spoon2001

Default roof replacement bid - is this a reasonable bid?

Roofer has given me a bid for residential roof replacement in Austin, TX at
$155 per square, as follows:

$ 20 - tear out old shingles, adjuster's estimate
$ 101 - replace 3-tab asphalt shingles, adjuster's estimate
$ 12 - steep slope allowance, adjuster's estimate
$ 22 - upgrade from 3-tab asphalt to Atlas Pinnacle 35-year shingles
-------
$ 155 - Total per square

46.33 squares total will be replaced.

Price includes Cobra II ridge vents, new felt, inspect and replace decking
as required (4 pieces free), replace auto caulks/ lead risers as needed,
nail new shingles, protect plants, nail pickup, haul-off.

There is some rusty flashing around upstairs room, he didn't mention that.

Does this seem like a good bid to you? Too high?

Are the Atlas Pinnacle shingles good?

RicodJour

spoon2001 wrote:
Roofer has given me a bid for residential roof replacement in Austin, TX at
$155 per square, as follows:

$ 20 - tear out old shingles, adjuster's estimate
$ 101 - replace 3-tab asphalt shingles, adjuster's estimate
$ 12 - steep slope allowance, adjuster's estimate
$ 22 - upgrade from 3-tab asphalt to Atlas Pinnacle 35-year shingles
-------
$ 155 - Total per square

46.33 squares total will be replaced.

Price includes Cobra II ridge vents, new felt, inspect and replace decking
as required (4 pieces free), replace auto caulks/ lead risers as needed,
nail new shingles, protect plants, nail pickup, haul-off.

There is some rusty flashing around upstairs room, he didn't mention that.

Does this seem like a good bid to you? Too high?

Are the Atlas Pinnacle shingles good?

I can't comment on your local pricing as I'm a couple thousand miles
away, but I can tell you that while the prices seem reasonable, there
isn't enough information for a meaningful answer. Roof pitch (steep
can be anywhere from 7/12 up to 15/12 or more), valleys, hips, height
above grade (number of floors), number or existing layers of shingles,
etc. will affect the price quite substantially.

Not familiar with Atlas, but upgrading to a dimensional shingle is
always a good idea in my book.

Flashings can be a big bite, make sure that you have adequately
addressed that before signing anything.

Whatever you are planning on doing, I suggest you do it as soon as
possible. There is a large black hole on the Gulf coast that will be
sucking down labor and materials at an amazing rate.

Vic Dura

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:58:47 -0500, "spoon2001"
wrote Re roof replacement bid - is this a
reasonable bid?:

Roofer has given me a bid for residential roof replacement in Austin, TX at
$155 per square, as follows:

Sounds reasonable for your area. The best way to tell is to get 2 more
estimates and check out references.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Sacramento Dave

You would be 2 1/2 to 3 times that hear. !800 sq ft house is about $12000.
Our friends just redid their house about 2,000 sq ft. one story with cement
shingle $22,000' Welcome to CA.