13:09:07 +0100, Bod wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

Agreed.

Most common baby boy's name in London is Mohamed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers Yorik.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2020-07-22 11:59 a.m., %% wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers* Yorik.

oh look it's the wanna be me again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

No, it's that you have some grudge against the US that makes you spend
hours looking for bad things about the US while denying that t he UK has
just as many faults, often like this case, the same faults. You should
really see a therapist about this. Maybe he can help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

I find fault in Trump, NOT America.
I've been there and loved it, met some great friendly guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Years ago we had a neighbor with 6 kids. The one younger one, Joey, was
often called Lucifer by others on the street and for good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Makes you wonder what #4034 and 4036 were.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 20:02:36 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/07/2020 19:59, %% wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers* Yorik.

I like it.

They talked about charging someone with child abuse for calling their
son Gaylord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*
Blimey, are you Americans that sensitive that you can't take a bit of
ribbing.

Years ago we had a neighbor with 6 kids. The one younger one, Joey, was
often called Lucifer by others on the street and for good reason.

Most kids here probably wouldn't even associate it with a devil.
I don't know anyone who goes to a church. My parents weren't religious
nor any of my grandparents.
Where you have churches everywhere, we have pubs :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Pubs are a better choice

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

I think you should ask a bunch instead of guessing. I would hate to
think that British kids are so ignorant of the English language.

I don't know anyone who goes to a church. My parents weren't religious
nor any of my grandparents.

As I said before, it doesn't matter. Educated people, even moderately
educated children normally know lots of things that have some
relationship to religion without them themselves being religious.

Do you think UK kids have heard of the 10 Commandments? Mt. Sinai. The
birth of Jesus in Bethlehem?

Do you think people have to be British to have heard of the Thames
River, or the Tower of London, or Big Ben, or Buckingham Palace?

Do t hey know about Roman chariot races or gladiator fights? Do they
have to be Roman to know that?

So why would htey have to be religious to know what Lucifer means?

Where you have churches everywhere, we have pubs :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Indeed and worshipping the brewery god is optional ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/07/2020 19:59, %% wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers* Yorik.

I like it.

They talked about charging someone with child abuse for calling their
son Gaylord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_Nelson
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

I never knew anything about the bible so I bought one and read it to
learn. Plenty of good salacious horror stories in there (if you like
that kind of thing).
I even tried going to a church for a while. I also joined a choir, but
only because I liked singing. I liked the atmosphere though, but it was
mostly boring.
I'd heard about a devil and a satan, but hadn't heard the word Lucifer
before.
You have to understand that it's very different over here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/07/2020 19:59, %% wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers* Yorik.

I like it.

They talked about charging someone with child abuse for calling their
son Gaylord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_Nelson

Well spotted, Sir :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 06:35:08 +0100, Bod
wrote:

[...]

So you're just generalizing from yourself. One person.

You have to understand that it's very different over here.

You have to understand that not everyone is like you. You shouldn't
have even said it in the first place, since you knew you were
generalizing from yourself alone.

So we don't know anything about what other Brits know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

UK secularism on rise as more than half say they have no
....www.theguardian.com world 2019 jul uk-secula...
10 Jul 2019 - The growth of secularism in the UK is unabated with fresh
data showing stark generational differences and a new confidence among
the non-religious to declare themselves atheist. Only 1% of people aged
18-24 identify as Church of England, according to the British Social
Attitudes (BSA) survey for 2018.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/07/2020 19:59, %% wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers* Yorik.

I like it.

Hmm, Kiroy backwards. Clever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/07/2020 19:59, %% wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

The Japs never did let theirs call their brat devil.

Mate of mine monstered his daughter into calling hers* Yorik.

I like it.

They talked about charging someone with child abuse for calling their
son Gaylord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_Nelson

I see the problem

"United States Senator and governor. A Democrat"

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/20 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

I tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means light-bringer and morning but she wouldnt listen.

It tells you something about religion, that religious people have chosen
THAT as something really bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/20 11:40 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[snip]

In my experience, 13-year-old boys will take any excuse to put a beatdown
on one of their classmates. An unusual name suffices.

Cindy Hamilton

If they can't find an excuse, they'll make one up.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It will yet be the proud boast of women that they never contributed a
line to the Bible." -- George W. Foote
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/07/2020 17:49, notX wrote:
On 7/22/20 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

I tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in
Greek means light-bringer and morning but she wouldnt listen.

It tells you something about religion, that religious people have chosen
THAT as something really bad.

Yes and ........

SHOCK CLAIM: Christians were WRONG to brand Satan evil
....www.express.co.uk News Science
22 Jul 2017 - CHRISTIANS were WRONG and misinterpreted the devil who is
not actually evil, according to one scientist.

What the Devil? Prince of Darkness Is Misunderstood, Says ...phys.org
Other Sciences Other
18 Aug 2006 - He's not the enemy of God, his name really isn't Lucifer
and he isn't even evil. And as far as leading Adam and Eve astray, that
was a bad rap ...

AND.....

5 things you didn't know about satanists - CNN - CNN.comedition.cnn.com
2015/12/11 living 5-things-satanists
11 Dec 2015 - Surprisingly, most card-carrying satanists do not worship
Satan or any other form of the devil -- they are actually atheists. The
Church of Satan, ...