MC

I should have read better, I assumed when cartridge was mentioned that was
talking about the paper cartridge systems, mostly used on spas and above
ground pools but had a larger version on an inground.

MC
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
MC wrote:
A properly maintained sand filter system is the way to go, my
opinion. I have had both, I got tired of replacing cartridges, Could
clean a couple of times but would soon fail. If I do it again I am
going back to sand.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
jestruch wrote:
Can anyone recommend/comment on the Hayward pool filters. Am I
better off buying a DE filter or a sand filter. How about the
ongoing maintenance costs?
Appreciate any advice.

DE filters do a 'finer' job of removing particulates. I've had both
- the DE filter requires a little more maintenance since you have to
flush and replace the DE from time to time, more frequently than you
have to replace the sand filter contents. But I like the way my
water looks with the DE filter.

Wow - I had a Pentair DE filter whose cartridge was replaced only once
in it's 19-year life. Eventually the stainless steel filter body
developed a pinhole, so I replaced it with a new Pentair fiberglass
model. The cartirdges are interchangeable, so I kept my old ones as
spares.