Don Wiss

Default Water filters. Whole house? Shower head?

I find water filtering to be awfully complex. I don't want to drink
fluoride or chlorine.

For drinking water I'm now drinking Mountain Spring in the clear plastic
jugs. I'm happy with this. When I renovate my kitchen I could put in
reverse osmosis, but then I'd be taking out the calcium and magnesium.
Living alone, bottled water isn't all that expensive.

But what about showering? I like to get rid of the chlorine there. Then
what else shouldn't be in my shower water?

Coming from the mercola.com web site it sends you to
http://www.aquamd.com/main/watercheck.cfm where they give you a free water
check up. It basically has a database of the water reports that each water
system must file. With commentary added by someone, either Mercola or
AquaMD. It does not list chlorine or fluoride levels. Not surprising, as
the water authorities add it and think they are beneficial. I added the red
color for ones out of range. Here's what it has for me:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/WaterTestResults.htm

But what gets confusing is just what filters remove what? The water
pressure in the fourth floor shower isn't all that strong. Do shower head
filters only remove chlorine? The whole house filters presumably remove
much more. But do they remove things that I'd like removed? Such as what is
red on my report?

Thanks, Don donwiss at panix.com
mark Ransley

Scrap the bottled, a good undersink will do just as good or better .
For a shower, well those are small , and probably have a short life.
House hold , are usualy sediment filters, although my small GE says it
removes chlorene. R.O. waiste water, and remove important minerals,
They are overkill for most.

Don Wiss

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Don Wiss wrote in message
For drinking water I'm now drinking Mountain Spring in the clear plastic
jugs.

I might suggest you may want to re-consider that bottled water. It has
been found that those plastic containers add some far more harmful
contaminates to the water than the ones you are worried about. Not enough
to kill you and unless you leave the water sitting in the jugs for extended
times they should not hurt you, but I would rather not have it.

Depends on the type of plastic. As I noted I buy my water in the clear
plastic jugs. Those are PET plastic. The water in the cloudy softer HDPE
plastic are the ones where the chemicals leech into the water.

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Thanks, Don donwiss at panix.com

You have some serious problems with that water based on the limited
analysis. It isn't all that good in just about all areas shown. The 6 pH
should be in red too. Along with all the things a pH that low can do and
then add to the water.

You need POE treatment rather than just certain things related to the
shower and the things mentioned in the drinking part of the subject.

The acidity has to be buffered or it will eat copper and leach lead out
of lead based solder and brass fixtures/fittings. Pinhole leaks in
copper tubing is a huge problem and although acidity isn't not the only
cause, it is the primary cause in the majority of cases. Your water is
extremely hard and high in TDS so I really question the validity of the
pH result. Nitrate is very high although 10 ppm is allowed, it is a
carcinogen and causes serious health problems in a fetus and infants
while pregnant women should not be using water with that level of
nitrate in it.

I suggest you get in touch with a water treatment dealer. The proper RO
would greatly reduce/remove those parameters that RO and distillation
are used for. The rest needs other types of treatment.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Joseph Meehan

Gary and I often have different opinions. However in this case I have
to totally agree. This sounds like someone who should have a professional
help him address the complex issues of water quality.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Gary Slusser" wrote in message

"Don Wiss" wrote
[...]

Don Wiss

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:04:03 GMT, "Gary Slusser" wrote:

Don Wiss wrote
Here's what it has for me:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/WaterTestResults.htm

You need POE treatment rather than just certain things related to the
shower and the things mentioned in the drinking part of the subject.

I suggest you get in touch with a water treatment dealer. The proper RO
would greatly reduce/remove those parameters that RO and distillation
are used for. The rest needs other types of treatment.

But RO and distillation are not options for POE. And getting in touch with
a water treatment dealer isn't going to get me unbiased opinions. They are
going to push what they sell.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Gary Slusser

"Don Wiss" wrote
"Gary Slusser" wrote:

Don Wiss wrote
Here's what it has for me:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/WaterTestResults.htm

You need POE treatment rather than just certain things related to the
shower and the things mentioned in the drinking part of the subject.

I suggest you get in touch with a water treatment dealer. The proper

RO
would greatly reduce/remove those parameters that RO and distillation
are used for. The rest needs other types of treatment.

But RO and distillation are not options for POE. And getting in touch

with
a water treatment dealer isn't going to get me unbiased opinions. They

are
going to push what they sell.

Don donwiss at panix.com.

You also have biases and they along with your problem water are at odds,
but what do you base that opinion on?

I'm an independent dealer and like most others, I would first tell you
what type of equipment you could use for the jobs your water calls for.
Then I'd tell you what I think you should use based on the overall
picture of your application and installation needs. Then I'd give you
the price of maybe as many as three different ways to treat your water
quality problems and have you ask questions and go shop around. You
don't know it but the vast majority of those folks that don't 'buy'
then, come back and 'buy' from me after talking to usually, national
brand name franchisee type dealers' sales force personnel.

Should I tell you that there is RO for POE applications? Certainly you
don't think my telling you that when I sell them, changes the accuracy
of my statement somehow. But I didn't mean POE RO or distillation, I
meant the absolutely needed pretreatment needs for either. If you want a
quote, email works.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Thanks, Don donwiss at panix.com

[...]

Well thanks Joe. I've decided to let you slide on your other post above.
There's too many points I'd need to deal with to straighten you out
but.... this one is right on. I've been doing just what you suggest for
15 years and successfully treat water much worse than his. When it comes
to real 'problem water', if it's made, I have it available from the
world's largest manufacturers.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Shower leak Dan Harms Home Repair 8 October 21st 03 01:03 AM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM
Water softner for shower Sue Mortimore UK diy 20 July 16th 03 04:30 PM