jestruch

Default DE vs sand pool filters

Can anyone recommend/comment on the Hayward pool filters. Am I better
off buying a DE filter or a sand filter. How about the ongoing
maintenance costs?
Appreciate any advice.
Travis Jordan

jestruch wrote:
Can anyone recommend/comment on the Hayward pool filters. Am I better
off buying a DE filter or a sand filter. How about the ongoing
maintenance costs?
Appreciate any advice.

DE filters do a 'finer' job of removing particulates. I've had both -
the DE filter requires a little more maintenance since you have to flush
and replace the DE from time to time, more frequently than you have to
replace the sand filter contents. But I like the way my water looks
with the DE filter.

MC

A properly maintained sand filter system is the way to go, my opinion. I
have had both, I got tired of replacing cartridges, Could clean a couple of
times but would soon fail. If I do it again I am going back to sand.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
jestruch wrote:
Can anyone recommend/comment on the Hayward pool filters. Am I better
off buying a DE filter or a sand filter. How about the ongoing
maintenance costs?
Appreciate any advice.

DE filters do a 'finer' job of removing particulates. I've had both -
the DE filter requires a little more maintenance since you have to flush
and replace the DE from time to time, more frequently than you have to
replace the sand filter contents. But I like the way my water looks
with the DE filter.

Travis Jordan

jestruch wrote:
Can anyone recommend/comment on the Hayward pool filters. Am I
better off buying a DE filter or a sand filter. How about the
ongoing maintenance costs?
Appreciate any advice.

DE filters do a 'finer' job of removing particulates. I've had both
- the DE filter requires a little more maintenance since you have to
flush and replace the DE from time to time, more frequently than you
have to replace the sand filter contents. But I like the way my
water looks with the DE filter.

Wow - I had a Pentair DE filter whose cartridge was replaced only once
in it's 19-year life. Eventually the stainless steel filter body
developed a pinhole, so I replaced it with a new Pentair fiberglass
model. The cartirdges are interchangeable, so I kept my old ones as
spares.

Justa Lurker

"MC" wrote in message ...
A properly maintained sand filter system is the way to go, my opinion. I
have had both, I got tired of replacing cartridges, Could clean a couple of
times but would soon fail. If I do it again I am going back to sand.

Normally DE cartidges will last for years if not overpressured. Did
you know that you aren't supposed to run water through the cartridges
without DE in them?

Greg

However, there is a
sandtype called zeolite which filters just as good as DE

The same stuff as they use in a water softener?
MC

I should have read better, I assumed when cartridge was mentioned that was
talking about the paper cartridge systems, mostly used on spas and above
ground pools but had a larger version on an inground.

MC

Dustfoe 88 filters Sasha Woodworking 5 June 9th 04 10:09 PM
Reverse Osmosis Water filters Steve Home Repair 18 February 16th 04 06:08 AM
Cermic Filters. Jamie Electronics Repair 0 February 9th 04 12:28 PM
April Air filters Norris Watkins Home Repair 6 January 22nd 04 09:53 PM
Water filters. Whole house? Shower head? Don Wiss Home Repair 7 October 27th 03 12:56 AM