Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default UK couple win bid to name son Lucifer

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 11:03:32 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:57:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 7/22/2020 8:09 AM, Bod wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...a34396bf6b5fc5

The idea that the government has to appreove names is looked on as
authoritarian or worse in the USA. And by me.

LOL. What a fuss over nothing.

It's not nothing.

I do feel bad for the kid as he grows up. No matter what the parents
say, the negative will always be there. Perception is everything.

But you're right.

“We were really excited to go and get him registered but the woman
looked at us in utter disgust,” Mr Sheldon said.

“She told us he would never be able to get a job, and that teachers
wouldn’t want to teach him.

Good advice, although he can still use another name for most purposes.

“I tried to explain that we are not religious people,

Which really has nothing to do with it.

and Lucifer in
Greek means ‘light-bringer’ and ‘morning’ but she wouldn’t listen.”

That's right. I looked this up or maybe just came across something a
few years ago and originally it was either the word Lucifer or the
original Hebrew that it translates that had no negative meaning. It was

Actually, In the book of Isaiah 14:12, the whole thing was a metaphor
for the king of Babylonia, a real, live (at the time) human being.
IIUC with some faults but a pretty good person altogeher and nowhere
near as bad as "the Devil".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

"light bearer" and referred to the morning "star", the planet Venus.
The "morning star" because it is often the bightest thing in the sky
shortly after dawn and before dark.

But despite all that, in English, Lucifer means "the Devil".

Well, wikip has more info than I remember reading, and apparently even
the planet Venus had negative connotations to some Europeans.